• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I'm back on the Nate McMillan bandwagon...

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After year one, I had questioned if he would be able to adapt as a coach in the modern NBA. But, after the removal of three significant egos that may have thought they were more important than the coach (George, Ellis, and Teague), McMillan has proven me wrong and is looking like the veteran savvy guy on the sidelines we thought we were getting when we let Vogel go, and a guy that's been to the NBA finals in the more-hardcore NBA.

Not many are going to remember that early in his career when LeBron James wanted McMillan to coach the Cavs after Paul Silas got fired. I'm not going to sit here and say the LeBron is going to sign with the Pacers or that it's even a remote possibility, but what I will say is that Pritchard would be foolish not to at least try and be in contact with LeBron's representatives.

One way or another, if the Pacers are going to make a splash this offseason, it almost certainly will be through trade. There isn't any other free agent in this year's class that's going to make a substantial difference to our team (Julius Randle, maybe). Therefore, it isn't as if the Pacers would be running the risk of letting other FA's get away to satisfy any false hopes of signing LeBron.

And before I hear the feeble bullshit argument to no FA want to come to Indiana, I suggest you do your homework. The same was said about Denver, and a year later they landed a four-time all-star in Paul Millsap. It's not that we haven't been able to attract FA's; We just haven't been able to attract the right ones. Monta Ellis, Thaddeus Young, and Al Jefferson come to mind as guys that haven't exactly panned out - Bird's bargain basement additions. While Young has been alright, he's just a glue guy and not the true difference-maker the Pacers are looking for.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Millsap wasn't a top tier free agent.

Let me know when either team actually gets a max free agent that the other top teams also offer max deals to.

Better yet, let me know when either team even gets a meeting with a top tier FA.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not many are going to remember that early in his career when LeBron James wanted McMillan to coach the Cavs after Paul Silas got fired. I'm not going to sit here and say the LeBron is going to sign with the Pacers or that it's even a remote possibility, but what I will say is that Pritchard would be foolish not to at least try and be in contact with LeBron's representatives.

The Pacers would be foolish to not attempt to at least get a meeting with Lebron. Lebron typically has the list of teams that want a meeting and then from that he picks the teams that will get a meeting.

If he truly likes McMillan, that, along with the headache they gave him in the first round, could get him to move the Pacers to the list of teams that get a meeting. I doubt he'd sign with them, but to even have a chance, you have to get a meeting.

One way or another, if the Pacers are going to make a splash this offseason, it almost certainly will be through trade. There isn't any other free agent in this year's class that's going to make a substantial difference to our team (Julius Randle, maybe). Therefore, it isn't as if the Pacers would be running the risk of letting other FA's get away to satisfy any false hopes of signing LeBron.

Not sure what their cap situation is. It's a fairly small FA class (as far as significant players). They may be better served hanging on to cap space for next off-season. Although I do think Julius Randle would be a great fit and you guys would love him.

And before I hear the feeble bullshit argument to no FA want to come to Indiana, I suggest you do your homework. The same was said about Denver, and a year later they landed a four-time all-star in Paul Millsap. It's not that we haven't been able to attract FA's; We just haven't been able to attract the right ones. Monta Ellis, Thaddeus Young, and Al Jefferson come to mind as guys that haven't exactly panned out - Bird's bargain basement additions. While Young has been alright, he's just a glue guy and not the true difference-maker the Pacers are looking for.

There are FA's and then there are FA's. It's not that Indy can't attract FA's, it's that they can't, at least so far, add max level FA's. Millsap. Ellis, Young, etc. are nice pieces, but not max level guys.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoy making the playoffs, but never getting out of the first round. Welcome to NBA purgatory.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoy making the playoffs, but never getting out of the first round. Welcome to NBA purgatory.

I think they showed in this years first round that they may very well be capable of getting out of the first round.

However, they probably can't get past the 2nd round unless they can add a max level player, especially with what the Sixers and Celtics have going on.

So, still NBA purgatory, but a higher level.