• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Found This Article Interesting

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what did Jay Gruden have to say about McCoy’s performance after looking at the film?

“Well, he was put in some tough situations,” said Gruden during his Monday news conference. “We continue to punish ourselves with holding calls, false starts, mis-targeting a run, poor technique from time to time and we leave ourselves in third down and too long, and we are not very good on third down obviously. And then in the second half when it became a one-dimensional game, we’re not good enough to overcome those right now at this time. So, unfortunate, it wasn’t all on Colt. Obviously he had some issues with protection. Our backs missed a few, our line missed one or two and it was a tough day for the quarterback.”

Read through that again and see if you can find anything that actually places any responsibility on McCoy for his performance. Maybe the part about “poor technique from time to time”. Perhaps when he said “we are not very good on third down” he put some of the fault on the quarterback. But overall, McCoy got kid gloves treatment by the coach here.

Let’s go back a few weeks to the day after the Redskins’ 27-7 loss to the Bucs in Week 11. Robert Griffin III was not effective in that game with a stat line very similar to the one that McCoy put up against the Rams. Griffin completed 23 of 32 for 207 yards with two interceptions and one touchdown pass.

Here is what Gruden had to say about Griffin’s performance during that game during his day-after press conference:

“Just from Robert’s perspective – you take everybody else out of the picture – Robert had some fundamental flaws,” said Gruden. “He did. His footwork was below average. He took three-step drops when he should have taken five. He took a one-step drop when he should have taken three on a couple of occasions. That can’t happen. He stepped up when he didn’t have to step up, stepped into pressure, he read the wrong side of the field a couple of times. So, from his basic performance just critiquing Robert, it was not even close to being good enough to what we expect from that quarterback position.”

To sum it up, McCoy has a bad game and it’s because “he was put in some tough situations”. Griffin stinks up FedEx Field and he “had some fundamental flaws.” You be the judge.

Also in the interest of fairness I need to pass along this quote from McCoy speaking in the locker room on Monday.

“We’re obviously very disappointed,” he told a group of reporters. “We just have to go back to work and figure out the things we can do better, things we can improve. We need get our run game going. Our protection failed a lot yesterday. And I certainly have to play better, too.”

The emphasis is added.

I think you can imagine that there would be quite an uproar if No. 10 had said the same thing, even with the immediate addition that he needed to play better, too.

http://realredskins.com/2014/12/09/mccoy-our-protection-failed-a-lot/

I'm not defending Griff, I'm done there. I'm just posting this to point out how unfair the treatment of the 2 QBs is. How did Colt not throw his OL under the bus? Where's the uproar?

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what did Jay Gruden have to say about McCoy’s performance after looking at the film?

“Well, he was put in some tough situations,” said Gruden during his Monday news conference. “We continue to punish ourselves with holding calls, false starts, mis-targeting a run, poor technique from time to time and we leave ourselves in third down and too long, and we are not very good on third down obviously. And then in the second half when it became a one-dimensional game, we’re not good enough to overcome those right now at this time. So, unfortunate, it wasn’t all on Colt. Obviously he had some issues with protection. Our backs missed a few, our line missed one or two and it was a tough day for the quarterback.”

Read through that again and see if you can find anything that actually places any responsibility on McCoy for his performance. Maybe the part about “poor technique from time to time”. Perhaps when he said “we are not very good on third down” he put some of the fault on the quarterback. But overall, McCoy got kid gloves treatment by the coach here.

Let’s go back a few weeks to the day after the Redskins’ 27-7 loss to the Bucs in Week 11. Robert Griffin III was not effective in that game with a stat line very similar to the one that McCoy put up against the Rams. Griffin completed 23 of 32 for 207 yards with two interceptions and one touchdown pass.

Here is what Gruden had to say about Griffin’s performance during that game during his day-after press conference:

“Just from Robert’s perspective – you take everybody else out of the picture – Robert had some fundamental flaws,” said Gruden. “He did. His footwork was below average. He took three-step drops when he should have taken five. He took a one-step drop when he should have taken three on a couple of occasions. That can’t happen. He stepped up when he didn’t have to step up, stepped into pressure, he read the wrong side of the field a couple of times. So, from his basic performance just critiquing Robert, it was not even close to being good enough to what we expect from that quarterback position.”

To sum it up, McCoy has a bad game and it’s because “he was put in some tough situations”. Griffin stinks up FedEx Field and he “had some fundamental flaws.” You be the judge.

Also in the interest of fairness I need to pass along this quote from McCoy speaking in the locker room on Monday.

“We’re obviously very disappointed,” he told a group of reporters. “We just have to go back to work and figure out the things we can do better, things we can improve. We need get our run game going. Our protection failed a lot yesterday. And I certainly have to play better, too.”

The emphasis is added.

I think you can imagine that there would be quite an uproar if No. 10 had said the same thing, even with the immediate addition that he needed to play better, too.

McCoy: ?Our protection failed a lot? | Rich Tandler's Real Redskins

I'm not defending Griff, I'm done there. I'm just posting this to point out how unfair the treatment of the 2 QBs is. How did Colt not throw his OL under the bus? Where's the uproar?

