• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Goodell will not recuse himself

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN reporting Goodell will hear Brady appeal. NFL turns down NFLPA request.
What does this mean?
Will this now go to court?
Will Goodell change the 4 game suspension?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It means the 4 game suspension will stay.

It's not going to court. This isn't a court case. How many times does this have to be pointed out to you. This is a NFL code of conduct case.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not going to court. This isn't a court case. How many times does this have to be pointed out to you. This is a NFL code of conduct case.
Thanks for pointing that out Kojak. The appeal is the next step prior to a possible court case.:doh:

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Tom Brady believes he's innocent, he can take it to court. The NFL is not the last tier of justice. CBA, Rule of Conduct, it doesn't matter. Anyone can bring a case before the bar.

Brady's attorney, Kessler has already said that this can move beyond the NFL Appeal Process. My guess is that he's has a lot more experience than we have.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN reporting Goodell will hear Brady appeal. NFL turns down NFLPA request.
What does this mean?
Will this now go to court?
Will Goodell change the 4 game suspension?
It means those of us telling you he wasn't going to back down were right.
It means the assumption that some middle ground is still likely is right on track.
I doubt this goes to court if the suspension is dropped to 2 games, but it depends on what comes out of the case as to whether or not they really have a strong enough case to take it to court if they don't. Likely it will go to court as all of these things are more about the power struggle between both bodies than the cases they represent.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This going to be interesting on it plays out. Most of us have our opinion stated. I say the NFL doesn't give a inch and Brady doesn't go to court. My reasoning is 4 games is a slap on the wrist IMO, and Brady knows he's guilty, so no court case.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points. I think Pat fans hope it goes to court for two reasons. One IF it goes to court and Brady is found not guilty both he and Pat fans will feel some vindication. Two maybe a court case helps in getting Goodell temoved from his throne?

Will definetely be interesting if the suspension is dropped by only 1,2, or 3 games. Interseting to see what Brady does?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure why anyone thought he should recuse himself. This is his job. He needs to do his job honestly and fairly even if it's not popular or he's in a can't win situation like he's in now. But I do think the suspension will be reduced to the 2 games I thought it should be in the first place. No, it will not go to court.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady's attorney, Kessler has already said that this can move beyond the NFL Appeal Process. My guess is that he's has a lot more experience than we have.

Yeah but they would just be wasting Tom Brady's money and cost him even more of his reputation than he has already lost.

My advice to Brady would have been to hire a high priced lawyer, squawk about court actions and see if he could negotiate down to a 2 game sentence. But after Goodell hears the appeal, it is in his own best interest to drop it, make a public statement of contrition and just take the 4 weeks off. Another month on a beach with Gissell wouldn't be the worst thing I would imagine. The chances of this being overturned on appeal in courts is just so slim. It isn't worth wasting money and keeping this story in the papers for longer than it is already going to be.

Of course I don't make my salary on billable hours so I am sure Brady's lawyers are giving him a different story.

The only real appeal to a higher court is that Goodell delegated out the authority to issue discipline and that violates the CBA. But it is a crap argument. Goodell could have easily looked at Vincient's findings and said no let's only suspend him for 2 games. He didn't. That really is always the process. There ALWAYS is someone doing the leg work for the commissioners in these cases whether it is publicized or not. He makes the FINAL call on discipline....not all the steps that leads up to the final call. And in this case the same is true. Vincient made a SUGGESTION of how Brady should be disciplined and Goodell happened to agree with it.

The only thing that can save Brady IMO is if there is some obscure labor law on the books in Mass that would override the CBA that the lawyers just haven't mentioned yet because they don't want to give the NFL lawyers more time to put together a defense than they already have.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points. I think Pat fans hope it goes to court for two reasons. One IF it goes to court and Brady is found not guilty both he and Pat fans will feel some vindication. Two maybe a court case helps in getting Goodell temoved from his throne?

Will definetely be interesting if the suspension is dropped by only 1,2, or 3 games. Interseting to see what Brady does?

Why would this help get Goodell fired?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is how I see this playing out. Kraft already took the hit for the team. Goodell and Kraft had a chat as to how this will play out with Brady. Goodell decided to take over to give Brady a two game suspension. IMO this has already been a done deal.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah but they would just be wasting Tom Brady's money and cost him even more of his reputation than he has already lost.

My advice to Brady would have been to hire a high priced lawyer, squawk about court actions and see if he could negotiate down to a 2 game sentence. But after Goodell hears the appeal, it is in his own best interest to drop it and just take the 4 weeks off. Another month on a beach with Gissell wouldn't be the worst thing I would imagine. The chances of this being overturned on appeal in courts is just so slim. It isn't worth wasting money and keeping this story in the papers for longer than it is already going to be.

Of course I don't make my salary on billable hours so I am sure Brady's lawyers are giving him a different story.

The only real appeal to a higher court is that Goodell delegated out the authority to issue discipline and that violates the CBA. But it is a crap argument. Goodell could have easily looked at Vincient's findings and said no let's only suspend him for 2 games. He didn't. That really is always the process. There ALWAYS is someone doing the leg work for the commissioners in these cases whether it is publicized or not. He makes the FINAL call on discipline....not all the steps that leads up to the final call. And in this case the same is true.

The only thing that can save Brady IMO is if there is some obscure labor law on the books in Mass that would override the CBA that the lawyers just haven't mentioned yet because they don't want to give the NFL lawyers more time to put together a defense than they already have.

Hold on, how does Troy Vincent handing out punishment violate the CBA? That's part of his job. People always point to Goodell in these suspensions but it actually is Vincent's job and he is the one who almost always sets punishment.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell needs to hear the appeal by the 25th I believe, won't be long before we find out that part.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hold on, how does Troy Vincent handing out punishment violate the CBA? That's part of his job. People always point to Goodell in these suspensions but it actually is Vincent's job and he is the one who almost always sets punishment.

Vincent hands out punishments for on the field violations. Goodell hands down punishment when it is conduct detrimental to the league.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is how I see this playing out. Kraft already took the hit for the team. Goodell and Kraft had a chat as to how this will play out with Brady. Goodell decided to take over to give Brady a two game suspension. IMO this has already been a done deal.

I wish I had said that on the boards but I've been telling people that for days. Kraft is acting like he just took the high road for the sake of the league and his partners but I can't imagine he backed down with no resolution and just said he'll let the chips fall. Gotta call BS on that!

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vincent hands out punishments for on the field violations. Goodell hands down punishment when it is conduct detrimental to the league.

Not saying you're wrong but I've never heard that. Got a link?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It does. I'd be interested to see the entire letter from Vincent to see exactly what he said. I also understand the conduct detrimental angle but the other angle is this is an on field violation.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does. I'd be interested to see the entire letter from Vincent to see exactly what he said. I also understand the conduct detrimental angle but the other angle is this is an on field violation.
I would consider this a on the field violation.