• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In the playoffs: Broncos vs Opponents

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am like a junky right now, every 10 minutes or so seeing if any news on the Broncos hits the press. Like Manning's retirement, Jackson's contract, etc. So to pass the time I thought I'd visit the archives again and post some notes on the Broncos and their playoff opponents. This year was interesting because in the playoffs the Broncos faced their two most frequent playoff rivals: The Steelers and Patriots.

Here are the Broncos top 4 playoff opponents, number of games, and the Broncos W-L record vs this opponent:

Pittsburg Steelers: 8 playoff games, 5-3

New England Patriots: 5 playoff games, 4-1

Cleveland Browns: 3 playoff games: 3-0

Indianapolis Colts: 3 playoff games: 0-3

I stopped at 4 because there's a whole slew of playoff opponents that the Broncos have played twice.

Some random thoughts:

The Broncos have three times defeated the Patriots in the BB/Brady era, including ending a 10-0 run under the leadership of Jake Plummer and one of the team's more solid defenses post-Orange Crush. The other two wins have come in the Manning era and were in the AFCCG. The lone loss was the Tebow-led Broncos.

The Broncos are 2-1 against the Roethlisberger Steelers, one of the most successful teams in this era of football. The loss came in the AFCCG against the afore mentioned Jake Plummer-led Broncos. The wins were with Tebow in that improbably WC win in OT. That is still one of my favorite playoff games ever. The other win was the most recent game between the two, a 23-16 win for the Broncos en route to their third Super Bowl.

All of the wins over the Browns go back to the 80s. No surprise there, the new Browns have made the playoffs only once and that was in 2002. That year the Broncos missed the playoffs. Seems weird, doesn't it: a year in which the Browns make the playoffs and the Broncos don't?

The Broncos really need to clean up their record in the playoffs against the Colts, especially since all three of those Colts teams went on to get smoked by the Patriots. I'm not sure what it is about the Colts that brings out the worst in the Broncos but I'd like to see them get over it and fast. Maybe Osweiler will have better luck against them than Plummer and (ironically enough) Manning.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was the same problem all three times - Peyton Manning.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am like a junky right now, every 10 minutes or so seeing if any news on the Broncos hits the press. Like Manning's retirement, Jackson's contract, etc. So to pass the time I thought I'd visit the archives again and post some notes on the Broncos and their playoff opponents. This year was interesting because in the playoffs the Broncos faced their two most frequent playoff rivals: The Steelers and Patriots.

Here are the Broncos top 4 playoff opponents, number of games, and the Broncos W-L record vs this opponent:

Pittsburg Steelers: 8 playoff games, 5-3

New England Patriots: 5 playoff games, 4-1

Cleveland Browns: 3 playoff games: 3-0

Indianapolis Colts: 3 playoff games: 0-3

I stopped at 4 because there's a whole slew of playoff opponents that the Broncos have played twice.

Some random thoughts:

The Broncos have three times defeated the Patriots in the BB/Brady era, including ending a 10-0 run under the leadership of Jake Plummer and one of the team's more solid defenses post-Orange Crush. The other two wins have come in the Manning era and were in the AFCCG. The lone loss was the Tebow-led Broncos.

The Broncos are 2-1 against the Roethlisberger Steelers, one of the most successful teams in this era of football. The loss came in the AFCCG against the afore mentioned Jake Plummer-led Broncos. The wins were with Tebow in that improbably WC win in OT. That is still one of my favorite playoff games ever. The other win was the most recent game between the two, a 23-16 win for the Broncos en route to their third Super Bowl.

All of the wins over the Browns go back to the 80s. No surprise there, the new Browns have made the playoffs only once and that was in 2002. That year the Broncos missed the playoffs. Seems weird, doesn't it: a year in which the Browns make the playoffs and the Broncos don't?

The Broncos really need to clean up their record in the playoffs against the Colts, especially since all three of those Colts teams went on to get smoked by the Patriots. I'm not sure what it is about the Colts that brings out the worst in the Broncos but I'd like to see them get over it and fast. Maybe Osweiler will have better luck against them than Plummer and (ironically enough) Manning.

Here is a my pet peeve of all thought processes ..

Don't build a team for any one team... Fox and Elway let the Sea hawks get under there skin to the point crazy..

Instead keep what you do well ... and add to what you don't

Alex Gibbs went nuts on the sideline during the SB for a reason ... We went power and it bit us in the ass ..

Then there was a reason why gibbs quit ... we doubled down on power ..

There is a reason NE has stayed relevant ..they prepare for all teams . all schemes... And they stay true to what they do good ..

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a my pet peeve of all thought processes ..

Don't build a team for any one team... Fox and Elway let the Sea hawks get under there skin to the point crazy..

Instead keep what you do well ... and add to what you don't

Alex Gibbs went nuts on the sideline during the SB for a reason ... We went power and it bit us in the ass ..

