• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hultzen???

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any news on Danny Hultzen? The kid we took because he supposedly had a fast track to the majors.

The other two big 3 are on teh big league DL, got me wondering about Hultzen, the super high pick.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is out for year I believe after having surgery on a torn rotator cuff (I think)

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, hultzen won't be playing this year at all

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just remember he's the player they took instead of Jose Fernandez, Anthony Rendon, Dylan Bundy, and Sonny Gray because he was the most "MLB Ready".

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of ironic now isn't it? BPA is always the way to go in all sports. They blew it....again.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just remember he's the player they took instead of Jose Fernandez, Anthony Rendon, Dylan Bundy, and Sonny Gray because he was the most "MLB Ready".
Hindsight is always 20-20 I guess, in reality the MLB draft is a crap shoot. Its much less of a sure thing then the NFL or NBA draft. Hultzen was one of the top rated guys going into that draft and he was progressing pretty well in the minors until his injury. Plus with the way shoulder injuries are popping up its hard for me to say its anything but bad luck at this point.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was so pissed! I wanted them to go after Rendon but hell anybody but Vargas 2.0. That's Hultzen's ceiling. He won't ever amount to squat and just believe me. It was a wasted pick and if you weren't a moron and from the ESPN Boards then you knew it the second he was selected as well.
:lame:

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd put money on Hultzen never throwing a pitch for the Mariners. Unfortunately M's fans know this story all too well.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was so pissed! I wanted them to go after Rendon but hell anybody but Vargas 2.0. That's Hultzen's ceiling. He won't ever amount to squat and just believe me. It was a wasted pick and if you weren't a moron and from the ESPN Boards then you knew it the second he was selected as well.
:lame:

Rendon was the pick. He was rated higher and was at a position of need at the time (3B). Hultzen was never thought of as an ACE potential by anyone in scouting but M's had their reasons to pick him just like they did the young catcher (Barron?) with their 2nd pick in round one in another draft around the same time. Neither pick was a bad hindsight pick, they were both thought of as major reaches at the time.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rendon was the pick. He was rated higher and was at a position of need at the time (3B). Hultzen was never thought of as an ACE potential by anyone in scouting but M's had their reasons to pick him just like they did the young catcher (Barron?) with their 2nd pick in round one in another draft around the same time. Neither pick was a bad hindsight pick, they were both thought of as major reaches at the time.

Well said....

Rendon was the guy I wanted too. I am more disappointed they took a pitcher over a position player then the fact they took Hultzen or a guy like Jose Fernandez. Fernandez wasn't rated higher then Hultzen on anyones board if I remember correctly. Its still early for all the guys in that draft. No guarantee Hultzen wont make it back in couple of years and contribute or that guys like Rendon, Fernandez etc. wont get hurt or struggle.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait guys I'll defend Danny Hultzen and you cant blame anybody for getting hurt you cant predict something like that, if tai walker got hurt for the whole season would you be mad at management for bringing him up? If he was healthy he would be pitching better than walker you can take that to the bank. Look at his numbers in AAA 4w 1L 2.05 ERA 30 innings and 34 Strikeouts? This guy was looking like cliff lee

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and you really cant get on them for passing up on jose fernandez last time i checked 12 other teams also passed up on him.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait guys I'll defend Danny Hultzen and you cant blame anybody for getting hurt you cant predict something like that, if tai walker got hurt for the whole season would you be mad at management for bringing him up? If he was healthy he would be pitching better than walker you can take that to the bank. Look at his numbers in AAA 4w 1L 2.05 ERA 30 innings and 34 Strikeouts? This guy was looking like cliff lee

I agree. He was on pace to be the first one to arrive. It is not because he did not develop properly or show promise as a number 2-3 type pitcher. He did show promise. I think some people feel if it is a top 5 pick, then it should be a superstar, but that is just not the history of baseball players in any way shape or form. No data could back that up, and his career is not over. Imagine how the Yanks felt when they got Pineda. It sucked, but I bet they are ok with it so far this season.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine how the Yanks felt when they got Pineda. It sucked, but I bet they are ok with it so far this season.

Good point. Bottom Line is you cant fault a guy or a an organization for a freak injury.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hultzen was look fantastic until he got hurt. His trajectory was faster and more consistent than either Walker or Paxton.

I've seen some who really never liked the idea of signing Hultzen in the first place, but facts are facts.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have never been a fan of the Hultzen pick. I have always viewed him with a ceiling as a solid #3 starter on some teams and a #2 on others.

With that said I understand why the pick was made even if I don't agree with the reason. He was the "safe" pick at the time.

I have no doubt that Hultzen will be effective at the MLB level. But I honestly think he has (maybe had) more value as trade bait for the Mariners than as a player.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You NEVER draft for need and he wasn't rated higher...he was safe. He was so-called more "polished" and mlb ready and they liked his "make-up" STUPID. by the way. :doh:

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nevermind NWinAZ I didn't fully read your post and I'm stoned and I thought you said something about us drafting for need like a pitcher lol. Idk disregard my comment.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did the second I read it.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't remember anyone who covers baseball saying that Hultzen was a reach when we drafted him. In fact, I can't remember the last time the Mariners drafted someone in the first round where the reaction was "I have no idea what the Mariners are doing picking that guy". With Hultzen in particular, I remember him being thought of as one of those guys who was coveted by enough teams that, had the M's passed on him, he wouldn't have lasted much longer on the board.

If there's anything about the draft that I wish they'd do away with, it's the phrase "most major league ready". It's a phrase that is pretty vague and it puts a lot of pressure on the guy who gets that label to be ready to contribute in the majors almost immediately and if he struggles to adjust initially, gets moved to a position he's not familiar with in an attempt to get him up sooner and struggles or gets hurt before he makes it to the majors, suddenly he becomes a bust.