• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In defense of Torres

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyler Dellow ... attorney ... says it isnt a defense of Torres but seems like it is to me

in summary ... "Torres' has always played on the edge; is it his fault that hockey is redefining where the edge should be?"

interesting read Cost of a big hit | mc79hockey.com ... good comments section too - i still think his continued repeated stupidity needs to be punished severely

I initially had a whole thing written about Torres, offering some defence of him. I decided to delete it. I don’t intend to pick on Spector here – he’s not alone in having swung so much against hits like the one Torres threw on Hossa. The fact of the matter is, what’s acceptable in hockey is changing and it’s made a bit more complicated by the fact that the role of hitting has changed over the years. Whereas it used to be about separating players from the puck, it’s become de rigeur to put hit a guy even once he’s released the puck. The longer a guy has to be worry about getting drilled after losing the puck, the more likely his attention will waver and the more likely he’ll get caught by someone who made a bad decision.

As far as I can tell, nobody can say that the hit on Hossa was anything more than a hockey play that he botched. Like screwing up his timing on a shot, only with a guy leaving the ice on a stretcher. You can say he jumped – he did come off the ice – but if Hossa’s a step closer, Torres drives up through his chest with his legs, which is sort of the textbook way to hit these days. It’s funny – I’m not sure the whole “Are his feet on the ice?” standard even makes any sense. I’m not a physicist but it seems unlikely to me that there’s much difference between driving through a guy with your legs and jumping – driving through a guy with your legs is just a jump that ran into something. One’s legal, the other isn’t.

Whatever you might say about Torres, he doesn’t have the track record of a guy like Matt Cooke. He doesn’t have a rap sheet full of nasty elbows, cross checks to the face, knee on knee hits or dangerous hits from behind. Spector says he’s predatory and, in a sense, I suppose he is. He’s close enough to the edge though that on basically all of the plays that people condemn (Ference was an exception), you can say it’s a hockey play gone wrong. Some of them, like the Eberle hit, are still difficult to understand (at the very least, the elbowing major was incomprehensible). Whether it’s Torres or someone else, as long as the line is drawn where it currently is, a guy who makes what can reasonably be seen as a mistake in judgment is going to result in guys getting absolutely destroyed.

In other words, Torres isn’t really the problem. The problem, to the extent that there is one, is a system of rules that renders guys fair game for a long time after they get rid of the puck. The problem is a mishmash rule about when you can hit a guy in the head. As long as hits like the Torres hit can be within a step of being legal, guys are going to miss their assessment of the line and cross it. When you draw these lines, you have to allow for some user error – it’s a fast game. Drawing the lines where the NHL has drawn them, you’re just begging for incidents like Torres on Hossa. The easy thing to do afterwards is to pretend that Torres is a really dirty player and that he always has been.

That doesn’t make it the truth and, if it’s not the truth, suspending Torres for ten games doesn’t really do anything to address the problem. Listing his history of hits that are over the line misleads, because, as Spector used to know, those hits were clean hockey hits for a long time. If you’re worked up about the Hossa hit and don’t acknowledge that the line being drawn where it is practically begs for guys to miss the line like Torres did, well, I don’t think you’re serious about solving the problem. You want the morality of being outraged while still getting the rush of watching all the awesome hits that fall on just the right side of the line (or that involve a star, or where the hittee doesn’t get hurt and we pretend it wasn’t as bad as the Torres hit).

The world does not, I would suggest, work that way. As long as you have a line, you’re going to have people who, in good faith, miss it. Condemning them for doing that might result in a pleasing sense of moral goodness, but it’s not a serious way to eliminate these sorts of incident in the future

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too long, didn't read. :p

But seriously, I'll read it on my lunch break.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I don't agree with him regarding this hit necessarily, he brings up some good points about how we tend to overreact to hits that were legal 5 years ago. It's a similar situation with the NFL. It's easy for us to make the transition from what is acceptable and not as spectators, but for guys that have been playing a certain way their entire careers, it's much more difficult to simply flip a switch and have their game change instantly.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really dont think Torres intended to injure Hossa but Ive said it in other posts ... he needs to have the book thrown at him for the repeated illegal hits. I think people are seeing him as pure evil and dont think he has any remorse because after the hits he keeps chanting the same dumb mantra "hockey play ... just finishing my check ... I hope he's ok". Its him robotically and emotionessly trying to deflect guilt.

the whole thing about constantly "redefining the edge" is difficult to assess. Should we expect guys like Torres to change the way they hit when rules are constantly being changed when theyve been using the same hitting technique for their entire hockey playing career?

Then again, isnt 1 year enough time to adjust your behavior? And arent 2 suspensions in one year enough for a player to adjust the way he hits?

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't know why people act like this is something new for Torres, he has behaved this way since he entered the league, the dude is just as dirty as Cooke.

Sharks fans don't forget.

Torres must pay.

p.s. see you at breakfast!

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torres knew what he was doing the whole time and he left the ice to deliver a punishing hit to Hossa. That wasn't a check to separate a guy from the puck, that was a hit to put a guy out of commission.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Torres knew what he was doing the whole time and he left the ice to deliver a punishing hit to Hossa. That wasn't a check to separate a guy from the puck, that was a hit to put a guy out of commission.

Absolutely. Sometimes when a guy leaves his feet it is because he's bracing for a collision with a guy who knows he's coming. This isn't even remotely the case here.

