• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh and Roman have broken the cardinal rule of coaching

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The job of a coach is to put your players in a position to excel. If you can get everyone in positions to excel the team will win.

This pick up truck of a offense does not fit Kaepernick's Ferrari let it loose style of quarterbacking. The 49ers made a mistake by not bringing in Kap's former HC at Nevada to mentor Kap and be the new OC. Kap excelled in that offense and that is what he should be running right now.

Harbaugh likes the grind it out running game, drop back pocket QB but his QB is confused by it. All the off season talk about other teams coming after Kap has made the 49ers ultra conservative.

Until Harbaugh and Roman design a offense around their QB instead of against him and keep him in a cage the growing pains will hurt. The ability not to adjust to Kap's style is hurting the team.

Never break the cardinal rule. Time to open it up and let the Ferrari out of the garage.

:car::drum::thrasher:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The job of a coach is to put your players in a position to excel. If you can get everyone in positions to excel the team will win.

This pick up truck of a offense does not fit Kaepernick's Ferrari let it loose style of quarterbacking. The 49ers made a mistake by not bringing in Kap's former HC at Nevada to mentor Kap and be the new OC. Kap excelled in that offense and that is what he should be running right now.

Harbaugh likes the grind it out running game, drop back pocket QB but his QB is confused by it. All the off season talk about other teams coming after Kap has made the 49ers ultra conservative.

Until Harbaugh and Roman design a offense around their QB instead of against him and keep him in a cage the growing pains will hurt. The ability not to adjust to Kap's style is hurting the team.

Never break the cardinal rule. Time to open it up and let the Ferrari out of the garage.

I think to an extent you have a point. I've always thought the best coaches adapted their coaching style to the players they have not the other way around. Its tough to fit square pegs in round holes sometimes.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they tried that to start the year and it didn't work. They have the personnel for a run first hard nose football style. They don't have the guys to be a run and gun type offense. They need to get different players. They do need to adapt to the players we have on the field though and I don't think they are doing that.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

the general concept is correct, but you need more than one Ferrari. you can't have one Ferrari and 10 pick up trucks?

so we should run something like the pistol offense of Nevada? with Kaep running 'half' the time? that'll only be effective if the passing part is effective. why would the passing part be effective from the Pistol, over what we're doing now?

btw - its no secret Kaep isn't processing like a Farrari.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree Roman has been bad. I don't have confidence in him as a OC. If he hasn't adjusted yet he never will.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
to me the play calling hasn't been THAT bad? if defenses stack the very middle of the line, you have to go wider? but our linemen are good but not pulling good?

if defenses jump your short routes, then you have to go long. but we don't have receivers with 'long' speed, or protection that can hold, or a QB who doesn't throw someone open?

the way the last two defenses have been playing us, we should've attacked them vertically. can we?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i've been saying for a couple years roman was the problem. but ppl said it was alex smith...

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that Kaep is not playing well right now. I agree that OC needs to do a better job of putting players into a position to make a play by designing plays to get guys out in space. But the read option or pistol would not make Kaep a better QB. In the NFL you have to play the QB position through the air, not on your feet. Say they go to the pistol, things might get better for a short time but then defenses, like they always do, figure it out and minimize it.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I've noticed something funny in this criticism of Roman of late. Last year we had a QB who a lot of people were convinced was not good, but was performing well because of some amazing gameplanning by the coaches. Now we have a QB lots of people are convinced is good but playing poorly, because he's being held back by incompetent coaches.

Is it possible that Roman didn't change, but maybe your evaluation of the QB is off? Kap has all the tools, and has played awesome in the past, but is just not good right now, and is not thinking the game well at all. The coaching staff is trying to work around this problem with the basic gameplans, and has to constantly shift the formations pre-snap to help give Kap some idea of the coverage. Roman is doing the best he can with the tools he has.

