• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hard to keep up the hate.

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Been a boycotter of ALL things Pirates for many years now. I said it would continue until the Nuttings no longer own the team...

...... but man these kids are making it hard to keep that oath.

Over-achieving young punks... nice work, boys. First place in mid-July? Are you kidding me?:thrasher:

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a brave fan, I think about the Marlins vs the Braves history over the past 15 or so years.. Braves are constantly good but only won the W.S in 1995. The Marlins are constantly bad but have 2 championships. Which is better?

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That is a very good question. But as a Pirate fan, I can honestly say we are jealous of either option.

Marlins are more painful to talk about here, as they are very similar to the Pirates over the last two decades EXCEPT FOR THE WORLD SERIES WINS...Braves are a much better run organization in the same time period.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps the Nuttings were actually a saving grace. It seems like the events that began constructing this team were set in motion when they took over ownership. Of course, having a competent general manager is helping...

DeathByEmu

Large Flightless Bird
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i'll agree with the latter, but the Nuttings have been simply pocketing $$ and ignoring the fanbase for far too long to get any credit from me.

I get the team is an investment for them, a sure-fire 20 million into their bank account every year. But when the 'investors' (fans) get screwed and neglected in the process... sorry. The Nuttings were content to sit on their Yankee/Sox funded luxury tax payday while people like Mark Cuban, Mario Lemieux, and others offered to buy the team AND pay to bring in some talent for it...

Hey.. thanks Dark.. haha.. you reminded me why I was a hater in the first place!!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Nuttings' books were leaked by an inside source, and it was confirmed that every penny of profit they've turned since taking over has gone right back into the team. Kevin McClatchy, on the other hand, was completely incompetent as an owner.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of us never went away. Honestly it is easier to stay a fan if you were around for the early 90's. Even though the 80's were a very bad time to remember baseball in Pittsburgh. At least this stretch there is a good baseball Park to watch them in and not the cement nightmare of Three Rivers.

As for the ownership the Nuttings will always get a bad rap due to McClatchy (minority owner under McClatchy) and really hasn't done great PR since becoming the Principle owner. They have spent money recently on the draft but what I cringe at is the whole philosphy to spend money just to spend it. It will never work in Pittsburgh and there has been too much waisted over the last decade on marginal major league talent.

Unfortunately this year they are at a fine line do they go after higher price talent to try to help them win or keep the rebuilding the minor league depth with the hope to get more major league talent prospects? My concern is this year is a fluke I don't see how this 5 man rotation can hold up and if some of that depth is gone what will they need to do next year. Then on the other hand if they do continue to win this year they will need to do the same next year (maybe by bringing in major league talent) to keep the fans coming because they have a short leash on the one's that are coming back.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a brave fan, I think about the Marlins vs the Braves history over the past 15 or so years.. Braves are constantly good but only won the W.S in 1995. The Marlins are constantly bad but have 2 championships. Which is better?

Hard to say but 2 W.S. is better than 1. At least every year you know as a Brave fan your team has a chance.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some of us never went away. Honestly it is easier to stay a fan if you were around for the early 90's. Even though the 80's were a very bad time to remember baseball in Pittsburgh. At least this stretch there is a good baseball Park to watch them in and not the cement nightmare of Three Rivers.

As for the ownership the Nuttings will always get a bad rap due to McClatchy (minority owner under McClatchy) and really hasn't done great PR since becoming the Principle owner. They have spent money recently on the draft but what I cringe at is the whole philosphy to spend money just to spend it. It will never work in Pittsburgh and there has been too much waisted over the last decade on marginal major league talent.

Unfortunately this year they are at a fine line do they go after higher price talent to try to help them win or keep the rebuilding the minor league depth with the hope to get more major league talent prospects? My concern is this year is a fluke I don't see how this 5 man rotation can hold up and if some of that depth is gone what will they need to do next year. Then on the other hand if they do continue to win this year they will need to do the same next year (maybe by bringing in major league talent) to keep the fans coming because they have a short leash on the one's that are coming back.

If guys come cheap, go for them. I say just use excess prospects they know they can't protect from the Rule 5 draft to acquire a marginal upgrade a team might want to get rid of for money purposes, like Pena for example. I wouldn't do much more than that. I think Pena's a good fit because we lose nothing defensively and we get an immediate offensive upgrade. Of course, Alvarez's return, if he hits, could be just as big of a boost, and I think when Tabata and Presley get back, things should look pretty good. That's a lot of speed. And Doumit should provide a little more pop.

If we do acquire Pena for cash and C prospects we can't protect, we might even want to platoon him with Pearce at first, since they're both really strong defensively, but Pearce can't hit righties and Pena can't hit lefties. Overbay should just be dropped. Jones and Diaz can both be valuable bench bats. Wood is a valuable utility man.

I think once this team gets healthy and with one minor move like acquiring Pena, the offense will be good enough. I also think Ohlendorf and Lincoln could provide a little exta SP depth if needed, and one of them could also help out as a relief pitcher. I think that's ultimately Ohlendorf's fate anyway.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Pena is the best fit with all the names being thrown around from Pence, Beltran to Wigginton and Giambi.
The whole Rule 5 thing is a gamble either way because if they do get picked up and the new team doesn't keep they can become Pirate property again.
Honestly I think they do need to start moving some of the stock piled arms (B-/C level) in the minors while they are still considered prospects and before the flame out occurs.

MA5TER5HAKE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Nuttings' books were leaked by an inside source, and it was confirmed that every penny of profit they've turned since taking over has gone right back into the team. Kevin McClatchy, on the other hand, was completely incompetent as an owner.

I'm glad someone else gets it. All this venom spewed at Nutting should be directed at McClatchy. Anytime a poorly ran business is taken over there's cuts immediately and things are reorganized. Nutting wasn't the one who nearly ran this team into bankruptcy and gave Ramierez away for nothing.