• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh 2nd best coach in 49er history

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
6 games into his inaugural season, I already have him cemented as the 2nd best coach in 49ers history.

And depending on where this goes, he could draw comparisons to Walsh someday. But that someday would be 10 years from now after a few championships so that day is a far far far ways off. :-)

recon

FLYERS
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I haven't liked a 49ers HC hire in my entire lifetime until Harbaugh. Siefert held it together, but he was no genius. Hated the Mooch hire (he wasn't good), hated the Erickson hire, was ambivolent about Nolan (I gave him a fair shot), and I hated the Sing hire. Harbaugh is my dream coach. I liked him when he was a Colt! (too young to appreciate him as a Bear).

sayheykid1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like the enthusiasm and optimism of the fans around here.

As I have said before, I am buying what he is selling but he has a lot to prove to make all time top 3.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
walsh revolutionized offensive gameplans and the number of top notch coaches that came from the niners was amazing. i really dont think harbaugh will come close to walsh's legacy.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Well Walsh is arguably one of the 4 greatest, if not THE greatest, coach(es) of all time, so it's ok if Harbaugh doesn't quite get to that level.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
seems like everyone is on cloud 9 when it comes to anythng about the niners right now. ppl need to be reeled in

grayghost668

Gun Control,,,,not likely
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
6 games into his inaugural season, I already have him cemented as the 2nd best coach in 49ers history.

And depending on where this goes, he could draw comparisons to Walsh someday. But that someday would be 10 years from now after a few championships so that day is a far far far ways off. :-)

i'M NOT SAYING HE ISN'T GOOD,CAPS,but it's a little early to be calling him #2 all time

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way, Seifert is easily the 2nd best 49ers coach. He won 2 Super Bowls, even though I'd argue that his 1st Super Bowl was still Bill Walsh's team. He deserves all the credit a Head Coach is due for the 1994 team though. With the exception of maybe 5 guys, that was no longer Walsh's 49ers.

Harbaugh needs to win at least one before he enters the discussion.

Geraint

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win a title first. If he wins a title with Alex it will be an achievement. If he wins it by next year he can go in the top 3

coffeeman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I haven't liked a 49ers HC hire in my entire lifetime until Harbaugh. Siefert held it together, but he was no genius. Hated the Mooch hire (he wasn't good), hated the Erickson hire, was ambivolent about Nolan (I gave him a fair shot), and I hated the Sing hire. Harbaugh is my dream coach. I liked him when he was a Colt! (too young to appreciate him as a Bear).

Seifert was no genius but he was the secondary coach for 3 rookies when they were able to win their first Super Bowl . He was the DC for some of the greatest defenses the 49ers have ever had. He was smart enough to let Holmgren and Mike Shanahan run the offense while he ran the team. Held it together? He did a little more then that.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like him but lets not jump the gun. How many teams in history have got off to a fast start, then fell apart? We still have plenty to prove.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Seifert was no genius but he was the secondary coach for 3 rookies when they were able to win their first Super Bowl . He was the DC for some of the greatest defenses the 49ers have ever had. He was smart enough to let Holmgren and Mike Shanahan run the offense while he ran the team. Held it together? He did a little more then that.

Exactly! Walsh handed him the keys to a finely tuned Ferrari and he was smart enough to get in on the passengers' side - not the drivers' side.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way, Seifert is easily the 2nd best 49ers coach. He won 2 Super Bowls, even though I'd argue that his 1st Super Bowl was still Bill Walsh's team. He deserves all the credit a Head Coach is due for the 1994 team though. With the exception of maybe 5 guys, that was no longer Walsh's 49ers.

Harbaugh needs to win at least one before he enters the discussion.

seiferts assistants were better coaches than he was

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

I don't know. Siefert did NOTHING in Carolina. I'm not saying he isn't one of the best DEFENSIVE coaches of the '80's & '90's, but being a HC is different. Wade Phillips, Dom Capers, etc; some guys are amazing coordinators (Norv Turner), but not really amazing HCs.

Like you said he had Holmgren & Shannahan to run the offense. And he had the single greatest team ever assembled handed to him. Heck, even Barry Switzer held together a legendary team. I think Siefert was a very good HC, but I don't think he's a genius who can build a winner from nothing like Belichick, Holmgren, etc. See his Carolina stint.

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
His Carolina stint? He took over a 4-12 club and made them respectable. Yes, it ended on a 1-15 season, but he'd lost Steve Beuerlein for the year and had to start rookie Chris Weinke. It was primarily his team that made the Super Bowl in 2003. Not saying it was a highlight on his career. It was a blemish, easily. But not that bad of one.

Here's the rankings on 49er coaches:

1. Bill Walsh
2. Buck Shaw - 1st coach who helped prove the AAFC was the more talented league. Also won a championship with Philly
3. George Seifert - winningest coach in team history. Won 2 super bowls. Made NFC championship game 5 times.
4. Jim Harbaugh - only six games, but pulled team out of worst run in team history.
5. Red Hickey - invented the shotgun formation.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Exactly! Walsh handed him the keys to a finely tuned Ferrari and he was smart enough to get in on the passengers' side - not the drivers' side.

Let me guess, you probably think Barry Switzer is a good head coach as well.