• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Injury Updates

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought I'd start a thread that shows updates on guys who are injured. Found these tidbits on sfgiants.com:
Jarlin García, who was claimed off waivers from the Marlins in February, faced hitters for the first time Monday in Sacramento.
Drew Smyly (left index finger sprain) will not throw for the next seven to 10 days and remains in San Francisco. He will be re-evaluated when the team returns home.
Sam Coonrod (grade 1 right lat strain) is expected to start a throwing program by the weekend. He continues to receive physical therapy and will be evaluated at the end of the week.
Trevor Cahill (right index fingernail injury) threw a live batting practice session Monday in Sacramento and is on track to throw a simulated game this week.
Yolmer Sánchez (back spasms) has initiated all baseball activity in Sacramento and could participate in simulated games this weekend. Kapler considers him a “defensive plus,” but there is no rush to get him back.
“I don’t think it make sense to rush any process,” Kapler said. “With Yolmer’s back tightness, the number one factor to consider is when he is healthy.”
• Reyes Moronta was cleared to report to the Giants’ alternate training site in Sacramento, where he will continue to rehab from right shoulder surgery. Manager Gabe Kapler said Moronta is set to begin a throwing program, stoking optimism that the 27-year-old right-hander could be ready to return to the Majors before the end of the regular season.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the team website:
Reliever Sam Coonrod (right lat strain) touched 100 mph in his first rehab appearance with Sacramento. Kapler said he will likely need to log one more outing before he’s ready to return to the Majors.

“His first outing in Sacramento was great,” Kapler said. “He was really letting it go, so that tells us that he’s on track to being healthy. I think we would like to see at least one more appearance out of him. Assuming that goes well, he’s a good candidate to come back and stabilize our bullpen as well.”

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN:
Manager Gabe Kapler said Austin Slater (groin) is "progressing nicely" and is set to "begin ramping up his baseball activities" Monday at the Giants' alternate training site in Sacramento, Evan Webeck of The San Jose Mercury News reports.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the team website:

Kapler said the Giants will consider using right-hander Jeff Samardzija out of the bullpen once he’s ready to return from the injured list, though no decision has been made yet.

Samardzija, 35, logged a 9.88 ERA over his first three starts of the year before landing on the injured list with right shoulder inflammation on Aug. 8. He and lefty Drew Smyly each threw three innings in a simulated game at Oracle Park on Saturday, but the Giants are still determining the next steps for the veteran pitchers.

“I think both are on the table, both starting a game for us and potentially coming in in a relief role,” Kapler said of Samardzija. “Building up a little bit more is also an option.”

The Giants have only 20 games left over the final three weeks of the regular season, but Kapler said he believes there will be a role for Samardzija as he nears the end of the five-year, $90 million contract he signed in December 2015.

“He's certainly not been forgotten,” Kapler said. “We've been working as hard with Jeff as we have with Drew. We're constantly looking for the way that we can get them healthy, keep them strong and give them meaningful roles on our team.”

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody heard anything about Austin Slater? I know that his elbow issue is preventing him from playing the field. In spite of that, the Giants activated him, presumably to get his bat in the lineup, on September 5th and started him that day. He goes 0 for 5 that day and then 2 for 4 the next day, both as the DH. He hasn't started a game since then and hasn't appeared in any games since the 8th, as a pinch runner. Then the Giants get Justin Smoak to platoon at DH with Wilmer Flores. I guess I don't really understand why have Slater as an active player when he isn't healthy enough to do anything but hit and then isn't given the opportunity to hit for a week! Why not place him back on the IL and call up Jaylin Davis, Chris Shaw, Daniel Robertson or Steven Duggar?

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN:

RHP Jeff Samardzija, sidelined by an inflamed pitching shoulder, is expected to throw five innings in a simulated game Thursday at the club's Sacramento alternate site. ... RHP Reyes Moronta (right shoulder surgery) threw in Sacramento. He still could get into a major league game by season's end. "We're going to monitor him at every outing, and figure out how he bounces back," manger Gabe Kapler said. "But so far, his stuff has been crisp, and it's been trending up."

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From ESPN:

RHP Jeff Samardzija, sidelined by an inflamed pitching shoulder, is expected to throw five innings in a simulated game Thursday at the club's Sacramento alternate site. ... RHP Reyes Moronta (right shoulder surgery) threw in Sacramento. He still could get into a major league game by season's end. "We're going to monitor him at every outing, and figure out how he bounces back," manger Gabe Kapler said. "But so far, his stuff has been crisp, and it's been trending up."
You have the best intel.

And I think we can all agree we don't miss Shark.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have the best intel.

And I think we can all agree we don't miss Shark.
Thank you. Thank you. 1600367018043.png
(Although, I think that most guys on here have better intel and just don't bother to share it).

And no, Shark's performances have not been missed.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank you. Thank you. View attachment 253492
(Although, I think that most guys on here have better intel and just don't bother to share it).

And no, Shark's performances have not been missed.
It seems that gifs don't work anymore. At least not the way they used to. Let's try this.
classic film bow GIF by Warner Archive

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pitching staff as a whole is pretty healthy. This may be an advantage heading into the stretch and (hopefully) the playoffs.

There are a TON of pitcher injuries this year.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pitching staff as a whole is pretty healthy. This may be an advantage heading into the stretch and (hopefully) the playoffs.

There are a TON of pitcher injuries this year.
Yeah, in a year where so many pitchers have been placed on the IL, the Giants has been relatively unscathed. I think only three pitchers (Coonrod, Samardzija and Smyly) have gone on the IL since the season started (not counting Beede, J Garcia or Moronta since they all went on the IL before the season).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From the team webpage:
Jeff Samardzija (right shoulder impingement) was scheduled to pitch three innings at the alternate site in Sacramento on Monday. Kapler said the Giants view the 35-year-old veteran as a candidate to start one of the club’s doubleheader games against the Padres on Friday. Samardzija, who is in the final year of the five-year, $90 million contract he signed with the Giants in December 2015, logged a 9.88 ERA over three starts before landing on the IL on Aug. 8