• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

i think we might actually be pleasantly surprised

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i have refrained from posted one of those capgeek rosters on here just because its overkill and we really have no idea whats going to happen..BUT..i actually think holmgren's not as crazy as he seems when he says that we dont have to have a firesale to fit bryz and resign leino all while remaining pretty much in tact.. so hear me out.. ive been messing with capgeek pretty much every day just to hold out hope that somehow this puzzle can work..and i think it might actually be able to..

so heres my roster and then i'll explain how i created it..

FORWARDS
Andreas Nodl ($0.935m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Ville Leino ($3.000m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Eric Wellwood ($0.580m)
Daniel Carcillo ($1.075m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Darroll Powe ($0.797m)
Tom Sestito ($0.577m)

DEFENSEMEN
Chris Pronger ($4.921m) / Cody Franson ($0.800m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Braydon Coburn ($3.200m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Andrew Alberts ($1.175m)
Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m) / Ilya Bryzgalov ($6.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,571,155; BONUSES: $1,700,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $428,845

first... i eliminated versteeg with the assumption that he's extremely expendable and will probably be traded for a pick..most likely to florida.
second.. i put leino at 3 mil which might be wishful thinking..but i think it might work for him.
third.. i put bryz at 6 mil.. i dont buy any of this 7 mil a year crap.. thats what HE wants and thats what he WONT get. hes going to get around 6 mil. its going to be a compromise.
fourth.. i resigned everyone of our RFAs at their qualifying offers..(10% raises). i just kept carcillos the same because i think homer wants to keep him and i also think his salary is able to remain the same.
lastly.. i traded carle to nashville for a young entry level Dman..franson. not saying this would happen, just giving a scenario of trading carle for a much cheaper, entry level priced decent defenseman, which isnt unrealistic. also i put andrew alberts in, not cause im saying i want him, but i think we could sign a defenseman for someone in his price range, and i just put him there because hes an UFA.
called up wellwood, sestito and gusty finally.
with all that we still have almost 5K in cap space, which could allow for bryz and leinos contracts to even be 6.25 and 3.25 per.
not saying all these are the moves i want, but if we do the similar math with other players in return for guys like carle and what not, i think we could actually field a half decent team if the right moves are made.
i'd have absolutely no objections to the above roster and i think it would be a damn competitive team, assuming pronger and timonen are healthy.

sorry for the long post. i've refrained from any of this capgeek stuff for a while so just figured i'd throw in my 2 cents.

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
oh i forgot to mention the obvious things...lappy to LTIR, shelly and leighton waived.

SantaMonicaFlyer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Great work - thanks for doing that :)

The thing that scares me in this scenario is that we would be so thin @ F, relying on Wellwood and Nodl on scoring lines. Plus, the refs have it in for Carcillo, so come playoff time he is an automatic 2 PP for the other team per game it seems like, regardless of whether or not the calls are actually warranted. Then when Carter gets hurt again and misses the whole playoffs we're screwed.

Plus, what impact does this have on our ability to get JVR and Giroux signed long-term?

IMHO, the best scenario - regardless of the $ for Bryz - is to trade Carter for something along the lines of the CBJ deal that's been rumored, adding a high pick AND a good young [read: cheap] player or 2, and then take the money saved from Carrter to buy some more depth @ F - another $2.5-3M F that could play on the 2nd or 3rd line. We'd have more depth, added youth, and added some picks. And we could get rid of Carcillo, too!

Plus, losing Carter is like addition by subtraction :) [I don't like Carter, can you tell?]

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
agreed about dumping carter. my dislike for him is no secret around here. plus, i actually think the flyers play better without him.
but as for your JVR and giroux questions..we don't have to worry about giroux for 3 more years..and by then we will sign him long term..guys like timonen, hartnell, etc will be off the books and the cap will be up, he should be no problem to lock up.
as for JVR, i'd assume that if the cap has another increase next year that should be enough to lock him up. i could see him getting a deal similar to what giroux just signed (3-4 years at 3-4mil per) then when that runs out sign him to the long-term, 7-8 year deal.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
agreed about dumping carter. my dislike for him is no secret around here. plus, i actually think the flyers play better without him.
but as for your JVR and giroux questions..we don't have to worry about giroux for 3 more years..and by then we will sign him long term..guys like timonen, hartnell, etc will be off the books and the cap will be up, he should be no problem to lock up.
as for JVR, i'd assume that if the cap has another increase next year that should be enough to lock him up. i could see him getting a deal similar to what giroux just signed (3-4 years at 3-4mil per) then when that runs out sign him to the long-term, 7-8 year deal.

if jvr improves, in other words, plays like he did in the playoffs, for the whole season next year i agree with that. however, he has not played well enough to command 3-4 mil as an RFA yet.. next year is going to be just as interesting as this year assuming something big doesn't happen.. carle, coburn, and JvR all have expiring contracts.. i see no way around getting rid of carle or coburn, and because i think coburn was at least twice, if not three times, as good as carle this year, i think carle has to go.. and not in the offseason next year when we get nothing for him.. this offseason or at the deadline, and we wont be sellers at the deadline, so i have very little doubt that he'll be gone come saturday

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if jvr improves, in other words, plays like he did in the playoffs, for the whole season next year i agree with that. however, he has not played well enough to command 3-4 mil as an RFA yet..

JVR is a beast who hopefully has woken up. The thing that a lot of people don't realize is that a handful fo GM's have a hard-on for this kid, including Brian Burke. I've met JVR a handful of times and the good news is he does not seem like a money hungry guy, which I'm hoping translates into taking a pay cut to win some cups.

