• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How does IR work on ESPN?

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm in a league which allows for an injured reserve spot. I've got Arian Foster who will be out for who knows how many weeks.

I put him on IR and picked up Mariota for the hell of it just in case he explodes and maybe I'll want him.

Now let's say week 5 Arian Foster returns to playing status. What happens? Does ESPN just automatically kick someone off my roster since I have too many players and nobody is injured anymore?

I guess what I'm mostly concerned about is.....do I need to follow Foster's status to make sure I drop Mariota or someone else before Foster leaves his status of "out?"

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to bring them off IR, you gotta drop someone, i dont think they auto re-roster him

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea SP is right...they'll leave him on IR all year long if you don't do anything with him

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I'm in a league which allows for an injured reserve spot. I've got Arian Foster who will be out for who knows how many weeks.

I put him on IR and picked up Mariota for the hell of it just in case he explodes and maybe I'll want him.

Now let's say week 5 Arian Foster returns to playing status. What happens? Does ESPN just automatically kick someone off my roster since I have too many players and nobody is injured anymore?

I guess what I'm mostly concerned about is.....do I need to follow Foster's status to make sure I drop Mariota or someone else before Foster leaves his status of "out?"

ESPN is majorly different on the IR spot. The player MUST be officially 'out' to put him there. Once there he can remain there until his status changes. The catch is this, if the players team status becomes anything (Questionable or Probable) other than 'OUT' or 'IR', he can stay there - but you will not be able to add/drop or adjust your roster without clearing space for him to return to your active roster. It can be a pain when you have someone who is officially listed as Questionable by the team (even knowing that they will not play) then declared out the day before games.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the feedback!

I just didn't want to be sitting there come week 5 and all of a sudden find out Arian Foster is sitting on waivers because I didn't take him off IR soon enough.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything said but you should know that even if Foster's status changes and you still have him in the IR slot, you will NOT be able to adjust your roster until you move him off of IR.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't use the IR unless it's a player that is definitely out for a while. I have had guys who bounce between O* & doubtful for a good portion of the season. It's just a pain having your roster moves locked till he is on the active roster.

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
foster will only be missing week 1.
Saw Rotoworld posted a quote from some CBS lackey essentially saying the same thing, that he'd be playing in week 2 or 3.
Just brings back the nightmare that was Gronk's forearm infection in 2013. Was on target for week 1. Then week 3. Then week 5. Didn't play until week 7.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't use the IR unless it's a player that is definitely out for a while. I have had guys who bounce between O* & doubtful for a good portion of the season. It's just a pain having your roster moves locked till he is on the active roster.

What? I don't understand why it changes anything....

The IR spot is just an extra spot on my roster. So by me moving Foster into the IR spot last night, it actually allows me to pick up another player while I wait for him to come off of IR.

So now I have my full roster, which I can move around however I want, and I still get to hang on to Foster without having to drop him.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything said but you should know that even if Foster's status changes and you still have him in the IR slot, you will NOT be able to adjust your roster until you move him off of IR.

Right, but all I have to do is drop Mariota....correct?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have an un-injured player on injured reserve, ESPN will not allow you to make a roster move until you re-activate the player from IR.

It's no big deal, you just have to cut someone. And that someone can be the player that's on IR if you want.

You can leave them there until you feel the need to make a move, which is an extra bench spot really.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What? I don't understand why it changes anything....

The IR spot is just an extra spot on my roster. So by me moving Foster into the IR spot last night, it actually allows me to pick up another player while I wait for him to come off of IR.

So now I have my full roster, which I can move around however I want, and I still get to hang on to Foster without having to drop him.

I was referencing guys who one week have O designation, with qualifies for the IR position, then next week have a doubtful. Rinse & repeat for a month. The player may be out the whole time, but the minute he is no longer listed as out, you are locked out of roster moves till you drop a player & active the IR player.

For players who you know will be out & designated as out for a few weeks, the IR spot is a good place for him. But a player who may be uncertain, but listed as out for a week & then plays the yo-yo game with is injury designation for a month, using the IR spot for him might not be a good idea.

Davis_Mike

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you have an un-injured player on injured reserve, ESPN will not allow you to make a roster move until you re-activate the player from IR.

It's no big deal, you just have to cut someone. And that someone can be the player that's on IR if you want.

You can leave them there until you feel the need to make a move, which is an extra bench spot really.

Our pay league uses ESPN. It costs $5 a waiver/free agent addition after your first 3 moves. And our commish will forcibly move our player off IR an hour prior to Sunday games if a player loses his out designation. You will either lose the player picked up when you put the player on IR or if that player is no longer on your team, you will lose the last player you picked up off of waivers/free agency.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our pay league uses ESPN. It costs $5 a waiver/free agent addition after your first 3 moves. And our commish will forcibly move our player off IR an hour prior to Sunday games if a player loses his out designation. You will either lose the player picked up when you put the player on IR or if that player is no longer on your team, you will lose the last player you picked up off of waivers/free agency.
My CBS league works almost the same way. One of the two players has to be cut. Or commish will do it for us. But it's a pay league too.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea that's what I feared.