• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm convinced

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hope derrick rose is seeing the same doctors

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+1

I mean, on top of this, there was his legend-worthy recovery from his LCL injury in 2007.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"moving around as if he's even better following major knee surgery"
In the medical field, I'm pretty sure this is on par with allegations that Reggie Bush can change direction in the air.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I live near the Vikings and I understand the dap fest that goes on when people talk about him just about anywhere. I love watching him more than any other player to ever play the game in my lifetime.

There have been times this season, though, where it's been obvious that he's not his old self yet, and it makes it an incomplete story to not attempt to acknowledge some of that. To do so might take away some of the shine from the story, but to tell a complete story, some of that should have been included, in my opinion.

His initial burst and his ability to pull away and finish runs at times hasn't been what it was in the past. I would not argue that that won't come back as he gets healthier, stronger, and begins to get comfortable again. Yes, it's amazing he's at the point he's at in his recovery. Most wouldn't be. I just don't like not acknowledging those things for whatever reason.

I would like to ask him or have somebody else ask him if he feels like he's improved in any part of the game after going through what he's gone through. Many times a player will talk about what an injury did for their mental game and how they were able to sit back and study the game a little more.

I say that because one area that I think he's improved on is his blocking. My amateur eye says that he's actually not been a liability staying in to block for long stretches like he has been in the past. His second year in the NFL he was making strides and becoming more effective, but then he started to tail off I thought until this season again. The Indy game, the Detroit game, the Washington game definitely, and against Tampa Bay were all very good games for him as a blocker. He rarely had stretches like that in the past.

RobertPhD01

49er Faithful Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I live near the Vikings and I understand the dap fest that goes on when people talk about him just about anywhere. I love watching him more than any other player to ever play the game in my lifetime.

There have been times this season, though, where it's been obvious that he's not his old self yet, and it makes it an incomplete story to not attempt to acknowledge some of that. To do so might take away some of the shine from the story, but to tell a complete story, some of that should have been included, in my opinion.

His initial burst and his ability to pull away and finish runs at times hasn't been what it was in the past. I would not argue that that won't come back as he gets healthier, stronger, and begins to get comfortable again. Yes, it's amazing he's at the point he's at in his recovery. Most wouldn't be. I just don't like not acknowledging those things for whatever reason.

I would like to ask him or have somebody else ask him if he feels like he's improved in any part of the game after going through what he's gone through. Many times a player will talk about what an injury did for their mental game and how they were able to sit back and study the game a little more.

I say that because one area that I think he's improved on is his blocking. My amateur eye says that he's actually not been a liability staying in to block for long stretches like he has been in the past. His second year in the NFL he was making strides and becoming more effective, but then he started to tail off I thought until this season again. The Indy game, the Detroit game, the Washington game definitely, and against Tampa Bay were all very good games for him as a blocker. He rarely had stretches like that in the past.

Cool I hope they can take out the Lions this week! Prediction K.C. will take the W.V. QB in the draft or trade:):director:

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I l I love watching him more than any other player to ever play the game in my lifetime.

I feel the same way about Barry Sanders. I never could get enough watching that man run. He made probowl players look like pop warner players sometimes.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I feel the same way about Barry Sanders. I never could get enough watching that man run. He made probowl players look like pop warner players sometimes.

I liked watching Sanders more as a kid. Probably because when I watched him as a kid it was mostly on highlight videos where none of his 0-yard and negative yard runs showed up. I appreciate the athlete he was more now, but I don't enjoy watching the games and clips as much as I used to.

There are about 8 other backs in my knowledgeable football life that stand out above the others I've seen come into the NFL:

LaDainian Tomlinson is the oldest, though some of his antics towards the end of his career really got to me.

Willis McGahee is another. I watch him in Denver now and marvel at what he's still able to do after the injury and almost 2,000 pro carries. He's one of the more talented players I've ever seen. Just made to play football.

Steven Jackson was/is my 2nd favorite RB prospect behind Peterson. Nobody wants to know how sad I was when the Rams of all teams got him.

Ronnie Brown. I said at the time I'd have taken him number one overall in that draft. Unfortunate for him and many people around him that injuries got him the way they did.

DeAngelo Williams. Part of the fun about him was I encountered so many people that were down on him as a prospect and the conversations on him were real interesting. There weren't alot of people I knew at the time that hovered somewhere in the middle on him. It was mostly a large group of people that liked him a whole lot and then a large group who didn't think he would hold up, could not be effective carrying the load, or had to be used as a gadget player in space on the edges.

Matt Forte, LeSean McCoy, and Trent Richardson are the last three to make my all-time list. McCoy and Richardson are a skosh behind Steven Jackson for 2nd place behind Peterson.

