• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gobert - Shaq Hypothetical

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't find the direct source to the comment, only references to it.

nypost.com/2022/05/10/rudy-gobert-claps-back-at-shaq-i-would-lock-his-ass-up/

I don’t like comments like this. I would take constructive criticism from all time grades. But I would also say that Greg Ostertag gave Shaq problems even though Shaq of course still performed well. I think Gobert would do better, assuming he doesn’t leave Shaq to do more of a team defense type thing. So it really depends on the defensive philosophy on whether Gobert would be defending Shaq or defending the paint or something else with players funneling shooters towards Gobert.

The game has changed a lot. I believe that he was responding to shack and not just spouting off so I am sort of OK with it, but overall, I don’t like these type of comments because it perpetuates like that and I also don’t think that something else with players funneling shooters towards Gobert. The game has changed a lot.

I believe that he was responding to Shaq and not just spouting off so I am sort of OK with it, but overall, I don’t like these type of comments because it perpetuates more comments like that and I also don’t think that we would know hypothetically what would happen in different areas. Shaq was someone who could be affected just like anyone else, but locking someone up, sounds like somebody expressing something when they know that they will never have to prove it. And if they were to prove it, it would be at this age difference.

My guess is that Gobert would hold his own, but there would be give-and-take. There would be plenty of times where Gobert just loses. And that’s not a knock on him, it’s just that Shaq was so big and great. Maybe O’Neal scores 20 to 25 points instead of 25 to 30? Or maybe even 15 to 20 on some occasions. And another factor is how often would the Lakers go to Kobe instead of Shaq because of Gobert? How often would Kobe go at Gobert because of his need to defend Shaq?

I guess the question would be how often Shaq would sit out in this league.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaq's made snide comments about Gobert for a while. Last year, Shaq had this:

+++++++++++++

“I’m not gonna hate, but this should be an inspiration to all the little kids out there,” O’Neal said. “You average 11 points in the NBA, you can get $200 million.”

++++++++++++

Shaq is right about one thing. He rarely was guarded one on one, it was usually doubles and triples.

Shaq vs. Yao was marketing only. Houston would send multiple defenders at Shaq.

In today's NBA, almost no one is even doubled. Chris Paul went 14/14 in a recent game, and was never doubled.

During most of the 40+ point playoffs games by individuals the past few years, the scorer is never doubled.