Yeah, I saw the same article and couldn't help but wonder how the media would have jumped on RG3 for that same statement. But at the end of the day, Colt isn't RG3. The expectations for Robert were so high, some by his own doing, that the fall was much harder. No one really had any expectations for Colt so no one gives a crap if he says such things. It may not be fair, but thats just the way it is.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you look at Rg3 's game right now he cant function as an nfl qb . . he deserved to be benched

that being said if you are going to crucify RG3 for similar comments then colt needs to be taken to task as well

draft status , how much we paid for him , Blah blah blah doesnt matter , the press is supposed tp report things fairly and they didnt
period

the coach should have said more as well

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you look at Rg3 's game right now he cant function as an nfl qb . . he deserved to be benched

that being said if you are going to crucify RG3 for similar comments then colt needs to be taken to task as well

draft status , how much we paid for him , Blah blah blah doesnt matter , the press is supposed tp report things fairly and they didnt
period

the coach should have said more as well

He may not be functioning as an NFL QB right now, but he is no worse than Colt. He should be playing. As much as I bash him, we will still be going into next season wondering about him. I still say play him the rest of the games. Lets either remove all doubt or see if he can right himself over the next 3 games and show some improvement.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may not be functioning as an NFL QB right now, but he is no worse than Colt. He should be playing. As much as I bash him, we will still be going into next season wondering about him. I still say play him the rest of the games. Lets either remove all doubt or see if he can right himself over the next 3 games and show some improvement.

you can play him but i dont envision anything he can do on the field now that would say to you "he is the GUY"

i think you will see more of the same

i say KC should be in there

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you can play him but i dont envision anything he can do on the field now that would say to you "he is the GUY"

i think you will see more of the same

i say KC should be in there

You're probably right, but maybe this latest benching will focus him a bit more. But if it doesn't and his play doesn't say "he is the guy", then maybe that confirms what many are thinking....."he isn't the guy".

I see no way that Gruden can leap frog RG3 and start Cousins. It would be one thing if Cousins had been active these last few weeks and RG3 was inactive, but that's not the case.

Cousins will be in a pretty good position going into next year. He will be in an open competition which I think he has a good chance of winning.

skinz2winz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playing behind our current offensive line will make it seem like none of them are the "guy".

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams for the most part rushed 4 guys against McCoy. The short time Griffin was in the game Williams sent the house. I'll let you figure out what that means.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams for the most part rushed 4 guys against McCoy. The short time Griffin was in the game Williams sent the house. I'll let you figure out what that means.

That he was more worried about McCoy beating his defense from the pocket, thus he concentrated on Coverage. And HE knew the easiest way to prevent Griffin from screwing up his shut out was to NOT give him the chance to run around and try and find an open WR??

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't believe McCoy wasn't benched at halftime. That INT was all on him. I go back to the Titans game when Cousins was benched for McCoy in the 2nd half. It was the same situation last Sunday. The offense couldn't do anything. So why wasn't McCoy benched in the 2nd half like Cousins was?

This is where politics comes in. Gruden does not want to see RG3 play. He is done with him. It makes you wonder if Cousins was the backup QB and Rg3 was inactive. Would Cousins have been brought in the 2nd half of the Rams game? What a mess!!!!!!!

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

why wouldnt you bring the house on a guy cold off the bench , that you could put a finger in the eye of redskins owner , and you are facing a qb who clearly has trust issues running the offense

mccoy can run the offense but is limited physically rg3 has athletic tools but is lost like a fart in a whirlwind in the pocket

i find it funny that our 2 best running qbs take a crap load of sacks and the pocket guys is a turnover machine :suds:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That he was more worried about McCoy beating his defense from the pocket, thus he concentrated on Coverage. And HE knew the easiest way to prevent Griffin from screwing up his shut out was to NOT give him the chance to run around and try and find an open WR??

No DJax so there wasn't really a deep threat. Rams played cover 2 with press corners and rushed four. Houston all over again, make the Skins throw short. Griffin comes in and everyone knows he freezes under pressure so Fisher sent the house. Everyone that Griffin has played against blitzes him because he focuses more on the rush then his receivers down field.

I noticed McCoy saying "everyone" the other day too and he should have been called out like Griffin was. At the same time Griffin is the only QB that can't play in the pocket. I won't make excuses for McCoy because he was not very good Sunday but he still can do things that Griffin can't and so can Cousins. If they want Griffin to play he needs to learn to play like Wilson. What made Griffin dynamic was his legs, that made the rest of his game go.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A very interesting article indeed!! However, before I go on understand this.....I am well aware of the times that we live in and equally adamant that sometimes (as was true here) the old school way of doing things apply.

Back sometime after the draft of Griffin, I wrote that this team should not play him until there was sufficient retooling of the team and retraining of the QB into a more conventional/ lethal style. I won't argue with you...time has proven me correct.

Abut that article, in as much as it's accurate, it just didn't go far enough because it didn't look at what the dynamics are between how KC's is being treated and RGIII. On many occasions Gruden has stated that he likes KC and the things that he does. I'm not faulting Gruden, he's right, to most KC has a pocket presence that Griffin does not. Where I hold Gruden to task is he uses Griffin as a shield to mask what everyone knows to be true. That truth? The organization in it's haste to become relevant, fed this young man's ego at the horn of plenty reaping the rewards of the now (2012) in favor of having the foresight to take the time necessary to prepare a solid basis for the long run. keep in mind that Gruden was hired primarily as a QB guru to develop Griffin. What does it say when the guru seems convinced that the young man is beyond repair? Worse, what does it say about Gruden, when everyone is so enamored with his frankness, that he would rather openly trash the former franchise QB, and not those who trashed him?