I still don't know if it's completely logical or not, but Peterson is in his own league for my money, though.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This! I Loved watched Barry so much I even liked seeing him do well against us!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From everything I've read/seen on highlights I think this guy is the greatest athlete to ever to step on the football field. Look at that speed:

Absolutely insane to be able to run like that at his size. I wish I could've watched him play live.

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked watching Sanders more as a kid. Probably because when I watched him as a kid it was mostly on highlight videos where none of his 0-yard and negative yard runs showed up. I appreciate the athlete he was more now, but I don't enjoy watching the games and clips as much as I used to.

There are about 8 other backs in my knowledgeable football life that stand out above the others I've seen come into the NFL:

LaDainian Tomlinson is the oldest, though some of his antics towards the end of his career really got to me.

Willis McGahee is another. I watch him in Denver now and marvel at what he's still able to do after the injury and almost 2,000 pro carries. He's one of the more talented players I've ever seen. Just made to play football.

Steven Jackson was/is my 2nd favorite RB prospect behind Peterson. Nobody wants to know how sad I was when the Rams of all teams got him.

Ronnie Brown. I said at the time I'd have taken him number one overall in that draft. Unfortunate for him and many people around him that injuries got him the way they did.

DeAngelo Williams. Part of the fun about him was I encountered so many people that were down on him as a prospect and the conversations on him were real interesting. There weren't alot of people I knew at the time that hovered somewhere in the middle on him. It was mostly a large group of people that liked him a whole lot and then a large group who didn't think he would hold up, could not be effective carrying the load, or had to be used as a gadget player in space on the edges.

Matt Forte, LeSean McCoy, and Trent Richardson are the last three to make my all-time list. McCoy and Richardson are a skosh behind Steven Jackson for 2nd place behind Peterson.

I still don't know if it's completely logical or not, but Peterson is in his own league for my money, though.

Nice list. I'm with you Peterson, McGahee, Williams, and McCoy.

Anyone in college football right now that might be on that list in a few years?

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Nice list. I'm with you Peterson, McGahee, Williams, and McCoy.

Anyone in college football right now that might be on that list in a few years?

There are quite a few guys in college football right now that I like, but nobody right now that brings up the same kind of feelings that I had for those guys. I can get into some of the guys in college I like, but keep in mind I wouldn't place any of these guys with those previously mentioned players yet.

The two guys coming into this year that I wanted to see more than anybody else based on what I saw last year was Montee Ball and Stepfan Taylor. I really liked what I saw last year from those guys. Ball's offseason was concerning and I still have to go back and watch more of Taylor to get a better picture on him.

I like some of the things I've seen from Ellington, but he has obvious limitations as a running back. He's probably best suited to be a move player that lives on the edges and gets out in space. I don't like or understand why or why Clemson uses him inside so much. I don't see him ever becoming a reliable inside runner. He needs to work on becoming a better blocker, too.

I'm working on seeing more of Giovani Bernard (redshirt sophomore) because he looks intriguing. I like Eddie Lacy (redshirt junior) and he could be a possible replacement for Gore as a featured runner. I've always been a big Ray Graham fan, though he'll probably never be THE guy in an offense. I have to see more of him yet as well after the injury. One more that I should have mentioned earlier is Spencer Ware. I really like what I've seen from him. He has alot of 49er qualities in him. Mindset, attitude, style of play.

Speaking of 49ers. Going into next year, I'd like a guy in place that I feel could step in and replace Gore because I worry his time is coming and I don't want to have to worry about a significant drop off in play at that spot. It'll probably be next to impossible to replace everything right away that Gore gives you off the field, as a blocker, on 3rd downs, etc., but that's one spot I'd like to be fairly assured is taken care of for the future going into next year if possible, but might not be possible if some of these guys don't declare. (FA maybe?).

Kendall Hunter was one of my all-time favorite 49ers picks, but I wouldn't want Smith or any young QB to have to rely on Hunter for a long period of time as anything more than a complimentary piece. I'd still like to see Hunter used more in the passing game without taking Gore off the field, though maybe there are very good reasons why the coaching staff hasn't done that with him.

Based on what I've seen so far, Ball, Lacy, and Ware could be or make for the easiest transitions away from Gore, but it's early yet and I'm not comfortable saying just yet that they would be realistic or make for the smartest choices when you throw in everybody else into the discussion.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From everything I've read/seen on highlights I think this guy is the greatest athlete to ever to step on the football field. Look at that speed:

Absolutely insane to be able to run like that at his size. I wish I could've watched him play live.

