• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Guess at the 53 man roster

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So with the final cuts coming up I thought I would start a thread with everybody's thoughts on what the final roster will look like.

Quarterback: For once I think the Broncos only keep 2 quarterbacks with Manning and Osweiler being the two of course and Dysert going to the practice squad

Running Back: Ronnie Hillman, Montee Ball, and Knowshon are about guaranteed to make the roster so that 4th spot is about the only one in doubt. My guess is Hester is given the nod considering he can play both fullback and running back for this offense. The coaches seem to like him as well.

Wide Receiver: Thomas, Decker, and Welker are locks with King just being drafted as another. So one spot most likely still available and looks like Caldwell has it locked up. I guess you can put Holiday in this group as he will make the team but I doubt he gets more than a handful of plays on actual offense.

Tight End: Going with only 2 quarterbacks allows the Broncos to keep 4 TE's once again. I think we all know the 4 in Thomas, Dreessen, Tamme, and Green

Offensive Line: This right here might be the hardest group to pick. You have the 5 starters in Clady, Beadles, Ramirez, Vasquez, and Franklin. After that it is somewhat a guessing game for the final 4 spots. Most likely Clark gets one of those spots as he has been the clear back up tackle so far. My guess at the others would be Kuper, Moffit, and either Painter or Lilja.

Defensive Line: The Broncos usually keep 9 for this group so Wolfe, Knighton, Vickerson, Ayers, Jackson, Williams, Unrein, Smith, and Phillips seem like the group to me. Unfortunately Beal just doesn't make the cut.

Linebackers: Woodyard, Trevathon, and Irving are locks. Since Von is suspended it allows the Broncos to keep an extra linebacker for the team until he comes back. My guess at the other 3 is Johnson, Lerentee McCray, and maybe Stewart Bradley and hope that he returns soon.

Secondary: Another hard unit to really predict. Champ, Moore, Ihenacho, DRC, Harris, Carter, and Bruton are all locks. Last year the team went with 5 Corners and 5 Safeties but this year my guess is they go 6 Corners and 4 safeties so the final safety spot goes to Mike Adams just in case Ihenacho struggles so they have a veteran. The final 2 corner spots comes down to Jammer, Bolden, and Kayvon Webster. They are not going to cut Webster after using a 3rd round pick plus he has looked good. So in reality we are down to Jammer and Bolden for the final spot. I honestly have no idea which way it will go but my guess is they stick with Bolden. He has a few moments of showing why the Broncos took a chance on him plus he can help out on Special Teams I think a little more than Jammer would want to at this point. Saves the Broncos some cap space as well.

Special Teams: I think we all know how this will go. Prater, Colquitt, and Aaron Brewer. No real competition for any of these guys in camp.

Well there you have it. Feel free to disagree with me on any of these.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great stab at it CD! I'm pretty much with you on all of it. I also think that Jammer is the odd man out among the defensive backs. The only disagreement that I might have is at running back and tight end. I think the Broncos may place more value on Lance Ball than they do with Jacob Hester. They may also decide to go with 5 running backs and only 3 tights ends. If they cut Hester, they'll definitely keep four tight ends, as that group can step in on the rare occasion that a play is called that requires a fullback.

It will be interesting to see how Dysert plays tonight. I agree that the Broncos want to move him to the practice squad. If he shows well tonight, that could point to someone picking him up off of waivers before the Broncos can move him to the practice squad since they need to cut him and wait the 24 hours before being assured of keeping him. There are some QB starved teams out there.

The other thing that mystifies me a bit is whether or not the Broncos will keep a spot or two open to grab another team's cut off of waivers. Last year, that's how we picked up Trindon Holliday, as you may recall. One week to go, gents!! Go Broncos!

MH64

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you broke it down very well and I can't really find anything I really disagree with. Might be Lance Ball instead of Hester but that could go either way. I also agree that they'll keep Bolden at the expense of Jammer (even though Jammer is probably better, I just don't think they want to give up on Bolden yet).

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great stab at it CD! I'm pretty much with you on all of it. I also think that Jammer is the odd man out among the defensive backs. The only disagreement that I might have is at running back and tight end. I think the Broncos may place more value on Lance Ball than they do with Jacob Hester. They may also decide to go with 5 running backs and only 3 tights ends. If they cut Hester, they'll definitely keep four tight ends, as that group can step in on the rare occasion that a play is called that requires a fullback.

It will be interesting to see how Dysert plays tonight. I agree that the Broncos want to move him to the practice squad. If he shows well tonight, that could point to someone picking him up off of waivers before the Broncos can move him to the practice squad since they need to cut him and wait the 24 hours before being assured of keeping him. There are some QB starved teams out there.

The other thing that mystifies me a bit is whether or not the Broncos will keep a spot or two open to grab another team's cut off of waivers. Last year, that's how we picked up Trindon Holliday, as you may recall. One week to go, gents!! Go Broncos!

MH64
Well, last year they waived Ihenacho to make room for Holliday. So I assume they will want to carry a full 53 man roster, and then make room if they see someone come up.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what happens with CJ Anderson. If he is cut, I imagine he would be a good candidate for the practice squad, but he might not make it through waivers.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TDs3nOut my guess with CJ Anderson is the Broncos will see if they can get him to clear waivers then stick him on the practice squad. He had a good game against San Fran but it wasn't mind blowing to the point teams will think they have to have him. My guess is he would clear and the Broncos will get to keep him and then make a decision once he gets healthy of whether to move him on up to the roster or not. He might be a year away from being on the roster as he still needs to work a ton on his blocking to actually make this roster.

Barrelman Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Paris Lennon or whatever his name is makes it over Bradley.

The secondary is hard. I think Bolden provides more special teams than Jammer obviously, but he hasn't done well this preseason. Possibly they put Webster on the PS. But in this final game with people fighting for spots, it wouldn't surprise me to see an injury to someone.

Depending on Quanterus Smith's health, I could see him being moved to PS. Still not sure that means Beal makes it in.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Paris Lennon or whatever his name is makes it over Bradley.

The secondary is hard. I think Bolden provides more special teams than Jammer obviously, but he hasn't done well this preseason. Possibly they put Webster on the PS. But in this final game with people fighting for spots, it wouldn't surprise me to see an injury to someone.

Depending on Quanterus Smith's health, I could see him being moved to PS. Still not sure that means Beal makes it in.
I don't see Smith making it to the PS. I have doubts he'd clear the necessary waivers, even with the injury.

Still not sure they cut Jammer either. He might be having a rough preseason, but he's also a veteran who was brought in to counter TE's. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes it.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surely Smith won't be cut. I think that he was drafted as a sort of project with both a health concern and a lot of pass rushing potential. Wouldn't make sense to cut him without seeing whether he can develop.