I do believe that if he hits the point where he can recieve offer sheets that some of them may be ridiculous. Which actually makes me wonder if a player is offered a sheet from a team he doesn't want to go to but it is the highest offer is he obligated to go there?

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i was lost when i saw nodl on the top line, another sell versteeg scenario too, lol

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i was lost when i saw nodl on the top line, another sell versteeg scenario too, lol

well when making the lines i was just trying to get the most balance. while i love a top line of JVR-giroux-carter, i put JVR on a line with richie and nodl on a line with giroux and carter just to try and spread out the scoring a bit more. i feel a line of nodl-richards-insert grinder here is just wasting richie's talent and putting far too much emphasis on his defensive roles. i like richie in a checking line center role, but i feel he is at his best when he is playing with defensive minded offensive forwards..guys like gagne, giroux, come to mind. i was a big fan of that gagne-richie-giroux line they'd role every now and then. wouldnt mind seeing G on a line with richie and putting carter between JVR and a grinder type either. altho i do like the chemistry G and carter developed.
we'll see. the lineup was more for roster purposes anyway.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i hear that let me take a shot....

JVR Giroux Versteeg
Hartnell Brierre Leino
Nodl Richards Gagne????
Janssen/Carcillo Betts Powe

i'm just playing with numbers in my head, the thought of signing leino and also being able to get gagne to come back, though i don't know if he'll get more than 3 mil with injury history we shall see. i also scooped up janssen from st lou, just cause he can fight, i am cutting shelley instantly because he is over the hill and because he is sportfans favorite player on the team. carcillo is expendable

pronger/carle
kimmo/coburn
meszarov/vandermeer

bryz/boucher

my scenario is the carter trade and the bob trade which is a necessity if they sign bryz, i'm a dreamer what can i say

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i hear that let me take a shot....

JVR Giroux Versteeg
Hartnell Brierre Leino
Nodl Richards Gagne????
Janssen/Carcillo Betts Powe

i'm just playing with numbers in my head, the thought of signing leino and also being able to get gagne to come back, though i don't know if he'll get more than 3 mil with injury history we shall see. i also scooped up janssen from st lou, just cause he can fight, i am cutting shelley instantly because he is over the hill and because he is sportfans favorite player on the team. carcillo is expendable

pronger/carle
kimmo/coburn
meszarov/vandermeer

bryz/boucher

my scenario is the carter trade and the bob trade which is a necessity if they sign bryz, i'm a dreamer what can i say

now thats a lineup i'd gladly roll out in april. just have to account for the guys the carter trade might bring.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ha well, lets put in a potential return in the nodl slot and call it even

sportfan09

WHAT THE FUCK
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
no gags he will come here and break a leg it always happens to us...so thats a no no

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
ha im surprised u missed my lil jab at you sportfan haha

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rumour, Versteeg to Florida makes sense. Tallon would like his old players, he already has traded for Skille to. They also need to fill 26 million in salary just to hit the floor of the cap

PhillyFate48

Pimp by blood
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i have refrained from posted one of those capgeek rosters on here just because its overkill and we really have no idea whats going to happen..BUT..i actually think holmgren's not as crazy as he seems when he says that we dont have to have a firesale to fit bryz and resign leino all while remaining pretty much in tact.. so hear me out.. ive been messing with capgeek pretty much every day just to hold out hope that somehow this puzzle can work..and i think it might actually be able to..

so heres my roster and then i'll explain how i created it..

FORWARDS
Andreas Nodl ($0.935m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Ville Leino ($3.000m)
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Eric Wellwood ($0.580m)
Daniel Carcillo ($1.075m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Darroll Powe ($0.797m)
Tom Sestito ($0.577m)

DEFENSEMEN
Chris Pronger ($4.921m) / Cody Franson ($0.800m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Braydon Coburn ($3.200m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Andrew Alberts ($1.175m)
Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m) / Ilya Bryzgalov ($6.000m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,571,155; BONUSES: $1,700,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $428,845

first... i eliminated versteeg with the assumption that he's extremely expendable and will probably be traded for a pick..most likely to florida.
second.. i put leino at 3 mil which might be wishful thinking..but i think it might work for him.
third.. i put bryz at 6 mil.. i dont buy any of this 7 mil a year crap.. thats what HE wants and thats what he WONT get. hes going to get around 6 mil. its going to be a compromise.
fourth.. i resigned everyone of our RFAs at their qualifying offers..(10% raises). i just kept carcillos the same because i think homer wants to keep him and i also think his salary is able to remain the same.
lastly.. i traded carle to nashville for a young entry level Dman..franson. not saying this would happen, just giving a scenario of trading carle for a much cheaper, entry level priced decent defenseman, which isnt unrealistic. also i put andrew alberts in, not cause im saying i want him, but i think we could sign a defenseman for someone in his price range, and i just put him there because hes an UFA.
called up wellwood, sestito and gusty finally.
with all that we still have almost 5K in cap space, which could allow for bryz and leinos contracts to even be 6.25 and 3.25 per.
not saying all these are the moves i want, but if we do the similar math with other players in return for guys like carle and what not, i think we could actually field a half decent team if the right moves are made.
i'd have absolutely no objections to the above roster and i think it would be a damn competitive team, assuming pronger and timonen are healthy.

sorry for the long post. i've refrained from any of this capgeek stuff for a while so just figured i'd throw in my 2 cents.

TOO BAD CARTER IS GONE SON!:gossip: