• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How Does Phil Jackson Rate As GM So Far?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be honest I am not a fan of Phil Jackson as a general manager for a few reasons. Before he left the Lakers the first time, he wanted the Lakers to keep Shaq and trade Kobe. That by itself spoke volumes to me that he did not have g.m. skills. Then he went along and never said anything to Kobe about the Lakers "five year plan" to rebuild the Lakers and it was not until Kobe demanded a trade that brought us Pau Gasol and more championships. One might argue that the trade would have happened any way, without Kobe's intervention, but I am still convinced that Phil Jackson was okay with the five year plan and was lacking vision.

Now with the Knicks, he has resigned Carmelo Anthony even though he has already said in prior years that Carmelo is not a good ball player in the sense of good ball movement, being a selfish player and etc. His exact reasons for wanting to trade Kobe to begin with. It's early, but it doesn't seem to bode well for the Knicks with Phil Jackson in charge. I think the organization is going to want some huge improvements for the next year

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus Christ could've been the Knicks GM this year and it wouldn't have mattered. They are tanking successfully and will end up with a very good prospect to pair with Melo and have tons of cap space.

Not gonna rate him for at least another season or two. This offseason will basically be his first REAL offseason.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Keep a marquee player in the fold (it doesnt matter if he plays in 2015)
2. Tank to get a top prospect
3. Dump all other useless long term deals
3. Free up a shitload of cap space in an intriguing approaching market

All things told its a B grade honestly based on long term goals

But, since its New York, the skewed portrayal makes it seem like some failure.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Keep a marquee player in the fold (it doesnt matter if he plays in 2015)
2. Tank to get a top prospect
3. Dump all other useless long term deals
3. Free up a shitload of cap space in an intriguing approaching market

All things told its a B grade honestly based on long term goals

But, since its New York, the skewed portrayal makes it seem like some failure.
Probably too soon to tell, but so far I have seen anything spectacular that justifies his extremely high salary and has been an average g.m. at the best. Just doesn't look at that great to me and I don't believe he meant to tank it. I think he was expecting a better team which blew up in his face

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably too soon to tell, but so far I have seen anything spectacular that justifies his extremely high salary and has been an average g.m. at the best. Just doesn't look at that great to me and I don't believe he meant to tank it. I think he was expecting a better team which blew up in his face

Phil Jackson has been apart of so many championship teams and has vastly superior basketball knowledge than any poster in here by a long shot. He knew exactly what he was doing. This team looked awful on paper even with a healthy Melo.

Let's say they draft one of Towns/Okafor then sign a max contract player and a couple solid role players then get Melo back… then they're back in business.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil Jackson has been apart of so many championship teams and has vastly superior basketball knowledge than any poster in here by a long shot. He knew exactly what he was doing. This team looked awful on paper even with a healthy Melo.

Let's say they draft one of Towns/Okafor then sign a max contract player and a couple solid role players then get Melo back… then they're back in business.
I think we would need to see another year to be sure of that, but from everything I have witnessed in Los Angeles, yes as a coach he has been vastly superior, but being a great coach does not mean he knows how to be a great general manager.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we would need to see another year to be sure of that, but from everything I have witnessed in Los Angeles, yes as a coach he has been vastly superior, but being a great coach does not mean he knows how to be a great general manager.

True, but you can never judge a GM of a rebuilding team after 1 year. Like I said before, this offseason is going to be huge for him… if he blows it then the criticism will pour in.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but you can never judge a GM of a rebuilding team after 1 year. Like I said before, this offseason is going to be huge for him… if he blows it then the criticism will pour in.
Especially since his first year was a disaster.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its sad to see some one fall apart. Should of never went to NY. Ny is where u go to die as a basketball player, Coach or GM. THis team won't be good for a long. Carmelo will be past his prime when they even compete.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I heard he like big butts so that's worth an A

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why any superstar would want to play in NYC. They have the most negative fans you can imagine. It's Phil's first year. He got Melo, a top 3 draft pick, and tons of cap space. I honestly hope(think)he will land Greg Monroe who seems miserable in Detroit who is absolutely perfect for the triangle, Tobias Harris of Orlando wants to come here, and if we get a good guard, we are back in the hunt in the weak East. It's not as bad as it seems.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see why any superstar would want to play in NYC. They have the most negative fans you can imagine. It's Phil's first year. He got Melo, a top 3 draft pick, and tons of cap space. I honestly hope(think)he will land Greg Monroe who seems miserable in Detroit who is absolutely perfect for the triangle, Tobias Harris of Orlando wants to come here, and if we get a good guard, we are back in the hunt in the weak East. It's not as bad as it seems.
If Monroe is miserable in Detroit why would he want to go to New York?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Monroe is miserable in Detroit why would he want to go to New York?
Max money! Plus he's a perfect fit for the triangle. Plus for some odd reason, here in the NYC area, he's been linked with the Knicks for 2 years. He's an unrestricted Free agent this year so Detroit couldn't match any offer. If I was him, would I play in NYC? Heck no! The media and fans put white hot pressure on anyone who comes in town. But you never know. He may like it.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus Christ could've been the Knicks GM this year and it wouldn't have mattered. They are tanking successfully and will end up with a very good prospect to pair with Melo and have tons of cap space.

