• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

History Comp - Nolan Ryan or Steve Carlton

Express or Lefty?

• Nolan Ryan

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Steve Carlton

Votes: 16 72.7%

• Total voters

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was posted earlier in the thread that the second time was against Oakland?

Oh, or are you just talking about the second time you saw him get beaned, not the follow-up beaning that put him out?

Seems to be a widely held consensus that the Ryan plunking did the damage that shortened his career. I'm not sure his bat ever would have improved enough for him to have a long MLB career.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2nd time must have been in a game started by Ryan.

The time Ryan did bean him he was unconscious for 10-15 minutes during which play was stopped and players from both teams had to be had to be told to stay out of the medical staff's way. Griffin was still out cold when carried off the field on a stretcher.

Nope, the game where Ryan hit him was the only time he was beaned when Ryan's team was the opposition, let alone when Ryan started.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised it's so close. I remember nearly all of both's entire careers and would have guessed Lefty by a pretty good margin.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised it's so close. I remember nearly all of both's entire careers and would have guessed Lefty by a pretty good margin.

I think it has something to do with Lefty's lack of press (literally) both during his career and after. Anybody that followed the career of either would take Carlton over Ryan, be it for a game or a year.