• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How did we lose

Mustard Tiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly gkekoa, I think we should have went after Phillips or even Rob Ryan after last season. Look at the Saints D vs where they were last year. Meanwhile we are still garbage on defense, and will be until a system change is made.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The system doesn't need to be changed. The coach perhaps. Then again, we are 36 million dollars less than other teams.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly gkekoa, I think we should have went after Phillips or even Rob Ryan after last season. Look at the Saints D vs where they were last year. Meanwhile we are still garbage on defense, and will be until a system change is made.

Rob Ryan and Mike Shanahan?? I don't think so.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does that matter? I showed exact plays where Minnesota got away with blatant violations.

Do you think that Washington got away with any non calls as well? Like John Madden used to say, there is holding on every play, it just depends on whether the refs see it or not. The penalties are not the reason y'all lost. Y'all lost because your offense couldn't do shit in the 2nd half.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think that Washington got away with any non calls as well? Like John Madden used to say, there is holding on every play, it just depends on whether the refs see it or not. The penalties are not the reason y'all lost. Y'all lost because your offense couldn't do shit in the 2nd half.

Forget the officiating. Lame complaint, regardless. Good teams step up and execute. Our offense did not do enough in the second half, true. The primary culprit last nite was our D and STs. The mental errors and lack of discipline were the icing on the cake.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the issue is this team had lofty expectations by us fans and perhaps last season was a fluke or we didnt quite arrive yet

3 years ago the detroit lions went 10-6 made the playoffs and seemed to be soaring .

last season they went 4=12

this season they are 5-3 and are in contention for a division title at 5-3.

maybe we are like them , maybe we are not

we have had issues since the shanahan's got here . we had a terrible roster . no qb , poor scouting and an awful cap

now we have better players and after this 2nd year of a cap penalty perhaps we can fill a few of the gaping holes on defense and the o/line .

now as homeristic as this sounds we arent out of this yet . we can still go 10-6 or maybe 9-7

once we are out of this then perhaps we play a ribeye and a gettis and see what we have . perhaps we role out a compton and see if they are viable options

but until then i will focus on how we can beat the eagles and make a run . :suds:

Mustard Tiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gkekoa, by system change I meant the man running the system. Any new coordinator will want to implement his own ideas, put his stamp on it, hence it's his system. It can stay a 3-4, that's for them to decide. As for Rob Ryan and Shanahan coexisting, I agree probably not possible, just wishful thinking. I was just trying to point out that with essentially the same players, a coach can have that much of an impact. They went from dead last in total D last year, to ranked #5 so far this year.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the issue is this team had lofty expectations by us fans and perhaps last season was a fluke or we didnt quite arrive yet

3 years ago the detroit lions went 10-6 made the playoffs and seemed to be soaring .

last season they went 4=12

this season they are 5-3 and are in contention for a division title at 5-3.

maybe we are like them , maybe we are not

we have had issues since the shanahan's got here . we had a terrible roster . no qb , poor scouting and an awful cap

now we have better players and after this 2nd year of a cap penalty perhaps we can fill a few of the gaping holes on defense and the o/line .

now as homeristic as this sounds we arent out of this yet . we can still go 10-6 or maybe 9-7

once we are out of this then perhaps we play a ribeye and a gettis and see what we have . perhaps we role out a compton and see if they are viable options

but until then i will focus on how we can beat the eagles and make a run . :suds:

Couldn't agree with you more! :nod::nod::hope::hope::suds: Dont know if i can go as far as your homeristic record prediction BUT it is mathmatically possible and its a 'Week to week league', as I always say. Who knows what will happen. I will always try to remain optimistic and root for my skins.

Mustard Tiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although it may seem hard to believe considering how anemic Ponder can be at times, when Ponder is the QB, scoring points is not a problem with the Vikes. In Ponder's 6 starts, the Vikes are averaging 28 points/game. In the games that Ponder didn't start, the Vikes averaged 17 points.

True, but playing minus half of your o-line and TE, even a die-hard Vikes fan would not have predicted 34 points without any defensive takeaways or special teams scores.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but playing minus half of your o-line and TE, even a die-hard Vikes fan would not have predicted 34 points without any defensive takeaways or special teams scores.

