• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In the 2011 NHL Draft...

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NJ Devils Selected Adam Larsson.

At this time, based on your expectations and conclusion on his potential/future outlook, was Adam Larsson the right pick?

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
A lot of people will say d men take longer to develope which is true. But he hasn't really wowed me this season. Also I can't think of many players picked after him playing in the nhl. I know coutier is playing in philly. But if you mean out of the whole draft? Lamdeskog is having a nice year and would be looking good on our second line instead of sykora

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the players that were available at that time Larsson was the obv choice then and its obv now. We needed that young Dman and even though he's had a couple of head scratchers this season Id prefer him over Strome and Coutuirier because of the position need.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is purely for converstion/debate as always.

To Cup's point, looking at who was taken after, I honestly can't name a guy who's playing in the NHL or making an impact/buzz out there. Coutier is the one guy playing well at a position of need but defense was the need for us back then.

I honestly don't see Larsson being a great Dmen at all. Using his rookie year as my sample, I don't really see a drive or a killer instinct from him. Maybe the nerves in playing in the Pros at a young age? Body wise needs to mature but that's a given.

What made him such a highly touted prospect? Hasn't shown me a blazing slapshot or a tendency to attack the net aggressively(perhaps the system here denies it?) He can handle the puck and make a pass but not exactly deal breakers for me.

Defensively nothing to holler about IMHO. Again, youth, inexperience i get that but guys who play defense knows defense. My expecatations must've been too high IDK... I rather see a guy get blasted/beaten for trying and hustling rather than looking lost and lazy.

Heck, I was/would be one to say the defense was better with him out of the lineup lol....

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we expected him to come in and take over games, which is a little too much to ask for a rookie. He has shown he can handle a lot of ice time which is a plus. There are times where he looks brilliant carrying the puck.

I think it is a matter of maturing and developing mentally. The misreads, the turnovers, should all decrease as we move on and I have faith that they will. I'd also like him to add some muscle to that frame in the offseason so he could be more phsyical along the boards.

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think he was clearly the right pick. I'm not too happy about him being rushed to the nhl though. Should have stayed in sweden and worked on his offensive game

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
He was the 4th player picked out of hundreds that has to count towards something on being ready. Like calamity said his slap shot or willingness and even timing of him shooting leaves much to be desired. I'm not writing the kid off at all but at #4 I was expecting a little more that's all.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm reaching here, but I think the fact Tallinder has been out has hurt his progress as well. Both Swedish, both similar size, similar game, Larsson could have learned a lot and gained a lot more confidence with a guy like Tallinder in the lineup. There would also be far less pressure on him.

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pressure shouldn't be an issue. He played against men twice his age in sweeden I remember hearing. You have a legend in Robinson teaching you. One thing I would like maybe for someone other then Robinson to coach the defense

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow yeah that is a wakeup call hopefully.

I wonder why more euros don't come over and play in the juniors? Would cut down on the learning curve and smaller rinks

MCDevils

NJ Devils: Sweden West
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've been waiting on this thread for about a month.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Larsson was a bad pick at all. Given him time. He's still a kid. This is his first year in North America after all.

Yeah, like I previously said, maybe "my" personal expectations for him were too much? But to be considered for such a high pick, I thought he would be more or at least show more positive all-star like outlook?

devils30mb

King "Marty" Kong
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give him some time as he is still young.

Take a look at Erik Karlsson who is 21 and one of the better offensive producing defence currently out there and can play decent D. His first couple of years in the NHL was for maturing/adapting. Now in his 3rd year he really excelled.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look at the Flyers, they have two pretty solid rookies in Matt Read and Sean Couturier. Now, Matt Read's point production is more than twice that of Sean Couturier's. Read was UNDRAFTED while Couturier was picked just after Larsson.

I still have very high expectations for Adam Larsson and I really think he will live up to them. He played pretty well out of the gate this season then cooled off a lot. He was supposed to be the most "NHL ready" prospect heading into last June's draft. My question is: How can you be NHL ready without ever playing in the NHL yet? The Swedish Elite League is solid but it's not the NHL. Give him some time!

nj_cup

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i think to be nhl ready you should have been playing your games in north america. ladeskog is the most nhl ready. thats not a knock on larrson because d men do take longer to develop.

speaking of the draft though i am really shocked at hopkins i really thought he was going to be a bust!

MadCaptain

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I never really thought Hopkins was gonna be a bust, I expected him to be similar to Scott Gomez but he has surprised me with his goal scoring. He's still been mismanaged and rushed up. got hurt and is suffering through a bad team. I do not like teams that bring up players into a failing environment. It leads to so many bad habits that usually cant be fixed