• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hossa's boarding call?

Larry N

Flyers fan for life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm a neutral, so I have no rooting interest in this. But can someone explain to me how Hossa doesn't get a game misconduct on top of the five minutes for boarding Hamhuis? That's practically the same play that got OV the gate earlier this seaon when he hit Campbell.

Anyone with an explanation/thought?

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think its up to the ref although very similar plays. i do not think hossa pushed him as much as ovechkin pushed campbell though. the thing i do not like is that they let the results of the hit get in the way of their call. so if a player skates away un injured then the player can go back on the ice later in the game without thinking he did anything wrong except take a penalty.

the smallest hit could end in a horrible injury and the dirtiest hit could end in no injuries. injuries should not effect the call. and hamhuis got injured anyway so i do not know what the ref was thinking. if i were a preds fan i would not be happy.

Larry N

Flyers fan for life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i think its up to the ref...

I was thinking there was some sorrt of discretion invoved as far as whether or not to give the game misconduct.

Then it occurred to me that the refs may have figured the game was over at that point and they didn't think whether or not they gave a game would make a difference. I hope that's not the case. But I can't think of another plausible reason. If you give Hossa five instead of two, then he should get a game misconduct on top of it.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i agree although i do not think they did not give him a game misconduct because they thought the game was over. i have seen misconducts called in the final seconds of games.

Larry N

Flyers fan for life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You're probably right, Scott. In all likelihhod the officials weren't thinking that way. I'm just puzzled is all, and I guess I'm reaching for straws.

If I were Trotz, I'd sure as heck keep asking the question until someone gave a good answer.

BostonAJ

They fucking won?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's the video. Looks just like Ovie's hit to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

beantownmaniac

I thought growing old would take longer
Hoopla Cash
$ 304.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be surprised to see Hossa get suspended for a game.

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That hit is no different than the hit Blake did to Mueller, different position but same result, it was a penalty but I don't know about suspension worthy. The game is faster than what a video tape can show us.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Judging from what I've seen, OV might have used a tad bit more force than Hossa. I don't think either Hossa or Ovechkin were trying to hurt anyone, but if AO gets a suspension for that hit, Hossa had better. They are basically mirror images.