• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Iceman Cometh!!!!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Speed in the backfield and their dominate WR is the real advantages I see... Along with Suh in the trenches....

Got to hope Smith doesn't break character or 2011 form and stays within himself and the coaches....

Who knows, maybe Alex will be our X factor?

Here are the advantages as I see them:

Their pass offense vs. our pass defense
Their QB protection vs. our QB protection
Their pass defense vs. our pass offense
Ford Field

Our advantage is both our run offense and defense and ST's. I just don't think those advantages are enough to shift the balance of power. I think we'll need to play at an elevated level for 60 minutes, I think Harbaugh will need his best game plan to date and a little luck wouldn't hurt either. At least that is how I'm seeing it to this point.

Thoughts?

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ford Field

Our advantage is both our run offense and defense and ST's. I just don't think those advantages are enough to shift the balance of power. I think we'll need to play at an elevated level for 60 minutes, I think Harbaugh will need his best game plan to date and a little luck wouldn't hurt either. At least that is how I'm seeing it to this point.

Thoughts?

Our Pass defense, in the secondary needs to step up. They got some momentum as of late but covering Megatron and (sleepers) the 2 TEs will be a big job. A challenge similar(in terms of Recievers) vs Dallas. This is where our Pass Rush must show up and take down Stafford before he finds a hole. If not, we'll be sitting ducks. But hey Dallas, Minnesota, TB(do a degree) had series of stops of their own(Qtrs even). So it's not out of the realm of possibility. Bears did too, but the speed vs their age and positioning killed them in the end IMO.

Protection could almost be a washed except Suh might wreak much more havoc through Synder(if starts). I hope we have a counter to this or more screens ready to deploy.

Their pass defense is dependent on their front 4, if we can hold them a for awhile, Smith s/b able to find his Recievers without forcing one. This is also up to Alex to perhaps tuck and run(hell, maybe his check offs too).

There's ways to beat detroit and lose to detroit. I kind of went all over but I do generally agree with what you said, maybe because I'm giving the Lions more credit and holding as much enthusiasm for our own boys as possible.

We get to Stafford we won't lose the game.... Megatron and the TEs are key for them against us.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3

Ford Field

Thoughts?

I agree, Detroit has the advantage in the areas you listed above.

Our defense has to limit Detroit’s big plays. Against Chicago, 3 plays directly led to 17 of Detroit’s points. The deep bomb to Johnson for a TD, Best’s 88 yard run for TD, and Best’s 40 plus yard run that put them in field goal range.

Our D must force Detroit to put drives together. I don’t think Stafford is perfect, the more plays that we make them run in order to score the greater chance that he will overthrow a ball or the ball gets tipped for a pick.

The offense has to establish the running game. Detroit seems susceptible to edge running plays. Putting your head down and pounding it into the wall of Suh and Fairley is not the answer. It was evident in the Dallas Detroit game that the Cowboys couldn’t run the ball up the gut. They were up 20 points but were still throwing the ball. The Niners can run the ball. It is time for the running game to set up the passing game. If we can use the running game to put us in 2nd and 6 and 3rd and 4 then the Niners will win the game. If it is 3rd and 17 I just hope Alex Smith comes through this game healthy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
as long as we don't "give it away"? if a better teams beats the 49ers, no argument here. just don't want the 49ers making "tons" of many mistakes, playing sloppy.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I agree, Detroit has the advantage in the areas you listed above.

Our defense has to limit Detroit’s big plays. Against Chicago, 3 plays directly led to 17 of Detroit’s points. The deep bomb to Johnson for a TD, Best’s 88 yard run for TD, and Best’s 40 plus yard run that put them in field goal range.

Our D must force Detroit to put drives together. I don’t think Stafford is perfect, the more plays that we make them run in order to score the greater chance that he will overthrow a ball or the ball gets tipped for a pick.

The offense has to establish the running game. Detroit seems susceptible to edge running plays. Putting your head down and pounding it into the wall of Suh and Fairley is not the answer. It was evident in the Dallas Detroit game that the Cowboys couldn’t run the ball up the gut. They were up 20 points but were still throwing the ball. The Niners can run the ball. It is time for the running game to set up the passing game. If we can use the running game to put us in 2nd and 6 and 3rd and 4 then the Niners will win the game. If it is 3rd and 17 I just hope Alex Smith comes through this game healthy.

Excellent, well thought out response, Mann, a lot of good points. With reagard to down & distance, the one that worries me the most is 1st & 15.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
as long as we don't "give it away"? if a better teams beats the 49ers, no argument here. just don't want the 49ers making "tons" of many mistakes, playing sloppy.

Exactly, Deep! If we play our best a lose - no shame.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
We have to spread them out on offense and get hunter going on the outside runs. We have to take advantage of Davis and Walker. They LBers can't cover them. We also need to see more of the slant. Crabs, Ginn, and Williams I think would all do well running a quick slant and getting YAC. Alex needs to get rid of the ball and hit them on those slants to stop their d-line. Their back 7 is very beatable. We have to sustain drives to keep detroits offense off the field.

Defensively, I think we can stop Best, but we also need to get pressure on stafford with out having to send extra guys. Stafford has a tendancy to over throw Calvin. We need to try and have a safety over top to pick those passes.

I am worried about this game. We can win it, but we need to keep up the turnover battle to do it. And we need to convert our 3rd downs. Hope for an injury free game.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Calvin Johnson is clearly the concern, but aren't they using Pettigrew more? we need to put a safety on him for 'obvious' passing downs?

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Yes they are using him more this year, mostly because he is actually catching the ball. But I haven't seen him have a game that makes me concerned about him. It is always possible, but I worry more about best out of the backfield and on screens.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Calvin Johnson is clearly the concern, but aren't they using Pettigrew more? we need to put a safety on him for 'obvious' passing downs?

Pettigrew and Schefter are flying under the radar with CJ owning the spotlight....