• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Heath Bell

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow

He just did an interview on a local morning show here and he said he plans on playing 3 years in Florida, but hopes to come back to the Pads to end his career.

He is a Marlin now. How can he say that? Remember how pissed we were when RoRo simply said he was a Bears fan? How will Marlin fans (all 10 of them) react to a statement like that?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow

He just did an interview on a local morning show here and he said he plans on playing 3 years in Florida, but hopes to come back to the Pads to end his career.

He is a Marlin now. How can he say that? Remember how pissed we were when RoRo simply said he was a Bears fan? How will Marlin fans (all 10 of them) react to a statement like that?

Maybe that one of the 10 who posted here yesterday about Hanley Ramirez will tell us.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow

I'm sure all 10 Padre fans will be excited about Heath's loyalty.

;)

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really not a good move for Heath.

side note, i'm glad he's out of the division. it was getting hard to hate him. he seems like a really cool dude.

I cAnT wAtCh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't mind it.

The Padres were the team that gave him the chance to get this deal, and he seems like a loyal guy.

He also seemed pretty excited to be wearing a Marlins uniform yesterday.

As long as he finishes games out in the 9th for the next three years, he can do whatever he wants, as far as I'm concerned.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ICW, do you expect a nice year or two run followed by a fire sale as the new ballpark has little chance of being full on a regular basis? Or are you more optimistic?

I think major league baseball in Miami is a horrible idea, even laying aside the terrible new unis.

I cAnT wAtCh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think there are more reasons to be more optimistic because of a new stadium, but I honestly don't know.

I don't know anything really.

I never expected the Marlins to give a closer 9 million like they did with Heath Bell. I kinda just expected Reyes, maybe a SP.

They're going all in, and I don't even know where all this money is coming from. Revenue from the new stadium, yes, but if we sign Pujols, that's 350+ million committed to free agents this offseason.

Since I don't know Loria's plans on spending, I literally have no idea.

I know we also have a great player in RF who'll be getting a good chunk of money one day, as well.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I believe his family still lives in SD.

They do. He is friends with the host, so it was more like two buds chatting than a gotcha interview.

Bell is a good guy (by all accounts that I have heard). My point was more that it was not a great comment.

Saying that you have a strong affiliation with a club you do not currently play for is bad form. Franchez made a similar comment on George Lopez after they won the ring (that he is a Doggie fan) and he will never be one of my faces now because if that.

It is a natural, human comment. But fans have a weird way of reacting to those types of things.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do. He is friends with the host, so it was more like two buds chatting than a gotcha interview.

Bell is a good guy (by all accounts that I have heard). My point was more that it was not a great comment.

Saying that you have a strong affiliation with a club you do not currently play for is bad form. Franchez made a similar comment on George Lopez after they won the ring (that he is a Doggie fan) and he will never be one of my faces now because if that.

It is a natural, human comment. But fans have a weird way of reacting to those types of things.

I always knew you were two faced.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there are more reasons to be more optimistic because of a new stadium, but I honestly don't know.

I don't know anything really.

I never expected the Marlins to give a closer 9 million like they did with Heath Bell. I kinda just expected Reyes, maybe a SP.

They're going all in, and I don't even know where all this money is coming from. Revenue from the new stadium, yes, but if we sign Pujols, that's 350+ million committed to free agents this offseason.

Since I don't know Loria's plans on spending, I literally have no idea.

I know we also have a great player in RF who'll be getting a good chunk of money one day, as well.

That money is coming from the redistribution funds Loria has been hoarding for years. I'm not claiming any inside knowledge either, but here's how I see it playing out:

The Fish are competitive in 12 and draw 2.5MM people. Playoffs, money, general good baseball feeling in Little Havana. Payroll $100MM plus.

The Fish are competitive in 13 and draw less than 2 million because traffic is a nightmare and the novelty has worn off. Maybe playoff/maybe sellers at the deadline. Almost $70MM dedicated to five players (Reyes, HanRam, Johnson, Nolasco, Bell) or almost $100MM dedicated to six players if Pooh-holes is signed. Payroll $110-120MM and Loria for the first time in his life starts losing money. Fire sale at end of season if not at trading deadline.

by 2014, the Marlins become known again as a "scrappy young team with lots of prospects" from dealing Reyes, HanRam, Johnson, Nolasco, Bell and maybe Pooh. Stanton still on the team as he's cost controlled.

Bottom line: Loria is a bullying little punk who cried poor for years while pocketing millions. He extorted Miami into building him a new stadium with money it doesn't have (hello, Santa Clara, btw) and is now posing as the "cool owner who is spending money." None of the contracts he gives out this year will come with no-trade clauses b/c he knows he's likely going to need to sell off players as Miami hasn't ever and likely won't ever support major league baseball in any meaningful way and he'll need to preserve his bailout option when attendance falls.

And now he's under investigation by the SEC for being the lying sack of shit that he is.

Not that I have an opinion on the guy or anything....

I cAnT wAtCh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That money is coming from the redistribution funds Loria has been hoarding for years. I'm not claiming any inside knowledge either, but here's how I see it playing out:

The Fish are competitive in 12 and draw 2.5MM people. Playoffs, money, general good baseball feeling in Little Havana. Payroll $100MM plus.

The Fish are competitive in 13 and draw less than 2 million because traffic is a nightmare and the novelty has worn off. Maybe playoff/maybe sellers at the deadline. Almost $70MM dedicated to five players (Reyes, HanRam, Johnson, Nolasco, Bell) or almost $100MM dedicated to six players if Pooh-holes is signed. Payroll $110-120MM and Loria for the first time in his life starts losing money. Fire sale at end of season if not at trading deadline.

by 2014, the Marlins become known again as a "scrappy young team with lots of prospects" from dealing Reyes, HanRam, Johnson, Nolasco, Bell and maybe Pooh. Stanton still on the team as he's cost controlled.

Bottom line: Loria is a bullying little punk who cried poor for years while pocketing millions. He extorted Miami into building him a new stadium with money it doesn't have (hello, Santa Clara, btw) and is now posing as the "cool owner who is spending money." None of the contracts he gives out this year will come with no-trade clauses b/c he knows he's likely going to need to sell off players as Miami hasn't ever and likely won't ever support major league baseball in any meaningful way and he'll need to preserve his bailout option when attendance falls.

And now he's under investigation by the SEC for being the lying sack of shit that he is.

Not that I have an opinion on the guy or anything....

If that's the plan, it's going to backfire on them.

The Reyes contract is a contract that not many teams can afford while giving up assets.

The Pujols contract is basically untradeable.

When you sign a free agent like this, the best value you're going to get from him is from having him play on your own team.