The stories about Bo in a high school baseball game from his Sportscentury earned him that in my head. Two stories really (probably embellished in my head, but this is how I remember them):

1. Bo didn't like pitching, but he was the best they had so they would put him out there. In the first inning, he walked a couple guys on straight pitches to try and get pulled. The coach stood up out of the dugout and shook his head as if to say, "You're not coming out." He fanned the next 3 batters.

2. Bo hit a ball into the gap. As he rounded 1st, the third base coach turned to the outfield to see if he should stop Bo at 2nd. Determining he should stop, the coach turned back to give him the stop sign just as Bo began to slide...into 3rd.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had long since stopped caring about the Oakland (then Los Angeles) Raiders by the time he came to team. Nevertheless, I was proud to wear my authentic Raiders #34

Bo was another one of those players I loved to watch and if he were to have put up a buck-thirty on us - Just watching him run for those 130 would have eliminated any pain of the loss.

Bo - The most universally recognized two letters in the alphabet!

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

After the play, personal foul - Unsportsmanlike Conduct/Excessive Celebration - illegal use of fire arms. 15 yard penalty to be assessed on the kick off.

:dhd:

During that clip, as he was waiting for his blockers, I was thinking, "he actually seems slow," then he hit the edge and tried to break the sound barrier. I really wish I was old enough to have watched him/Barry/Jerry (and understood how special they were). Hell, at 25 I barely know Steve for anything but concussions...

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After the play, personal foul - Unsportsmanlike Conduct/Excessive Celebration - illegal use of fire arms. 15 yard penalty to be assessed on the kick off.

During that clip, as he was waiting for his blockers, I was thinking, "he actually seems slow," then he hit the edge and tried to break the sound barrier. I really wish I was old enough to have watched him/Barry/Jerry (and understood how special they were). Hell, at 25 I barely know Steve for anything but concussions...

That's a shame. Sanders was awesome. He could have rushed for 3000 yards behind Dallas' O-line in the same era.

Rice was a freak. The WR's of this era are a joke compared to Rice.

Young was okay. Montana was on a whole other level. When Young was our QB, I expected us to lose games that mattered. When Montana was our QB, I expected blowout wins in games that mattered.

Bo Jackson's Tecmo Bowl persona wasn't an exaggeration. He was that freakishly good in the real world. Fast as hell, but just as likely to truck a D-lineman as outrun a D-back.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His coming out party was against the Seahawks in the Kingdome. He ran over Bozworth like he was one of those cardboard cutouts that you see at a movie theater.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two guys coming into this year that I wanted to see more than anybody else based on what I saw last year was Montee Ball and Stepfan Taylor. I really liked what I saw last year from those guys. Ball's offseason was concerning and I still have to go back and watch more of Taylor to get a better picture on him.

Agreed on both. I really like what I've seen from both, but Ball was a bit more impressive to me last year in terms of how he hit his holes. I have both ~2 round right now.

I like some of the things I've seen from Ellington, but he has obvious limitations as a running back. He's probably best suited to be a move player that lives on the edges and gets out in space. I don't like or understand why or why Clemson uses him inside so much. I don't see him ever becoming a reliable inside runner. He needs to work on becoming a better blocker, too.

I think the only thing holding Ellington back from a consistent inside runner is his size, so I think I might disagree there. His vision, balance, and ability to explode through the hole is second to none in college football, IMO. Aside from his size, I think his biggest weakness right now is pass catching. For a smaller guy he's not as smooth as a should be coming out of the backfield.

I'm working on seeing more of Giovani Bernard (redshirt sophomore) because he looks intriguing. I like Eddie Lacy (redshirt junior) and he could be a possible replacement for Gore as a featured runner. I've always been a big Ray Graham fan, though he'll probably never be THE guy in an offense. I have to see more of him yet as well after the injury. One more that I should have mentioned earlier is Spencer Ware. I really like what I've seen from him. He has alot of 49er qualities in him. Mindset, attitude, style of play.

Absolutely love Ray Graham. Top-25 prospect, IMO.

Speaking of 49ers. Going into next year, I'd like a guy in place that I feel could step in and replace Gore because I worry his time is coming and I don't want to have to worry about a significant drop off in play at that spot. It'll probably be next to impossible to replace everything right away that Gore gives you off the field, as a blocker, on 3rd downs, etc., but that's one spot I'd like to be fairly assured is taken care of for the future going into next year if possible, but might not be possible if some of these guys don't declare. (FA maybe?).

Do you think a Hunter/LMJ combination can take Gore's place, or did you want THE guy?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ha! I thought the same thing before he turned the corner. I was like "Ehh, not impressed. Wait a minute..."

Did you see how fast he pulled away from that DB. :hdn: