• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Instant Replay debates

steveringo

People's Front of Judea
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are your general thoughts about instant replay in baseball?

I've always been opposed to changes, but I don't mind it for HR/Foul ball calls. As long as MLB doesn't half-ass it, I'd be ok with adding more. If they add one ump to each game for the sole purpose of reviewing plays, it might work....

Last night's Red Sox game might bring into light adding more rules to replay. Toronto scores two runs on an umpire interference that should have been called back. Saltalamcchia did not know the ball he tossed into the outfield should have been ruled dead, and the "replacement" ump apparently thought salty hit him after the throw - which Salty claims would have been impossible... Anyway, those two early runs in a slugfest that ended 9-7 could really have altered the outcome...

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of baseball's biggest issues is it's inability to adapt and evolve. Everyone argues that it would take forever but I disagree. Should it be used to call balls and strikes? Absolutely not. However any questionable scoring play should be reviewed. You have the technology why not use it? To cling to some illusion that the game is exactly the same as it was in the past? That's just dumb.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few plays that need instant replay... HRs,Foul balls and trapped balls are really the only things i think should get replayed...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a traditionalist (DH? BLECH!!), but I am a HUGE proponent of instant replay. I actually want them to look into automating balls and strikes. We have PitchFX, let's use it!

As for balls-in-play replay, I think any play requiring replay where there is no one on base should be reviewable. Because of the timing of the game, most everything with runners on needs to be called on-field (not fair/foul or HRs, though, they should be reviewable).

The way they currently do it is a joke, though. Having the umps run off the field to all huddle over a monitor is horrid. They need a 5th ump in the booth who controls this and his call stands. Weather he can make his own calls, or needs to be asked will need to be debated though. I do not have a strong opinion at this point on that issue.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Home runs and fouls balls for sure.