Torres jumps to inflict maximum damage. Get rid of him.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1

there's nothing technically illegal about that.
Brown's hit on Henrik (which i have maintained was clean from the start) was exactly that.
the puck was already gone, that hit was to hurt. but it was within the rules, because it was 0.4 seconds after the puck was gone instead of 0.8 seconds (or whatever the timing was)

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you guys are saying he intended to injure him? and the intent wasnt to intimidate the shit out of the blackhawks with a massive bone crushing hit?

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I’m not a physicist but it seems unlikely to me that there’s much difference between driving through a guy with your legs and jumping – driving through a guy with your legs is just a jump that ran into something."

While this statement initially sounds like it makes sense, it's still wrong. The reason leaving your feet BEFORE is punished is because it's dangerous. You are more likely to hit the head or throat. You have less ability to change your momentum if you notice something in the last split second. You are more likely to cut somebody with your skate blade.

I mean, the rest of the article I could take or leave, but this part is just plain wrong. There's a slight difference in timing, but that difference becomes rather important.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I’m not a physicist but it seems unlikely to me that there’s much difference between driving through a guy with your legs and jumping – driving through a guy with your legs is just a jump that ran into something."

While this statement initially sounds like it makes sense, it's still wrong. The reason leaving your feet BEFORE is punished is because it's dangerous. You are more likely to hit the head or throat. You have less ability to change your momentum if you notice something in the last split second. You are more likely to cut somebody with your skate blade.

I mean, the rest of the article I could take or leave, but this part is just plain wrong. There's a slight difference in timing, but that difference becomes rather important.

I think what the comment points to is that torres loads up for hits way too soon and in effect he extends upwards into hits way too early ... ie he gets airborne ... if he waits a fraction of a second so he can get closer to a player using the same upward technique of using his legs to power up into a hit, he is probably getting the opposition player square in the sternum and Don Cherry is putting him in the next rock em sock em beta tape

IPostedWhat

I'm So High Right Now
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FordTorres.jpg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Leaving your feet actually reduces the impulse of the check, as you leave yourself more susceptible to momentum change on contact.

If you leave your feet, you hit less hard, ultimately, than if you explode with your feet on the ice.

The only reason it's illegal is because of the increased likelihood of contact with the head.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think what the comment points to is that torres loads up for hits way too soon and in effect he extends upwards into hits way too early ... ie he gets airborne ... if he waits a fraction of a second so he can get closer to a player using the same upward technique of using his legs to power up into a hit, he is probably getting the opposition player square in the sternum and Don Cherry is putting him in the next rock em sock em beta tape

Leaving your feet actually reduces the impulse of the check, as you leave yourself more susceptible to momentum change on contact.

If you leave your feet, you hit less hard, ultimately, than if you explode with your feet on the ice.

The only reason it's illegal is because of the increased likelihood of contact with the head.

i took it the same way as jstew did.. i think the article was trying to say that leaving your feet (in some cases) is just a mis-timed check, just like fanning on a shot would be except the prior ends up with a headshot and a suspension (pending level of injury, if you're a star player, if shannahan rolled left or right getting out of bed, if bettman likes you, if bettman was even there, if the game was nationally broadcast, if the guy you hit was a star player, if you you were the home team, if your team has a history of being mean, if you have a history of being mean, *pause for a breath* if the guy youre hitting has a history of being mean, if one of your teammates is liked by bettman, if one of your teammates is not liked by bettman, if its the playoffs, if its the preseason, if youre a rookie, if youre a vet, if shannahan likes the way you did your hair that day)

i actually really like that snippet.. it puts it more in perspective of guys trying to keep hitting, but having such delicate rules around the timing of the hits

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think DGB needs a Shanaban chart.

4093950458_03e4645497_o.gif

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My issues with the hit has nothing to do with Torres. My problem is the league either has a double standard or they simply aren't paying attention. This crap about a player being injured meaning the player delivering the hit should be suspended for more games is garbage.

James Neal left his feet to hit Sean Couturier & he didn't get suspended for it. He got 1 game for his attempt to hit Giroux.

The BULLSHIT has to stop. If a player delivers a dirty hit he should be suspended for it period.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This crap about a player being injured meaning the player delivering the hit should be suspended for more games is garbage.

There is precedent in the real world though. If you get in a barfight and break a guy's nose, you get charged with assault. If that guy then falls, cracks his head on the bar and dies, you get charged with manslaughter.

I agree that intent should be the primary consideration when determining punishment. But when committing an illegal act, you assume some responsibility for the outcome. If that outcome is more severe, should you not pay a more severe price?

Our legal system is plenty f'ed up too, but there is logic behind some of the rules.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know if I fully agree there. If your skates are still on the ice and you are driving upwards, you are still accelerating. Once you've gone airborne, you are at your maximum possible velocity.

Keeping your skates on the ice allows you to apply a greater total force - because you can keep pushing after the initial imparct, but going airborne delivers the greatest possible instantaneous impact.

Which is more dangerous for player safety?

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if I fully agree there. If your skates are still on the ice and you are driving upwards, you are still accelerating. Once you've gone airborne, you are at your maximum possible velocity.

Keeping your skates on the ice allows you to apply a greater total force - because you can keep pushing after the initial imparct, but going airborne delivers the greatest possible instantaneous impact.

Which is more dangerous for player safety?

Well since we're getting all nerdy here, I'll put in my $0.02.

It would depend where in the trajectory of the jump that the impact happened. Too soon, or too late, and the angle of incidence, if you were, would change and less force would discharged into the player receiving the hit.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
edit: i basically agree w/ dacks.. its a momentum thing more than a force thing i think

Last edited by a moderator: