• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Golden Tate vs Doug Baldwin

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are some interesting stats I found when looking at the splits for both players

1) First downs/Passing Targets
- Doug Baldwin was #2 in the NFC with 49.3 % (36 fd with 73 targets) ahead of guys like Boldin, Megatron, and Jordy Nelson. Tate was 20th with 41.8 %

2) Catching passes thrown more than 10 yards
- Overall Tate's catch to target percentage was very good (68 %...the same as Baldwin). However, Tate does most of his damage either at the line of scrimmage (15 rec for 159 yds) or 1-10 yards (37 rec for 392 yds).

If you take that out and look at only the passes that traveled 10 + yards, Tate was only 12 for 46 with a catch to target percentage of 26 %. Baldwin on the other hand was 21 for 44 with a catch to target percentage of 47 % on passes traveling 10 + yards

3) Playoff stats
- During this year's Superbowl run Tate was relatively quiet with only 8 catches and 61 yds in 3 games. Baldwin 13 catches for 202 yards. And it's not like Tate was quiet because Russell didn't look his way. Tate had the same amount of targets as Baldwin had with 15.

Which is crazy cause that means Baldwin caught 13 of his 15 targets

4) Playing when trailing or tied
- Tate has 28 rec for 248 yards (8.8 avg) when the team is trailing or tied. Baldwin had 25 rec for 341 yds (13.6 avg)

Not sure what this stat means but Tate's yards per catch goes from 14.0 down to 8.8 when playing behind or tied and Baldwin only goes from 15.7 down to 13.6

I think everyone here loved Tate and appreciated what he brought to the table but I think these numbers show and confirm what many of us already believed. Tate is an elusive playmaker in the open field, but he doesn't get open on a consistent basis. He's one of the leaders in YAC, but his 27 % catch to target percentage on passes 10 + yards is pretty bad.

Percy will fill in Tate's role catching passes behind the line of scrimmage and 1-10 yards so while we will miss Tate's production in that area we have someone just as good if not better at doing what Tate does.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great points LL.
Straight up, I had asked myself going into FA, if I had to pick either GT or ADB to remain a Hawk I went with ADB in a close call.
While both are solid NFL players, I think ADB is a little better in the route running and my guess is that leads to being "open" more.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, OL is a much greater need than WR. I would love to see Baldwin get an extension before he lights it up this year. Is over 1000 Yards a reasonable target for Baldwin. Man catches everything.

The OL really worries me.

octagondd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think any receiver will get over 1000 yards receiving in this offense, including Percy Harvin. He gets his yards other ways. This offense needs team-first receivers who do their job which includes down field blocking and creative improvising. It doesn't need "gimme the ball" guys or superstars since peewee. Those guys can go make their money and never win a championship. PC will not put up with those guys (TJ Houshmadaddy). The one knock on Tate was a bit of that kind of attitude.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just don't think any receiver will get over 1000 yards receiving in this offense, including Percy Harvin. He gets his yards other ways. This offense needs team-first receivers who do their job which includes down field blocking and creative improvising. It doesn't need "gimme the ball" guys or superstars since peewee. Those guys can go make their money and never win a championship. PC will not put up with those guys (TJ Houshmadaddy). The one knock on Tate was a bit of that kind of attitude.

Idk if i agree a reciever like larry fitzgerald, josh gordon, TY hilton, AJ Green, or Brandon Marshall could get 1000 yards if they played on this team, ive said on other posts that the only reason why russell runs all over the place from side to side is because he is buying time for our recievers to get open

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, OL is a much greater need than WR. I would love to see Baldwin get an extension before he lights it up this year. Is over 1000 Yards a reasonable target for Baldwin. Man catches everything.

The OL really worries me.

what I like about Tom Cable is that he can spot a solid offensive lineman. IMO besides LT and C the other spots you can fill with players that are just capable, breno was a fifth round draft pick by the packers that didnt pan out. we signed him to our practice squad and made it as the starter at RT and Sweezy was a 7th round draft pick that was a converted DT if im not mistaken. I think cable has some players in mind in this draft in the later rounds to pick up

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another interesting stat was Baldwin's splits on third downs vs Tate's splits on third downs

Tate for his career typically does most of his damage on 1st downs

- 381 yds on 1st down vs 252 yds on 3rd downs (2013)
- 311 yds on 1st down vs 256 yds on 3rd downs (2012)

Baldwin on the other hand thrives more on third downs

- 225 yds on 1st downs vs 304 yds on third downs (2013)
- 212 yds on 1st downs vs 409 yds on third downs (2011)

The one thing that Tate improved this year was consistency on all three downs. In 2012 Tate basically had no production on 2nd down (91 yds total), but in 2013 he was effective on all 3 downs (381, 265, and 252)

coltonjg98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about catches for first downs on third down, or catches on third down while trailing in the fourth quarter? I can remember ATLEAST 2 games this year that baldwin saved with his tiptoe sideline catches that we wouldnt have won. I dont remember tate doing any of that. Baldwins playing in the clutch was incredible, better than any other Seahawks receiver by far. Like you guys have said, Percy will be the guy to look at for under 10 yards, and hes better than tate at that anyways. The only thing I see us missing Tate for is his outstanding punt returning. I dont think anyone on the roster comes close to his talents there, but is it worth 6.5m/year? Absolutely not. I think tate was great and all, and knew how to make plays, but I'm not really gonna miss him this year. That money is better spent elsewhere, like LEO, OL, etc...

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry to see Tate go, but like someone else said he could have a bit of an attitude. I don't know how many noticed, but during the NFL's sound FX on the Superbowl Wilson tells Tate to just make sure and get up the field and secure the first down. Tate didn't say a word but he looked kinda pissed in my opinion.

On a funnier note, Tate once called me an "Old fool" on Twitter when I made a joke about his donut break-in. LOL. I guess he didn't see the humor in it like I did.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the joke?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Idk if i agree a reciever like larry fitzgerald, josh gordon, TY hilton, AJ Green, or Brandon Marshall could get 1000 yards if they played on this team, ive said on other posts that the only reason why russell runs all over the place from side to side is because he is buying time for our recievers to get open

You guys run a similar offense to the Niners in terms of being very run heavy. I find the bolded statement to be false. If Boldin, like 5 years removed from his prime, could go for 1,000 yards in our offense, or Crabtree last year, then certainly players of Green or Marshall's skill set can get open enough to catch for 1,000 in yours. I just don't think that your team has had the talent necessary at the position to get to that point. Maybe DB being a more focused part of the passing attack or Harvin if he can stay healthy can get there, but the problem isn't the offense but rather the ability of your WRs.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was the joke?

Tate posted a picture of a donut someone left for him on his golf cart at some tournament and I posted "I hope it was from Hot Pot bakery". Then he got miffed and called me a loser. I did get the name of the bakery wrong though so I gave him an easy shot. LOL. Still, I thought it was funny.

https://twitter.com/ShowtimeTate/status/72051567523663872

Last edited by a moderator:

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole donutgate thing was pretty ridiculous. You would think that he would have a sense of humor about it.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The whole donutgate thing was pretty ridiculous. You would think that he would have a sense of humor about it.

Ya, apparently not. Although this was pretty close to when it first happened so he might have been still a little sore over the whole thing. I didn't take it too seriously, I just thought it was pretty amusing that the first and only time a Seahawk player had taken the time to speak to me he ripped me. lol.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate on 710 today: "The Hawks offer to me was not 1st priority and laughable. Says he is earning more in year 1 then in the 1st two years of the Hawks offer."