Lol, now that's a very painful truth.

Btw, welcome mustard! Glad to have you aboard :suds:

Mustard Tiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, glad to be here, I just wish it was for celebrating. I still hope we can turn this around

Mustard Tiger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gkekoa, by system change I meant the man running the system. Any new coordinator will want to implement his own ideas, put his stamp on it, hence it's his system. It can stay a 3-4, that's for them to decide. As for Rob Ryan and Shanahan coexisting, I agree probably not possible, just wishful thinking. I was just trying to point out that with essentially the same players, a coach can have that much of an impact. They went from dead last in total D last year, to ranked #5 so far this year.

I meant to say the Saints went from last to 5th

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, glad to be here, I just wish it was for celebrating. I still hope we can turn this around

Anythings possible. I'd be happy with a complete game and some consistency at this point. Anything else would be gravy ;)

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody claiming that officiating had nothing to do with this game...go back and watch it. I understand that holding occurs on every play. That being said, every time it happens in space, near the ball, and the defensive players body it turned, it is not missed.

Anytime it happens on the goal line, blatantly, with seconds to go in the game, it is not missed.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bottom line is we are not a very good football team. We still have way too many holes. Our offensive line just plain sucks at pass protection. Licht, Monty and Chester are weak. They get blown back with regularity, allowing the pocket to collapse from the center in. RG3 is very inexperienced with hot reads and finding the second and third targets (when he has time). He also still doesn't know when and where to throw the ball away.

On defense, our front 7 is not as strong as we all thought. We get no real pressure on the QB by just rushing 4 or even 5. Orakpo is our clean up hitter as our R OLB. We need HRs from him and he just hasn't produced consistently this year. It may be scheme, it may be him. But we are not getting the production from that position we need. This crap that he gets held or that he makes the others better is just that, crap. Its and excuse. Who is shining because Orakpo is playing this year??? Fletcher is an absolute liability at this point. He has finally lost a step (if not more). He can't cover and he is slow the fill the gaps. I actually am not as down on our secondary as others. I've seen real improvement since the first game. They are tackling and covering much better. The issue with our secondary can be greatly helped by pressure on the QB, especially a QB like the ones we played last night. Young and known to make mistakes under pressure.

Our STs are the worst in the league, hands down. Rocca, WTF???? Are you telling me that he is the best punter we can find? How many shanked punts do we allow before we bring someone else in? Also, its telling when our best return man is a TE. Seriously, that's the best we can do? At least Paul is decisive and runs north/south. But he will never make the big return.

Finally, our coaches.....what is there to say? 4 years in and we still make the same mistakes. Clock management is atrocious. Kyle tries to outsmart everybody when sometimes you just punch them in the mouth until they submit. Once again, we had a 10 point lead coming into the second half and Morris only had 9 touches. Our coaches do no adjustments at half time. The other teams come out with a modified strategy. Minn last night started bringing the heat on us every time RG3 dropped back. We never adjusted. WTF??? You screen them to death, you run draws, you do a lot of 3 steps passes if you do pass. We did none of these. We kept calling 7 step drops. Brilliant.

I don't know where we go from here. DO we give the Shanahan's one more year or do we recognize that they make the same simple mistakes (clock management, run abandonment, etc) over and over and decide that they will never change? Mike S has done some really good things with this franchise, I'm just not sure he and his staff can take us to the next level. He has had 4 years and we haven't really improved. Last year was an apparent anomaly. We are a 5-7 win team. We have way too much talent to not be doing better.

Something has to change.
I said that in July after three months of RG3 walks on water and was toasted for it.

Just like I said in July the defenses' will trade off hits on the QB when he carries out that read option fake.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody claiming that officiating had nothing to do with this game...go back and watch it. I understand that holding occurs on every play. That being said, every time it happens in space, near the ball, and the defensive players body it turned, it is not missed.

Anytime it happens on the goal line, blatantly, with seconds to go in the game, it is not missed.

GK, its not that calls were missed. They were. But we should have never been in that position to let a bad call lose the game for us. The missed call didn't lose that game. We lost it way before when we let a very poor team back in the game.