• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Help me square this circle

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLB is totally pushing for more offense: almost added a DH to the NL, juiced the ball, considering banning the shift). This is not really in question.

But what's the other thing MLB is obsessed with...oh right, making the games shorter

Um, Rob buddy? More runs makes games longer. Want a quick 2 hour game? How about a 2-0 Mark Buehrle shutout?

More scoring, shorter games. Pick ONE.

haven't read thread. but apparently, MLB is considering a 3 batter minimum for pitchers.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it were up to me, the DH never would have existed. I say that as a 35 year long fan of an AL team. The DH came out as an experiment that should have just gone away and that the AL has used to it's advantage overall.
However, the DH is quite useful in the minor leagues with fewer bench options and fewer relievers available, esp. teams who have their prospects on pitch counts. So at some point, pitchers who never hit in pro ball suddenly come to the bigs and are expected to hit or bunt pitching that far exceeds anything they (didn't) see in their pro development years.
To avoid this, MLB needs to stock its farm teams better.
If you watch any Midwest League games, there isn't much going on that compares to big-league ball.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, the DH is quite useful in the minor leagues with fewer bench options and fewer relievers available, esp. teams who have their prospects on pitch counts. So at some point, pitchers who never hit in pro ball suddenly come to the bigs and are expected to hit or bunt pitching that far exceeds anything they (didn't) see in their pro development years.
To avoid this, MLB needs to stock its farm teams better.
If you watch any Midwest League games, there isn't much going on that compares to big-league ball.
I am totally OK with the DH in minor league and exhibition games. The strategy aspect of those games are slim to none.

I acknowledge that that causes the problem of pitchers getting to the bigs with next to zero batting experience. And that is a legit problem. But that, to me, offers an opportunity for a competitive advantage. The Giants, in 2014, had 9 HRs from their pitchers. Every SP had at least 1. That’s an advantage. In 2016, the Cubs pitchers DESTROYED the Giants with the bat in the NLDS. That’s an advantage.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am totally OK with the DH in minor league and exhibition games. The strategy aspect of those games are slim to none.

I acknowledge that that causes the problem of pitchers getting to the bigs with next to zero batting experience. And that is a legit problem. But that, to me, offers an opportunity for a competitive advantage. The Giants, in 2014, had 9 HRs from their pitchers. Every SP had at least 1. That’s an advantage. In 2016, the Cubs pitchers DESTROYED the Giants with the bat in the NLDS. That’s an advantage.

I really don't get the logic behind fans not wanting the DH... do they realize that just because there is a DH that doesn't stop teams from playing small ball??

and all these strategies that are added by the pitcher hitting is pretty obvious game time decision... so much harder to manage rotations and bullpens in the AL... since there is no obvious time to take them out...

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't get the logic behind fans not wanting the DH... do they realize that just because there is a DH that doesn't stop teams from playing small ball??

and all these strategies that are added by the pitcher hitting is pretty obvious game time decision... so much harder to manage rotations and bullpens in the AL... since there is no obvious time to take them out...
Small ball has been unfortunately cast as another version of the dead ball era when teams had 4 HR for the season, all of them under some drunken OF's glove into the 550-foot gap. That is not small ball. That is Ty Cobb ball.

A successful team has a blend of hitters, not a lineup of 8 guys with the same skill set (see Royals, KC). You can score 7 runs a game playing 'small ball' if you play real baseball. If every guy in your lineup has the same skill set, you will lose every series. You just will.

Yeah, we all remember the day Ken Holtzman's only AB of the season was a double down the line in the W.S.

Cincy had some amazing pitcher moments at the plate last summer so memories of that would be hard to replace. But Sal Romano, a 6-4 guy weighing 250, is actually afraid to step into the box.

Either way, all teams should use the same game because interleague is murdering the NL, and they seem to be saying, 'please sir, may I have another?'!

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4500 abs with a sub 300 ops

Them hitting is murdering the game

There is zero strategy to the AL game. None.

It's something that you should have to adjust to. And if pitchers were hitting since they were kids, through the minors and into the majors, the pitchers would be better at it.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is zero strategy to the AL game. None.

It's something that you should have to adjust to. And if pitchers were hitting since they were kids, through the minors and into the majors, the pitchers would be better at it.

Almost all of them hit until at worst college, some the minors. They still suck.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost all of them hit until at worst college, some the minors. They still suck.

There are DHs in every league now except for the NL. It's a sickness. There would be more two way players if the legit athletes were taught how to do it.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are DHs in every league now except for the NL. It's a sickness. There would be more two way players if the legit athletes were taught how to do it.

no there wouldn't.

it's almost impossible to get to the bigs for one side, forget being MLB worthy for both.

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it were up to me, the DH never would have existed. I say that as a 35 year long fan of an AL team. The DH came out as an experiment that should have just gone away and that the AL has used to it's advantage overall.

I second that motion!

tomcat1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I finally hear a lot more people complaining about the busload of players who comes up on Sept. 1, so I think this roster limitation has some merit. It's not like these guys are getting any real audition time anyhow.

I agree!