• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

i think this is our guy

Rathman44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ultimate Stephen Hill Highlights - YouTube

perfect compliment to crab and will get to learn from one of the best in moss. In fact, he kind of looks like Moss out there with his fast long strides. Would be exciting to see him develop and get consistent throws his way (which he didn't in Georgia Tech's run heavy O)

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ya great compliment, neither can catch a pass

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
He's a slightly less raw and slightly more athletic / tall DHB IMO. He'll probably take a while to develop, but he could be a really good #1 WR when he does.

That said I think he'll be gone by 30.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
what does he need to develop most? IF its catching the ball (don't know), then i'd be VERY wary?

good coaching can help things like route running, reading defenses, and getting off the line, but it can't help catching the ball, at least not much. don't think it can help 'ball awareness' either?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Watching that video, he seems to catch most passes really close to his body. Definitely had some nice highlight reel catches, though.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching that video, he seems to catch most passes really close to his body. Definitely had some nice highlight reel catches, though.

yea, i saw maybe three passes that were not body trapping, or basket catches...

bigninerfan56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll pass, not that I hate him as a prospect, I just like other prospects more.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what does he need to develop most? IF its catching the ball (don't know), then i'd be VERY wary?

good coaching can help things like route running, reading defenses, and getting off the line, but it can't help catching the ball, at least not much. don't think it can help 'ball awareness' either?

In the way that he catches the ball it reminds me of TO. Just something about the way it hits their hands.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me, I would rather be a QB and have to work on tight spirals, throwing into tight windows, reading defenses, or touch passes than a receiver working on how to catch. I would not be good at reactionary things like catching hard passes and once I worked on it, I'd psych myself out and choke. These things take milliseconds and position matters to inches. A QB has to react to defenses and ball placement is difficult, but those things are areas where I think I could get better and better at if I were an athlete. All positions are susceptible to freezing, but catching the ball from any which way has always looked really difficult.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
To me, I would rather be a QB and have to work on tight spirals, throwing into tight windows, reading defenses, or touch passes than a receiver working on how to catch. I would not be good at reactionary things like catching hard passes and once I worked on it, I'd psych myself out and choke. These things take milliseconds and position matters to inches. A QB has to react to defenses and ball placement is difficult, but those things are areas where I think I could get better and better at if I were an athlete. All positions are susceptible to freezing, but catching the ball from any which way has always looked really difficult.

i agree, as fans we take it for granted sometimes, but not all receivers can catch it cleanly. some have to 'hesitate' ever so slightly, 'look it in' more than others. this slows them down and is why 'game speed' doesn't match the 40. yeah, this is a very small time frame so it depends on the individual?

a few to catch it smoothly ala jerry rice, without breaking stride.

not judging this prospect mind you, really just asking?

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he is there at 30 I would take him. You can't coach size and speed. A 6'4 WR with that kind of speed offers to much potential to pass up on that late in the 1st round. You can coach a guy how to catch, run routes, and block.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He would be worth taking a risk on late in the 2nd or 3rd round, but I think it's a big risk. For a guy who really hasn't done much he sure is moving up in the rankings. If he didn't have a good combine i would be a lot more excited about the possibility of drafting him in the later rounds.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he is there at 30 I would take him. You can't coach size and speed. A 6'4 WR with that kind of speed offers to much potential to pass up on that late in the 1st round. You can coach a guy how to catch, run routes, and block.

again, don't know about this prospect specifically so just commenting in general.............i'd rather take a guy who catches 'naturally', even if a little shorter, and a little slower. i'll take the 6'-2" and 4.55 guy if he's a more natural receiver. ie he has good hands and doesn't need to break stride.

there are other factors of course, but IMO catching comes before height and speed. pure measurables are good but if all other things are equal.

can you coach a player to catch well? i'm sure repetition helps (jugs machine), but what can you tell him that'll make his hands 'supple'?

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His problem is he mainly run blocked because he was in an option offense. There is just not enough tape of this guy running routes and catching the ball. He looks good catching the ball, it would be his route running I would think would be his biggest weakness.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again, don't know about this prospect specifically so just commenting in general.............i'd rather take a guy who catches 'naturally', even if a little shorter, and a little slower. i'll take the 6'-2" and 4.55 guy if he's a more natural receiver. ie he has good hands and doesn't need to break stride.

there are other factors of course, but IMO catching comes before height and speed. pure measurables are good but if all other things are equal.

can you coach a player to catch well? i'm sure repetition helps (jugs machine), but what can you tell him that'll make his hands 'supple'?

You can teach technique and strategy, but the concentration part of receiving is up to the individual and that can be a career ender.

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
i agree, as fans we take it for granted sometimes, but not all receivers can catch it cleanly. some have to 'hesitate' ever so slightly, 'look it in' more than others. this slows them down and is why 'game speed' doesn't match the 40. yeah, this is a very small time frame so it depends on the individual?

a few to catch it smoothly ala jerry rice, without breaking stride.

not judging this prospect mind you, really just asking?

A knock on VD is that he is always jumping up when catching the ball, even if he doesn't need to. It seems to help with his timing. I don't know if it's something he's been doing for years, or if it can be 'un-taught', but seeing the results, I'm inclined to allow him the occasional hop as he brings in a pass.