Then there was a reason why gibbs quit ... we doubled down on power ..

There is a reason NE has stayed relevant ..they prepare for all teams . all schemes... And they stay true to what they do good ..
Elway saw what Seattle did to Denver and wanted to build a defense capable of doing that to other teams. Considering we just won the Super Bowl, I'd say it worked.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I would tell you not really .That O was still sitting there IMO and it still is .

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will agree to disagree with the whole lot of you ...

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway saw what Seattle did to Denver and wanted to build a defense capable of doing that to other teams. Considering we just won the Super Bowl, I'd say it worked.
Also that D was there all along

Tebow had that D

Our D staff sucked ass .. Look what Wade did with the same fellers

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tebow had that D

The only players left from the Tebow d are David Bruton (who was just a special teamer at the time), Chris Harris, Jr (promising rookie nickel corner) and Von Miller.

The 2013 d was destroyed by injuries. Only Malik Jackson, Sylvester Williams, and Danny Trevathan started both Super Bowls on defense.

Really it wasn't the same defense until 2013, but even then we had a major upgrade with Darian Stewart over Rahim Moore. But yes, Wade Phillips made a huge difference.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only players left from the Tebow d are David Bruton (who was just a special teamer at the time), Chris Harris, Jr (promising rookie nickel corner) and Von Miller.

The 2013 d was destroyed by injuries. Only Malik Jackson, Sylvester Williams, and Danny Trevathan started both Super Bowls on defense.

Really it wasn't the same defense until 2013, but even then we had a major upgrade with Darian Stewart over Rahim Moore. But yes, Wade Phillips made a huge difference.

Actually really 2014 is when we got the defense we have today for the most part. That is when we signed Talib, Ware, and Ward who really helped change the attitude of the entire defense. To me though you can't really say any of the defenses were the same as we have gone through 3 coaching changes on the defensive side of the ball, many different players, different schemes, and much more. Throw in the growth of the players makes a huge difference. To me last year this defense even with Wade would not be what it was this year. Sly Williams was not the player he is today. Wolfe was still struggling through his injury and other issues. Malik while a great player was still more a rotational piece than starter. Brandon Marshall was just starting to find his stride in the league. Roby was a rookie and while he had some moments he also got burned a lot more than he did this season. So to me this year just happened to be the planets aligning for us to have the defense we did. Throw in we didn't really have many season ending injuries. We had some that caused guys to miss games but we were fortunate that for the most part our starting defense in game 1 was the starting defense in the Super Bowl

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct, @cdumler7. I meant 2014, the 2013 was a typo or maybe a brain fart. But yeah, when we signed Ware, Ward, and Talib, that's more or less the same defense we had this year, minus a player or two.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tebow had that D

That is so not true. You should really do your homework Crash before you post. Same "fellers "Yikes!. Not even close.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is so not true. You should really do your homework Crash before you post. Same "fellers "Yikes!. Not even close.

And you should think before you shit your Chaps ..

Our D was Killer the year Tebow was our QB .

And two years ago we had 99% of this D in place and JDR shit the bed with this in place ....He sucks I wish him nothing but very bad luck !!!

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was all but running out the f'ing door weeks before we lost telling everyone he could how great it was going to be being a Raider .. trying to start a fight with Elway still has my fur up .. I hope one of our QB's plug him in the back of the head at 50yards away

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DE DeVile was a damn fine player that year ..Our D was setting Records and Tebow was firing them up ..

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
20th in yards and 24th in points against. Not exactly.

In the games they won with Tebow, defense 15.5 ppg. and the offense averaged 19.25 with and without Tebow
so the defense played a lot better when they won.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
m
In the games they won with Tebow, defense 15.5 ppg. and the offense averaged 19.25 with and without Tebow
so the defense played a lot better when they won.

Thank you I knew he was full of frozen road apples ..You sir are a stud CEH ..just like our D that year when Tebow was in ..

Tebow helps D's out buy one pumping them up ! the other is controlling the clock .

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has anyone ever hit a frozen pile of Road apples ? I have thinking I was going to be funny about busted my neck..

Manimal Sighting

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
m

Thank you I knew he was full of frozen road apples ..You sir are a stud CEH ..just like our D that year when Tebow was in ..

Tebow helps D's out buy one pumping them up ! the other is controlling the clock .
Oh funny, thought for sure you would go with the more accurate 'helps them out with his 3 and outs and turnovers'

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh funny, thought for sure you would go with the more accurate 'helps them out with his 3 and outs and turnovers'

Yeah not sure how running the ball 3 straight times and sending the defense back out on the field is helping our defense. You can say he motivated them but I also know some players have said since Tebow left that they were tired of the side show. The defense was none too happy that Tebow would get the credit for the win when they were the ones that kept them in the game.