• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hybrid cars have a long way to go. Suck.

ChiefWhiteHorse

Scrofula
A little town called none of ya god damn bidness
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I had a guy try to sell me on new double-pane windows for my house, telling me it would save energy costs. He wanted around $300 per window, I have 10 windows, making the cost around $3000.
My power bill for the entire YEAR in 2011 was $578. No fucking way I would see any savings in my lifetime.

Just seal your house off with bullet-proof lucite and you won't have any problems with energy costs.

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just seal your house off with bullet-proof lucite and you won't have any problems with energy costs.

Well, I could, but I don't really have a problem with energy costs, and I'd have to get out of bed.

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. I had a guy try to sell me on new double-pane windows for my house, telling me it would save energy costs. He wanted around $300 per window, I have 10 windows, making the cost around $3000.
My power bill for the entire YEAR in 2011 was $578. No fucking way I would see any savings in my lifetime.

Unless I'm misreadin this or something

If you live 40 more years there, assuming inflation (energy) tracks inflation (general) the windows would only need to offer an ~13 % net energy efficiency gain to break even. Anything beyond that would be positive gain and worth doing.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you live 40 more years there, assuming inflation (energy) tracks inflation (general) the windows would only need to offer an ~13 % net energy efficiency gain to break even. Anything beyond that would be positive gain and worth doing.

Holy mackerel...you've outdone even yourself on this one. How would saving maybe 20 bucks a year on $500 in total electric bills pay for $3,000 in 40 years?

50x40=2000 even when the magnificent time value of money is not even subtracted.

Greenie weenie math rarely adds-up. Moreover, libutards are libtarded.

:pound::pound::pound:

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy mackerel...you've outdone even yourself on this one. How would saving maybe 20 bucks a year on $500 in total electric bills pay for $3,000 in 40 years?

20x40=800 even when the magnificent time value of money is not even subtracted.

Greenie weenie math rarely adds-up. Moreover, libutards are libtarded.

:pound::pound::pound:

epic fail by Juice the Moron

24seven

Biggest Cock Around Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll be dead in 40 years.
In the meantime, I could use that $3000 to earn about 10-12% per year via investment, much more money than I would save on the power bill. That return alone would cover 50% of the yearly bill.
Also, given that about 25% of my power bill is a basic service charge, a 13% reduction in actual energy use charges would amount to even less. Naturally that would extend the projected time to break even beyond 40 years.
Not a wise move.

LeaderOCola

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be dead in 40 years.
In the meantime, I could use that $3000 to earn about 10-12% per year via investment, much more money than I would save on the power bill. That return alone would cover 50% of the yearly bill.
Also, given that about 25% of my power bill is a basic service charge, a 13% reduction in actual energy use charges would amount to even less. Naturally that would extend the projected time to break even beyond 40 years.
Not a wise move.

Which is a fine level of analysis if one assume (used) energy inflation tracks or underperforms general inflation

My bet is that it doesn't though

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just turn your power meter upside down 2 weeks a month. Then, you can have all the electricity you'd like fo' free!!

Oh...and don't forget to burn baby kittens for warmth in the winter.

hey Leader:
DOUCHEBAG.gif

li0lsh

Hoopla Cash
$ 737.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's the bottom line. The batteries wear-out in 5 - 8 years and the cost of replacement is, you guessed it, another $8,000. So, they never save you any fuel costs. So, I'm not sure what the point is except electric cars can be really fast with the electric motor torque.

1,500-3,000 actually

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a hybrid nissan altima. Gets 40 MPG. Not superb but it's better than my Caddy CTS was getting!

Although I really, really miss the comfort and quiet that the Caddy had. Only had this hybrid for about 5 months.... not sure if I can take much more of these shitty seats without heaters and the loud, bumpy ride.

