• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Huskies 2020 Season

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you guys all feel about this abbreviated season?

Perhaps I'm a debbie downer, but even before the pandemic I expected 8 wins at best and expected this year to be a step back given all the transition at key positions.

I really haven't been all that hyped about the start of the season and have followed college football less than I have in any other year.

At this point I see this as the equivalent of a preseason for 2021. At this point I'm mostly looking forward to seeing the growth of our younger guys, but I really don't have any strong expectations for this season and feel as if this season will always have an asterisk next to it.

If the team does do well, it will really be a huge boost of confidence for me in the ability of the coaching staff.
This is a weird season. For every team. None had spring ball to work on things or really see what they had in new players.

I've seen a lot less sharpness from the SEC and ACC teams that started basically ontime. And it will be worse for the Pac with all of this added time off.

I'll be happy to see ANY Pac12 action. Given that with just 7 games there really isn't any chance a Pac12 team would make the playoffs anyway, this gets to be a play the games just to play some football kind of season. I'm just going to roll with it.

I really doubt they finish the full season anyway. Just seems like Covid is on the rise and it won't take long before either Cali, Oregon, or WA goes back to shutting down again and makes practicing off limits which then kills the season. Maybe they TRY to move all the teams to a more open state and play out of a bubble? Who knows? Just not really feeling like the whole 7 game set is going to happen.

And I'm sure it happens in other conferences as well. At least they all got several more games in before that happens.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Less than 2 weeks to Husky football. Oh baby, can't wait.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I wasn't too worried about either the offense or defense in that game. A lot of young players and a new staff with a new offense with no spring ball, etc.

It was the special teams that were concerning. But not for that phase of the game, they win big.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I wasn't too worried about either the offense or defense in that game. A lot of young players and a new staff with a new offense with no spring ball, etc.

It was the special teams that were concerning. But not for that phase of the game, they win big.
Run D is a concern, but should be better when we get Latu and Tuli out there again.

All those things you mentioned, and also add a 8pm start and heavy rain, made for a tough way to start. But was still awesome to finally see the purple and gold out there.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Run D is a concern, but should be better when we get Latu and Tuli out there again.

All those things you mentioned, and also add a 8pm start and heavy rain, made for a tough way to start. But was still awesome to finally see the purple and gold out there.
Beavs have a solid run game though. They ran up like 220+ yards on the cougs in their first game. And of course, this was the beavs second game while it was UW's first. Zone rushed for 158 against USC. I'll wait until after that game to decide if they need more work on the run D.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said this on the other board, but a point spread of 11 to 11.5 points seems a bit high. Fully expect a fairly conservative offense again this week. Build on what they did last week. Hold some things in reserve for the AC the week after.

That's not to say they can't cover that spread. I'm sure zona is going to throw quite a bit more than the beavs did and UW has one of the top secondaries in the conf. Wouldn't take much to get a turnover or two and build a double digit lead.

I just don't like that scenario enough to put money on it. Still like the Dawgs to win.

Would also expect to see improvement with the ST, but as bad as they were last week it's hard to not accidentally be even a little bit better this week.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington opens a 5.5 point favorites at home against the Utes.

Good test for this young team.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not feelin it this year. I just don't think those kids should be out there with COVID going on.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not feelin it this year. I just don't think those kids should be out there with COVID going on.
I mean has there been an athlete of any sport at any level that has actually died or had long-term illness from the virus? :noidea:

Not at all worried about losing or record. Treating this more like a long spring training. Young team, new staff. This doesn't count against their eligibility even. It's just a chance to see college football in some form, even if it really isn't normal.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean has there been an athlete of any sport at any level that has actually died or had long-term illness from the virus? :noidea:

Not at all worried about losing or record. Treating this more like a long spring training. Young team, new staff. This doesn't count against their eligibility even. It's just a chance to see college football in some form, even if it really isn't normal.

True, but they found that out on the fly. First schools that played were basically using their players as guinea pigs. That still seems unethical to me.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but they found that out on the fly. First schools that played were basically using their players as guinea pigs. That still seems unethical to me.
They know that comorbidities are the keys to younger people that can get very sick. Athletes tend to not have those. Doesn't mean that not one kid could ever die or have a long lasting issue, but it would be rare.

I would argue that just going to school is where the danger is, not football practice.

We have a neighbor that has a daughter enrolled at the university of hawaii. She's home now for Thanksgiving and to see a cardiologist. She has 2 roommates in her dorm. One chose to go to a party and ended up getting Covid. This neighbor has had heart issues and shortness of breath ever since.

All of the kids playing football want to be there. They were all given the choice to sit out and I believe there have been kids that did just that. I do not blame any that make that choice and they should be able to fully return without reprisal next year. Those who chose to stay and play should have that chance and deserve to have the best medical advice and practice available.

These kids get special treatment. There aren't any other kids on campus getting daily covid testing. No others have specialized medical staff attending to them. Just ask my neighbor. When those kids do come up with Covid they are getting treatment not available to the general public. Still haven't heard of any cases where a kid was hospitalized, nor had anything more than mild symptoms with full recovery.

Not trying to talk you out of any moral driven boycott you may be feeling this year. There are lots of fans that dropped off because of their support for BLM and other politically driven narratives. Everyone needs to do what feels right for them.

I personally keep politics out of sports and maybe since I work for a hospital and have lived Covid every single day since February I just have a different take on that as well.

Stay safe and have a happy holiday season. The light at the end of the tunnel is at least in sight now.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dawgs are 11.5 point favorites tomorrow at home vs the Cardinal. Kickoff at 1pm. I mean an afternoon game? How odd is that? :noidea:
4th straight 'home game', which of course doesn't mean much without fans.

Their only scheduled road game now is next week at autism. Unless they find a way to fit the cougs in somewhere after that, next week is the end of the weird ass 'season' outside of the joke of a CCG. Doubt there will be any bowl games.

I know Stanford isn't good this year, but 11.5 points is a lot for a young offense. We saw a bit of Morris' growing pains last week. Stanford's D hasn't been very good. Like they are barely higher than Oregon's D. And their offense is also bottom third of the conference.

The Huskies have the top rated defense in the conference this year. I have no doubt they can hold Stanford to a fairly low score.

I would take the Huskies to win and cover, but given what I saw last week I won't be putting money on the cover.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no problem with catching Stanford on a down year. I hope we can take advantage and kick the crap outta them today!

.....but first the 'Zags-Baylor game. That should be fun.