• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hansen update

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
arb hearing was today

Jannik Hansen had his arbitration case heard Tuesday in Toronto and will learn his contractual fate within 48 hours. It's a safe bet that the Vancouver Canucks would accept a reasonable one-year, one-way award by an independent arbiter.
Hansen, 24, elected salary arbitration and Mark Stowe, the agent for the restricted free agent, presented his case to prove that there's greater value than the two-way deal the versatile Dane had last season that paid $550,000 at the NHL level. Canucks assistant general manager Laurence Gilman argued on behalf of management and could cite just 15 points in 47 games from the winger as reason for fiscal restraint — although Hansen did miss the first 19 games of the regular season with three broken fingers in his right hand from a Sept. 27 scrap with Gilbert Brule of the Edmonton Oilers.
"In terms of performance, he did play in all 12 playoff games, which is material," Stowe said of Hansen, who had one postseason goal and saw his ice time fluctuate from four to 11 minutes. "But in terms of his worth to the club, it's his versatility.
"With any player there are ups and downs and the average of their stats is given more weight than a microscope look. In the crucial run up to the Canucks clinching [the Northwest Division], his ice time was 11 to 14 minutes on average. That was pretty important. But it's hard to dissect it because he was hurt. Hopefully, the arbiter looks at the objective factors in the statistics and that being the overall performance."
Three of Hansen's nine goals last season were game-winners and he also added a shorthanded goal. And with the Canucks struggling on the penalty kill — 18th overall in the regular season (81.6 per cent) and last in the postseason (68.5 per cent) — how Hansen fits into remodeled third and fourth lines is the big question. He has the speed, but lacks finish and yet is responsible enough to help the penalty kill. Then again, the Canucks have seven players signed who project to play in the bottom six and that doesn't include Cody Hodgson.
For Hansen, getting a fair arbitration settlement might be easier than making the team.

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Score another one for the agents.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
probably 1 way too right?
yikes
raymond is looking forward to arbitration right about now

Vancouver wasn't asking for two-way.
a little rich, but not too bad. I figured range would be $700-900k.

edit - just checked the roster thread, i had him pencilled in for $800k

mooger_35

my hatred for MY team clouds my judgement
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had him at $750k so what's another $75k. :-)

Just once I'd like to see an arbitration case come in at the low end of the range.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vancouver wasn't asking for two-way.
a little rich, but not too bad. I figured range would be $700-900k.

was going from a 2 way to a 1 way the offer improvement mentioned below?

The arbitration award clearly went Hansen's way. The Canucks had made Hansen a qualifying offer with a mandatory 10-per-cent raise. But that offer was based on a two-way contract that would have paid Hansen far less if he was shipped to the minors.

That offer was improved in recent days, but the arbitrator sided with Hansen and agent Mark Stowe.

Read more: Jannik Hansen wins Canucks arbitration case, will pocket $825,000 US on one-way deal

canucks publically saying they accept the decision ... privately?

Im sure the leafs would pay him 8 and a quarter

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
canucks publically saying they accept the decision ... privately?

Im sure the leafs would pay him 8 and a quarter

they actually HAVE to accept the decision. teams can't walk away for an award under $1.6m*
but yeah if they don't like it, our bottom 6 seems to have plenty of contenders going into camp already.

* source: http://www.theprovince.com/sports/h...n+wins+arbitration+hearing/3310107/story.html
funny you were reading Sun at same time I picked Province. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dupster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't really mind that cap hit. Besides, now that he's under contract, Gillis could always throw him in with the Bieksa deal.