• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How was the line play?

• Thread starter cubzzzfanincali
  • Start date
C

cubzzzfanincali

Question from those of us who care but can't find answers. How do you think the bear o and d lines played? Who were they beating, who did they lose to? Who were the bills running against mostly, who were the bears trying to run against mostly, and how did that work out?

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wasnt able to watch that much, just really heard the game.

After watching Peppers get up to 290 to play end, we now have two small ends. I though Houston was pushing 300, but he is playing at 268. Jared allen was always small.

Jared Allen and Lamar Houston each had one tackle. So did B Marshall, Mills and Bushrod. You would think Allen and Houston wanted to make a bigger impression.

Stat of the day, Jared Allen has yet to win a game in soldiers field.

Same old same old, Vets get no real playing time in preseason and are not ready to go week one.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question from those of us who care but can't find answers. How do you think the bear o and d lines played? Who were they beating, who did they lose to? Who were the bills running against mostly, who were the bears trying to run against mostly, and how did that work out?

The Bills attacked the left side of the Bears line running the football. It seemed like they were going right at Allen at times, to be honest. A very underwhelming performance from JA… Houston too. Willie Young was the lone standout performance, made a few tackles in the backfield and had the lone sack. The pass rush was not what we all had hoped for. That much was certain.

The offensive line was good in run blocking for the most part. Both Ola and De Le Puente came in relief of Slauson and Garza... did a good job in that respect. Ola got beat in pass protection, and Mills got beat by Mario Williams on several occasions. For many pressures, and once for a sack. Kyle Williams, Buffalo's big DT beat up on Ola a bit on passing plays as well. Got a good push up the middle. Caused a couple of bad throws from Cutler. When Marshall and Jeffery were both out (and even Morgan for a short period of time) Cutler clearly looked uncomfortable in sets with Holmes and Spurlock.

After Slauson left, there was a clear drop off in pass protection.

Bushrod played a good game.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i thought our defensive line played ok. Allen was double teamed alot causing alot of useless attempts at trying to get a sack. But our Linebackers are non existant. Our secondary is only half there. Not sure if tillman will make it through the season. probably shoulda tried to get champ bailey. at least he knows how to tackle.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone key on our rookie DT's? Cause I don't remember hearing their names at all day.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i thought our defensive line played ok. Allen was double teamed alot causing alot of useless attempts at trying to get a sack. But our Linebackers are non existant. Our secondary is only half there. Not sure if tillman will make it through the season. probably shoulda tried to get champ bailey. at least he knows how to tackle.

Isn't Champ available now? He was cut by New Orleans...did someone else pick him up?
Bears already claimed a safety off Vikings practice squad.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone key on our rookie DT's? Cause I don't remember hearing their names at all day.

Sutton made a play or two in the run game. Thats about it.

I thought it was Matt Toeina for a second out there, then realized it was sutton

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

as far as i know they were active but never seen either one play a down. maybe special teams.

55briggs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Champ available now? He was cut by New Orleans...did someone else pick him up?
Bears already claimed a safety off Vikings practice squad.

oh yeah Baily is availlable but unlikely we would make a move like that. I dont think it would be a bad idea though, our rookie CB looked like crap. any vet woulda played better.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bear D gave up 198 yards running... That can't continue, I don't care if 60+ were in OT. Because, the D line was man handled on running plays, they couldn't generate a pass rush (at least to me), outside of Young. Seriously poor performance by both Houston and Allen even in obvious passing downs.

Biggix

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garza kept snapping the ball low, and holding a lot too... DLP came in and played better. DLP should start IMO

bob0311

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bills attacked the left side of the Bears line running the football. It seemed like they were going right at Allen at times, to be honest. A very underwhelming performance from JA… Houston too. Willie Young was the lone standout performance, made a few tackles in the backfield and had the lone sack. The pass rush was not what we all had hoped for. That much was certain.

The offensive line was good in run blocking for the most part. Both Ola and De Le Puente came in relief of Slauson and Garza... did a good job in that respect. Ola got beat in pass protection, and Mills got beat by Mario Williams on several occasions. For many pressures, and once for a sack. Kyle Williams, Buffalo's big DT beat up on Ola a bit on passing plays as well. Got a good push up the middle. Caused a couple of bad throws from Cutler. When Marshall and Jeffery were both out (and even Morgan for a short period of time) Cutler clearly looked uncomfortable in sets with Holmes and Spurlock.

Well on my TV Bushrod gave up the first sack the offensive line couldn't run block at all . Until the pass set up the run

this offensive line didn't blow anyone off the ball. this is not a smashmouth line . this is a finesse pass protection line.

Just because the bar is set so low here in Chicago we shouldn't allocate greatness to the average

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well on my TV Bushrod gave up the first sack the offensive line couldn't run block at all . Until the pass set up the run

this offensive line didn't blow anyone off the ball. this is not a smashmouth line . this is a finesse pass protection line.

Just because the bar is set so low here in Chicago we shouldn't allocate greatness to the average

Thats my point with cutler and snap counts though. You keep going on the same hut all game and the defense knows when you are coming. You go on first sound and the d line is on thier heels. Its the time you run a draw to Forte because your lineman have the advantage of going before they think you are coming.

It might be the best offense in football, but if you dont use the stuff you learn in highschool to keep the defense off balanced you lose a ton of the explosiveness.

Dirk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all the talk of the pass setting up the run, who cares?

Compared to last season, forte and the line were way better. 80+ on 17 carries with a long of only 14? It was frigging mid season last year before he got that kind of production on the ground.

There were also alot less of the "hand forte the ball, watch him get hit immediately" runs that we saw last year as well. They'll never be a drive blocking smashmouth put the D-line 5 yards back type of line, but they were effective yesterday.

dirtboy068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
better than garbage cutler...

C

cubzzzfanincali

Thank you Richie. Very informative.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oline played fine, particularly considering the injuries.

D-line was ok in the middle and Willie Young made a case to start IMO. Houston and JA did nothing, but worse still, were the LBs. Pretty much non existent.

The O put the D in shitty spots all day tho. The 13 points they got off of turnovers took a total of 58 yards to get. Tough to really have any execute any gameplan when yer backs are against the wall to start out.