Not gonna rate him for at least another season or two. This offseason will basically be his first REAL offseason.

exactly- you have to give him an incomplete- All though his two trades- the Chandler deal and the Smith/Shumpert deal he got absolutely nothing of value back in either trade- and all 3 of those players have been pretty good.

He inherited a team that was a mess- with no cap room- and a star that is a me-first ball hog who just might have his best basketball behind him.

NYK is a mess- at least they have this years draft pick. Maybe between this years pick, and Melo and cap room they can get something started- but say A BEST CASE SCENARIO HAPPENS- they draft Okafor, hes really good, they sign Kevin Love to play the 4 and a decent PG....what are they? a 5 seed in the East? Its not a team that is competing for a championship or even a conference title in my opinion- and thats with a best case scenario outlook.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
exactly- you have to give him an incomplete- All though his two trades- the Chandler deal and the Smith/Shumpert deal he got absolutely nothing of value back in either trade- and all 3 of those players have been pretty good.

He inherited a team that was a mess- with no cap room- and a star that is a me-first ball hog who just might have his best basketball behind him.

NYK is a mess- at least they have this years draft pick. Maybe between this years pick, and Melo and cap room they can get something started- but say A BEST CASE SCENARIO HAPPENS- they draft Okafor, hes really good, they sign Kevin Love to play the 4 and a decent PG....what are they? a 5 seed in the East? Its not a team that is competing for a championship or even a conference title in my opinion- and thats with a best case scenario outlook.

This is just me, but if I took over I'd definitely take Towns or Okafor if I got a two top pick. After that I'd target someone like Paul Millsap and throw max money at him and then make a run for Reggie Jackson and Danny Green as role players. They have enough $ to sign one max deal and then a couple other large, but not huge contracts.

A lineup of Reggie Jackson-Danny Green-Carmelo Anthony-Paul Millsap-Karl Towns/Jalil Okafor is a relatively young group filled with talent. In the East it really isn't that hard to revamp your roster into a playoff contender so if Phil plays his cards right they could be on the rise fast.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What the hell you were expecting, that's so spectacular, in year 1 that's not even completed yet?

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil sold low on the few assets he had- in Chandler/Shumpert....
This is just me, but if I took over I'd definitely take Towns or Okafor if I got a two top pick. After that I'd target someone like Paul Millsap and throw max money at him and then make a run for Reggie Jackson and Danny Green as role players. They have enough $ to sign one max deal and then a couple other large, but not huge contracts.

A lineup of Reggie Jackson-Danny Green-Carmelo Anthony-Paul Millsap-Karl Towns/Jalil Okafor is a relatively young group filled with talent. In the East it really isn't that hard to revamp your roster into a playoff contender so if Phil plays his cards right they could be on the rise fast.

I like how you went young with the roster.

My issue is that- what are the Knicks trying to do? are they trying to win a title? or is the fanbase going to be happy with a slightly better than mediocre team that might win a playoff series here and there but never really contend for the conference title- let alone an NBA title

Last time they got Melo and had to get Amare- but they had max room and spent it on Tyson Chandler- when they could have waited for CP3- who had expressed genuine interest. What happened? They got decent-to pretty good- won i think either 1 or 2 playoff series over a 3-4 year span and now are rebuilding.

The thing is- they dont have their draft pickNEXT year- so its not like a strategy of being bad for another year and getting 2 big time building blocks would even help......teams like the Knicks who try and solve all their woes through free agency and trade all their draft picks MAYBE if they are lucky get a big name or two- but its nearly impossible to add quality players when that cap room is gone and there are a paucity of draft picks to use from bad trades--- i mean the Knicks owe Toronto a first rounder for Bargnani, i mean seriously...thats just awful.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the hell you were expecting, that's so spectacular, in year 1 that's not even completed yet?
At the kind of money he is demanding - I would be expecting better results then the worst team in the league.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I actually like Towns over Okafor because of his defense and athleticism. I like Danny Green as well so I hope you are right and we get him. Out of Paul Milsap and Monroe, I kind of want Monroe but Milsap is the better team player. Plus Milsap has said in so many words that he wouldn't mind playing for the Knicks. PG has always been the Knicks biggest weakness.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the kind of money he is demanding - I would be expecting better results then the worst team in the league.

:wtf:

He took over a team that, if they stayed healthy, would have been a 6-8 seed in the East (at best) and with the contracts they had guys signed to, would have been stuck there for the foreseeable future.

They are horrible this year, but he has them set up with a high draft pick and some cap space so that they can actually be set up to compete for a title more quickly.

The only question now is whether the owner will finally be smart enough to sit back, stfu and let actual basketball people run things, or will he want to throw a bunch of money at ill-fitting "name players" like he usually does?