• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If it’s my choice

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida State has a lance on it, the Chiefs have an arrowhead etc. etc. Those things aren't derogatory.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florida State has a lance on it, the Chiefs have an arrowhead etc. etc. Those things aren't derogatory.

Neither is a ceremonial headdress worn by actual Indians…they are simply bad ass.

Some people can make everything worse than it seems.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed but we are under a huge microscope now. Anything that resembles Native American we are going to get blasted. Its not fair that Florida State can have the Spear but we cant. Of course its bullshit. Im just saying no one can get on us for the "W" and no one get get on us for the nickname Warriors. They redesigned the W last year. Should of just put it on the helmets.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am a
sooner or later we have to get past being "offended " a lance is a weapon and should be treated as such . there is no feather on it , its just a lance so you cant say its a religious symbol . but as i have said i am not going to be upset with a "W" either . . what i am upset with is the idea i have to suck every alleged offended party's dick to put a decal on a football team helmet

i am against the name change in the first place but i am at least giving other options a try . if i can come of my "entrenched " stance , then the other side can come off theirs

and sorry but native Americans do not have exclusive rights to the lance . i would like the lance and the warrior name . i think its a fair compromise

I am a University of Utah Utes fan and I depend (sports relativity wise) on you keeping the lance because that maybe postpones the inevitable removal of the feather on the Utes symbol.

Before Europeans came to America, tribes took over tribes, in war-like, humane, and non-humane ways. In Europe, European people took over Europeans in war-like, humane, and non-humane ways. Doesn’t excuse everything Europeans did to take over Native land or people, but people act like nothing has ever been done to anybody before that. When the Europeans were wrong, they were wrong, no moral relativism. But the “this is the first time idea” is wrong. Not that I am offended by it. Wrongs are wrong and they can and should feel
wronged by it.

Things can be righted however they choose, with opposition no matter what. But I feel that use of a name or appropriating symbols is the least of the offenses. Even less so if used as a tribute. But I understand the upset of profiting off such appropriation, understand the idea of perpetuated racism if present, or stereotyping.

I have heard the idea that erasing all references due to that is erasing them, but I don‘t look at it as Washington doing Natives a favor. As far as Redskins, I won‘t defend it nor blast anyone for it. I knew it as a name of a football team, others know it as something else. But yes, I do hate the thought that the Caucasians T-shirt logo is supposed to upset white people. That to me is like having a woman make a pass on a pervert and ask them how they like it.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there would be a problem with the name Warriors. Sure someone will complain but it is not a derogatory name. Lances, tomahawks, bow and arrow's, feathers, headdress were all used by IPs and I think still used in some ceremonial events. I don't think that is an issue either.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think there would be a problem with the name Warriors. Sure someone will complain but it is not a derogatory name. Lances, tomahawks, bow and arrow's, feathers, headdress were all used by IPs and I think still used in some ceremonial events. I don't think that is an issue either.

The team already said that they are not using anything close to native American images. So Tomahawks feathers, bow and arrows are out. Its going to have to be plain and simple and I think the gold "W" is the best way to go on a maroon helmet. Maybe we can get the pin stripes back on. The name should be Warriors.

Rowdy

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,828.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team already said that they are not using anything close to native American images. So Tomahawks feathers, bow and arrows are out. Its going to have to be plain and simple and I think the gold "W" is the best way to go on a maroon helmet. Maybe we can get the pin stripes back on. The name should be Warriors.
The problem is the trademarks aren’t available for any of the names being kicked around. He can’t even get one for the current name

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is the trademarks aren’t available for any of the names being kicked around. He can’t even get one for the current name

Yep. The guy who claimed them sold merchandise for however long he had the trademarks. If he had just trademarked them and done nothing, Washington would have an easier recourse. I feel he should either give it up or name a price but he kept saying he wanted to give it to them for free and implied that he was helping them by not letting other opportunists to take the names and charge.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh I see. Well in that case there could be a problem. There is a tm for Redwolves?

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. The guy who claimed them sold merchandise for however long he had the trademarks. If he had just trademarked them and done nothing, Washington would have an easier recourse. I feel he should either give it up or name a price but he kept saying he wanted to give it to them for free and implied that he was helping them by not letting other opportunists to take the names and charge.

If that is the case then there should be no problems.

Skin'EmAll

Celebrity Troublemaker
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hearing conflicting stories about the trademark owner of "warriors"
wonder if it's about money, or him securing a "mr wonderful" shark tank type deal to set himself up for life

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If that is the case then there should be no problems.

I don’t think he would give it for free with no strings attached or benefits. But he acted like he did and I’m sure he will now say, too late. His claim of benevolence could also just be defensive over those calling him an opportunist. Or I could see Snyder not wanting to engage conversations with him until decided, but doesn’t want to be painted into bad leverage because they’ve made up their minds/plans.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Dan has already made up his mind he likes the current name. Of course he isn't making the day to day decisions anymore but rumor has he is sleeping with the CEO.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
s-l400.jpg
Washington Whiteheads