Given Smith's performance pre-and-post-/Harbaugh/Roman vs. what he did here, I think its pretty clear that these guys know what they're doing, how to use the QB and maximize talent/minimize shortcomings. Let Kap get his head back on straight and the offense will start humming again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've noticed something funny in this criticism of Roman of late. Last year we had a QB who a lot of people were convinced was not good, but was performing well because of some amazing gameplanning by the coaches. Now we have a QB lots of people are convinced is good but playing poorly, because he's being held back by incompetent coaches.

Is it possible that Roman didn't change, but maybe your evaluation of the QB is off? Kap has all the tools, and has played awesome in the past, but is just not good right now, and is not thinking the game well at all. The coaching staff is trying to work around this problem with the basic gameplans, and has to constantly shift the formations pre-snap to help give Kap some idea of the coverage. Roman is doing the best he can with the tools he has.

Given Smith's performance pre-and-post-/Harbaugh/Roman vs. what he did here, I think its pretty clear that these guys know what they're doing, how to use the QB and maximize talent/minimize shortcomings. Let Kap get his head back on straight and the offense will start humming again.

the offense was well suited for smith who's smart and has been in the league for a number of years. smith can do your calculus homework during his presnap reads and not miss a beat.

kap is in his 2nd year as a starter. the game hasn't slowed down for him and they're asking too much of him. he needs to play more and think less.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see Roman design and call some plays moving Kaep around and out of the pocket. Like on the Vernon Davis TD on Sunday. I am pretty sure they almost never call those type of plays but I think it would help Kaep's game immensely

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to see Roman design and call some plays moving Kaep around and out of the pocket. Like on the Vernon Davis TD on Sunday. I am pretty sure they almost never call those type of plays but I think it would help Kaep's game immensely

Yes.

The problem is that the 49ers are worried that Kap will get hurt. They are trying to make him a pocket passer which is not what he does best.

I am starting to wonder if the 49ers and Kap are hiding a injury. There was some talk about his feet but nothing ever came out after that.

Who knows what is up. I just want to know why they are putting the ball and chain on him.

:puzzled:

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is that the 49ers are worried that Kap will get hurt. They are trying to make him a pocket passer which is not what he does best.
I think that is something they need to stop worrying about, cause I'm not so sure Kaep is that much better than McCoy.
I'm all for trying to develop Kaep into a pocket passer by keeping him in the pocket but not at the expense of losing games. They need to start worrying more about winning games than Kaep's development.
I think that with playing time and moving him around, he would learn quicker cause it means he would have more success on the field which means he would see more snaps which means more experience. Basically trying to say, start small and work your way up. They just chucked him in the deep end and he is drowning. At least toss him some floaties, Damn!

Band of Brothers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you watch Cam Newton win that game tonight. He had some huge runs on breakdown plays that was the difference. Let Kap run !

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
The pistol offense would not work in the NFL in the long term. Kap just needs to learn to make faster decisions.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

I've been complaining about Roman but I've also said that everyone from top to bottom has been part of the problem on offense.

My gripes with Roman is that the pass play design and pass play calling has been miserable and that he's not doing a good enough job of putting guys in positions to succeed and thus not helping out a young QB in CK.

I mean just look at how the Saint's operate on offense and it's night and day compared to how we operate. Yes they have Drew Brees but most of the time he was throwing to guys that were open and a lot of that had to do with play calling and play design. And that makes a difference because we saw what happened last season to the Saints without Payton at the helm.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Niners are too in love with the power game. They need some speed and they need to use it. They have little because they do not respect it enough, and what little they have they do not use. Did they ever send Kyle Williams on a fly pattern and just throw it to him? There is not a player on the field for the niners right now who causes the D to worry about a big play, with the possible exception of VD. Not only is our passing yardage worst in league, I would bet that our attempted pass yardage is lowest too.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They just need to take the leash off of kep and things might be fine. I have heard both mention a couple times that they are holding Kap back because they don't want him to get hurt. Just let him run and throw. Stop trying to make him just a pocket passer. He is both. He can throw and he can run.