• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hoke needs to go.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive liked Hoke from the start, I think he's classy and he's done a good job recruiting. That being said he's not a top tier coach in my opinion. Today he made a colossal mistake in not kicking a field goal in the 3rd quarter, then he goes for 2 instead of tying the game when Michigan had all the momentum. Furthermore the way the team played today showed they have the talent to play a whole lot better than they did in losses to PSU, MSU and Iowa, and wins vs Akron, Uconn and NW, but werent ready to play and seemed to have bad gameplans. Some say that because Gibbons was out, not kicking in the 3rd was the right decision. But wouldnt not having a backup kicker that can make a 31 yarder be a recruiting mistake after this many years at the helm?

Good guy but not the right guy. They need to go get Les Miles to compete with dirty Urby or this thing is going to get ugly.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive liked Hoke from the start, I think he's classy and he's done a good job recruiting. That being said he's not a top tier coach in my opinion. Today he made a colossal mistake in not kicking a field goal in the 3rd quarter, then he goes for 2 instead of tying the game when Michigan had all the momentum. Furthermore the way the team played today showed they have the talent to play a whole lot better than they did in losses to PSU, MSU and Iowa, and wins vs Akron, Uconn and NW, but werent ready to play and seemed to have bad gameplans. Some say that because Gibbons was out, not kicking in the 3rd was the right decision. But wouldnt not having a backup kicker that can make a 31 yarder be a recruiting mistake after this many years at the helm?

Good guy but not the right guy. They need to go get Les Miles to compete with dirty Urby or this thing is going to get ugly.

No, very wrong opinion. Did you happen to miss the part where our field goal kicker MISSED that field goal that you wanted Hoke to kick? Or the part where our starting field goal kicker was out with an injury and Wile is known for his inconsistency? It was the smarter move going for it. Now, the play calls on the other hand left something to be desired.

You simply can't fire Hoke right now. He still has time to prove he can win and yesterday was a big step in the right direction. He went toe to toe with one of the best teams in the country and we probably should have won the game. I know that isn't enough for some fans, and we all want to win, but you just have to give it time. Borges needs to go, and a lot of those play calls were horrid (not to mention the fact -- where has this offensive play calling been all year?) but Hoke needs to be safe for at least another year.

If that 2 point conversion works, you'd be on here singing his praise today. I think that OSU performance alone gives Hoke another year. I'd even go out on a limb and say he out-coached Urban yesterday with less talent and depth and almost came away with a win. I'm not sure how you come out of that saying Hoke is a bad coach.

I'm excited to see what happens in the bowl game.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The last thing that I wanted was to see our backup field goal kicker trotting out. Wile is awful. With the fact that Devin Gardner was hobbled, the fact that our D was being trampled, I don't know how anyone disagrees with going for the win. I know it's cliche now but you do actually play to win the game. I don't think we win in OT. Our best chance was to get the win or just get out of there. If we go to OT, maybe Morris is our QB in the bowl game. Maybe Gardner comes back all RGIII like next season. He was in bad shape and I can't blame Hoke at all for just trying to win and get out of there.

As far as firing him, I agree that he hasn't gotten the job done on the field at this point but he had an entire roster to get changed into his type of players and this next class will make the team all of his recruits outside of some redshirt/RR last recruiting class leftovers (hell, our QB is an RR recruit). If he has an entire group of his players and still can't muster up a good season then I'll be calling for his head along with you. But not yet.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He kicked the extra points just fine...it was only 12 yards farther than an extra point. It was a stupid desperate move and it cost us the game.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He kicked the extra points just fine...it was only 12 yards farther than an extra point. It was a stupid desperate move and it cost us the game.

Us? Were you playing? Michigan couldn't stop OSU and likely wouldn't have stood a chance in OT.

Who is DB going to get to replace Hoke? Unless Michigan opens it wallet to TRY and attract a top tier coach, any replacement just for the sake of change would be crazy. Have you not seen what has happened in South Bend the last 25 years? I hate the style of play that Hoke is trying to implement and think it is outdated but to try and change direction again is suicide.

Chief602

Resident Wookie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ed, had he not changed his mind to go for the first down he wouldn't have called the TO and Wile's miss would still have been a miss!!! In OT we had virtually no chance to win. If we want to throw a what if out there, what if the moron in the replay booth isn't slugging a fifth of Jack during the game??? Maybe the stupid mother fucker realizes Devin's knees both hit the ground while he still possessed the ball. They pin them deep there and get a stop we have a whole different outcome. I can see irritation with play calling all year and this game should piss us off more about the games against Iowa, Nebraska and even the queer skirt wearing pricks in Lansing. But there is no finding fault in the decision to go for the 2. I'd rather seen a play involving Butt or Funchess up high, but oh well, they went for the win. I had posted on FB to score and go for 2 when the last drive started. This game did nothing but give me hope for the bowl game and more importantly next season. GO BLUE!!!!!!!!

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Us? Were you playing? Michigan couldn't stop OSU and likely wouldn't have stood a chance in OT.

Who is DB going to get to replace Hoke? Unless Michigan opens it wallet to TRY and attract a top tier coach, any replacement just for the sake of change would be crazy. Have you not seen what has happened in South Bend the last 25 years? I hate the style of play that Hoke is trying to implement and think it is outdated but to try and change direction again is suicide.

Again you assume Michigan isn't/wasn't willing to open the wallet, and thought Hoke was the right guy, regardless of salary.

And that "outdated" style is what Saban used to win three national titles. Doesn't seem so suicidal for Alabama.