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So buy one...that's the way to show support. It's $40k for a $20k Chevy cruze with a big battery that splashes acid on your kids if in a crash. To each his own - that's what I say about that.
Uh no. The batteries won't move in a crash due to the design of the battery enclosure. Also, lead acid batteries are only used as 12V starters because they do not produce much current/mass. They are not what is used for hybrid vehicles. Lithium ion chemistry is a safer chemistry in terms of leaks and more environmentally friendly.

However, the disadvantage of Lithium ion chemistry is that some variants of the chemistry is thermally unstable. That being said, the only problem that GM has had with the Volt's battery pack is when some idiot decided to store a Volt upside down after crash despite being told not to.

hokiehighsuperfly

I Go By Many Names
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What's the point in even trying.

We're fucked.

Humvees on the house...that only run on a mixture of toxic sludge, nuke-yoo-lar waste and baby seal blood.

FUCK YEAH MOTHER NATURE!!!! IN YOUR BITCHY FACE!!!

"That's nuke-you-lar energy, Lisa."

You should also throw some of this in for performance.

lisa-slurry.png

Ragingcroc

mcklSJDFIOj
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's the bottom line. The batteries wear-out in 5 - 8 years and the cost of replacement is, you guessed it, another $8,000. So, they never save you any fuel costs. So, I'm not sure what the point is except electric cars can be really fast with the electric motor torque.
One main advantage of electric vehicles and hybrids is reduce petroleum energy usage which reduces our dependence of foreign oil.

Also, electric motors are around 3 times more energy efficient than gas ICEs. Gas ICE will still become more efficient before its lifetime, but you can only get so efficient when your energy source is an explosion. Electric motors have less moving parts, so they have fewer things that can break on them. An electric motor does not require a multi-speed transmission to operate decent because the electric motor's torque speed curve. Electric motors only need a speed reduction. Broken transmissions sideline a lot of vehicles because there are a lot of moving parts in multi speed transmissions.

The problem right now is that they are expensive as fuck. However, some of the milder hybrids (milder means less electric) are starting to become affordable.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One main advantage of electric vehicles and hybrids is reduce petroleum energy usage which reduces our dependence of foreign oil.

Also, electric motors are around 3 times more energy efficient than gas ICEs. Gas ICE will still become more efficient before its lifetime, but you can only get so efficient when your energy source is an explosion. Electric motors have less moving parts, so they have fewer things that can break on them. An electric motor does not require a multi-speed transmission to operate decent because the electric motor's torque speed curve. Electric motors only need a speed reduction. Broken transmissions sideline a lot of vehicles because there are a lot of moving parts in multi speed transmissions.

The problem right now is that they are expensive as fuck. However, some of the milder hybrids (milder means less electric) are starting to become affordable.

Nah. Electric cars are great when they put a better portable recharging source in there...fuel cells or whatever. This thread was about "hybrid" cars as the are today. (that is them being pointless)

The current hybrid set-up works great on yachts, trains, and other vehicles that demand greater torque and have room for significant battery stations.

bchampy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those windows aren't worth the "savings" they give you. I use to install these(we charged about $150 per window) and they're mostly good for the look and ease of cleaning.

potzer25

The most eubillicant poster.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,909.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's a "Volt?" You mean the Obamamobile? Yeah, nobody would buy that POS except gov't entities forced to do so and a few heavy KoolAid consumers.

This Fisker appears to be little more than a fancier Obamamobile with a larger batter and equally pointless performance.

It looks nice!

lEhZlVs.jpg

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why anyone would hate on electric or hybrid cars.

We had a Prius it was a pretty good car in my opinion. Everyone who says they are flimsy or not powerful has never driven one. It was blue and my manhood was in question when I drove it alone, but other than that... we added a plug in charger to it and we have a solar electric system so the electricity to charge it was basically free and my wife used it to commute about 30 miles to work... we calculated out the gas costs and for every 100 miles she drove it she put .2 gallons of fuel in. So in theory, because our electricity didn't cost us anything we were getting 500 miles per gallon of petrol.