Last edited by a moderator:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again you assume Michigan isn't/wasn't willing to open the wallet, and thought Hoke was the right guy, regardless of salary.

And that "outdated" style is what Saban used to win three national titles. Doesn't seem so suicidal for Alabama.

Dude, you are tedious and your posts lack clarity or substance. Not to mention wrong.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, you are tedious and your posts lack clarity or substance. Not to mention wrong.

Then maybe you should make a counter argument besides "you're wrong"

Because seriously, with all the money the athletic department has recently been rolling out on facility upgrades you think they are skittish about spending money on a coach? The reason they didn't hire Harbaugh because he was going to the NFL, and Miles isn't leaving LSU (besides, I will take Hoke over Miles any day of the week). Money was not a factor.

And what is the general gameplan for Saban at Alabama? A dominate defense paired with a pounding offense built around the power run game and play-action.............the same thing Hoke is building at Michigan.

Again I ask, how am I wrong?

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then maybe you should make a counter argument besides "you're wrong"

Blah, blah, blah............

Let me make myself more clear. You are not worth the time of day. Please quit stalking and trolling my posts.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me make myself more clear. You are not worth the time of day. Please quit stalking and trolling my posts.

So in other words, you do not have a substantive counter argument and are resorting to name calling. That's not very Michigan Man-esque of you.

Let's go back to your ascertain that Michigan needs to "open the wallet," did you know that Brady Hoke is the 8th highest paid coach? If Michigan was against paying top dollar one would expect the salary wouldn't be in the top 25, let alone the top 10.

As for for "stalking" or "trolling" your posts: Like you I am a Michigan fan who frequents this board to talk Michigan football. And I think your comments are wrong and deserve a response, caveat emptor. And unlike you I provide a substantive response as to why I think you are wrong.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extra points are not field goals and have a MUCH higher success rate than field goals for a reason -- they're much easier to complete.

The simple fact is, the longer we let that game go the less chances we had to win it. OSU was the better team, the end. We had a chance to beat the better team and we rightfully took it. We would have had little chance in OT IMO. We couldn't stop their offense and our offense, while it did well, was having far more issues all around than theirs - especially in the run game. And with Gardner hurt and our back up field goal kicker in, it made all the sense in the world to go for two.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama, LSU and USC have all executed "manball" to near perfection at times, namely in 6 of the last 10 NCGs. It's worked for Saban, Miles and Carroll. Hoke is clearly not a football guru, however, he is an honorable and very well liked coach (most importantly by his players) who happens to be reeling in increasingly better recruiting classes since 2011. Is Hoke a little soft and unsure at times during the game? Yes, there's no doubt. When Hoke needed to make a statement, more so than ever, the team showed a lot of grit and Hoke showed some moxie. The team lost but played balls-to-the-wall against a slightly, superior opponent.

Because Hoke can recruit top 10 classes and has shown, at times, he can prepare his players for big games, I believe he should be granted a 4th year to see what a little experience has provided for the youth on this team. If Hoke proves he can develop the talent that he himself recruited by winning the games he should next season decisively, competing to the very end against favored opponents, and at the very least keeping the team close to a B1G title shot, then I will believe he earned his paycheck in 2014.

There are a few ways to measure a coach; by wins and how those wins were achieved, are two methods (arguably the two most important). One can also look at the integrity of the program and the direction it is heading. Michigan football definitely underachieved this season. Hoke, the coaching staff, and inexperience were the 3 largest factors. Hoke should be the fixed variable (while yes, there will still be some inexperience) heading into the 2014 season. The changes should take place at OC, and a number of positional coaching spots. This off-season we'll see how well Hoke executes.

Last edited by a moderator:

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama, LSU and USC have all executed "manball" to near perfection at times, namely in 6 of the last 10 NCGs. It's worked for Saban, Miles and Carroll. Hoke is clearly not a football guru, however, he is an honorable and very well liked coach (most importantly by his players) who happens to be reeling in increasingly better recruiting classes since 2011. Is Hoke a little soft and unsure at times during the game? Yes, there's no doubt. When Hoke needed to make a statement, more so than ever, the team showed a lot of grit and Hoke showed some moxie. The team lost but played balls-to-the-wall against a slightly, superior opponent.

Because Hoke can recruit top 10 classes and has shown, at times, he can prepare his players for big games, I believe he should be granted a 4th year to see what a little experience has provided for the youth on this team. If Hoke proves he can develop the talent that he himself recruited by winning the games he should next season decisively, competing to the very end against favored opponents, and at the very least keeping the team close to a B1G title shot, then I will believe he earned his paycheck in 2014.

There are a few ways to measure a coach; by wins and how those wins were achieved, are two methods (arguably the two most important). One can also look at the integrity of the program and the direction it is heading. Michigan football definitely underachieved this season. Hoke, the coaching staff, and inexperience were the 3 largest factors. Hoke should be the fixed variable (while yes, there will still be some inexperience) heading into the 2014 season. The changes should take place at OC, and a number of positional coaching spots. This off-season we'll see how well Hoke executes.

:agree:

Completely agree, and I would even add that while Hoke may not be a "football guru" today, that doesn't mean he won't develop into one. Just like after a few years off experience a 3-star recruit can develop into an All-American, a small time coach can grow into one of the best.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aaaaaaand it gets worse. Hoke sucks. Gardner is awful. We still can't kick a fucking field goal. Getting embarrassed by Notre Dame.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep see ya when your team regrows their balls. :suds: Looks like no time in the next 8 years. :pound:

Weak. The series was ending anyway. Love the way we went out. Dominated scUM