• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GNT | Pens@Rags | 1.19.12

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lrg_Pittsburgh_Penguins128.gif
vs
4359705775_new_york_rangers_logo_answer_7_xlarge.jpeg

PENGUINS (24-17-4) at RANGERS (29-11-4)

TV: NHLN-US (HD), ROOT (HD), MSG

Last 10: Pittsburgh 4-6-0; New York 7-3-0

Season series: This is third of six meetings between the Atlantic Division rivals. The Rangers won the first two games, most recently a 3-1 win in Pittsburgh on Jan. 6.

Big Story: While the Rangers are battling for the top spot in the NHL, the banged-up Penguins are fighting for position in the bottom half of the Eastern Conference playoff picture.

Team Scope:

Penguins: After losing four straight, the Penguins were outside of the top eight in the East. But three straight wins, including a 2-1 shootout victory against the Carolina Hurricanes on Tuesday.

"We've got to keep (the losing streak) right close to us and we've got to keep going the same way and make sure that we keep playing the way that we know that we can and the way that's made us successful over these last three games," Pittsburgh's Matt Cooke said.

Rangers: The Rangers didn't let Sunday's 4-1 loss to Montreal -- their second in three games -- turn into a losing skid by bouncing back with a 3-0 defeat of the red-hot Predators.

Henrik Lundqvist made 27 saves, and said the Rangers' ability to not let losses linger is a sign the team has grown up this season.

"I think we're more mature," said Lundqvist, whose fourth shutout of the season followed two losses in which he allowed seven goals on 53 shots. "We know how we have to play. So far, every time we lose our focus on how we have to play, we correct it pretty fast. That's key. If you want to stay in top position, you have to correct things right away. You can't let it slide. It's a really good thing to have."

Who's Hot: Evgeni Malkin has 7 goals and 2 assists in his last six games for the Penguins.

Injury Report: Penguis captain Sidney Crosby (concussion) is out. He remains on injured reserve along with defenseman Kris Letang (concussion), center Jordan Staal (sprained MCL) and rookie defenseman Simon Despres (lower body).

Stat Pack: Since Crosby exited the lineup Dec. 5, the Penguins are 8-9-0. Malkin has 12 goals and 15 assists over that span.

Puck Drop: "I think this whole year, we've responded well after poor performances. Throughout the year, you're going to have bad games. You're going to have games where you're not at your best. Good teams respond from that and don’t let it snowball and turn into two losses or three losses." -- Rangers captain Ryan Callahan.​

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno and Flower need to put on a show tonight...

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno and Flower need to put on a show tonight...

They need this one more than the rangers do. I really hope the whole team shows some desperation, tonight. The rags have had their number, this season.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Letang makes his triumphant return...meanwhile, Asham is concussed. *sigh*

joe_baran

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So eager to see what impact Letang has with his return. While I don't think it's unrealistic to expect some rust his ability to get out of the zone quickly and his speed are welcome additions to the lineup.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So eager to see what impact Letang has with his return. While I don't think it's unrealistic to expect some rust his ability to get out of the zone quickly and his speed are welcome additions to the lineup.

Letang's return=less Martin on the PP.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn concussions. We trade one concussed player coming off the IR for one going on the IR. Talk about frustrating:tsk:

Good news Letang will be playing tonight. A PowerPlay with less Paul Martin is a better Powerplay.

As for Asham that stinks but on a side not I love how it seems now when a player is out sick it ends up being a concussion like symptoms. I guess the cautious route is the better way to go.

Anyway it is a big game tonight.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An ironic article about everyone's favorite player to hate:

Pittsburgh Penguins' Matt Cooke proves change is possible - ESPN

It is a Burnside article, and everyone knows he's a douche... but it's actually pretty decent. A douche writing about a douche :)

I barely ever read anything on ESPN about hockey but read this one since you put the link. Thanks.

Anyway what I don't understand with any "dirty" player is that they deliberately have to go out of their way to be dirty. It is not done by accident.

So what is funny is that they are making a big deal out of him changing. But it is a simple change if you are a dirty player just don't play dirty, not hard to change just don't be stupid on the ice.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news Letang will be playing tonight. A PowerPlay with less Paul Martin is a better Powerplay.

As for Asham that stinks but on a side not I love how it seems now when a player is out sick it ends up being a concussion like symptoms. I guess the cautious route is the better way to go.

Anyway it is a big game tonight.

Yeah, getting Letang back after this long of a layoff is like adding an All-Star at the trade-deadline. He might need a couple shifts to knock off the rust, but Letang is by far the most talented blue-liner Pittsburgh has. His presence will pay dividends. I just hope he is ready to return, and isn't pushing it. They cannot afford to have him out, again as they get closer to the playoffs.

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I barely ever read anything on ESPN about hockey but read this one since you put the link. Thanks.

Anyway what I don't understand with any "dirty" player is that they deliberately have to go out of their way to be dirty. It is not done by accident.

So what is funny is that they are making a big deal out of him changing. But it is a simple change if you are a dirty player just don't play dirty, not hard to change just don't be stupid on the ice.

It seems that way. At the same time, it does completely shift the line of thinking he must bring to the ice. Instead of being a brain-dead moron, he actually has to make the split-second decisions to not be a jackass.

Early in the season, he was contributing on the scoresheet, as of late, though... not so much. 7G 7A on the year, not exactly an awesome stat-line. I wonder if this apparent change has made him less effective?

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that way. At the same time, it does completely shift the line of thinking he must bring to the ice. Instead of being a brain-dead moron, he actually has to make the split-second decisions to not be a jackass.

Early in the season, he was contributing on the scoresheet, as of late, though... not so much. 7G 7A on the year, not exactly an awesome stat-line. I wonder if this apparent change has made him less effective?

On the surface I would say yes as long as he plays a top 6 role. He is no more than a 3rd/4th line grinder, PK'er, which he does both very good. And I think the Penguins over valued him due to the chemistry with Staal/Kennedy that's the reason he gets paid more than an Asham or Adams.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the surface I would say yes as long as he plays a top 6 role. He is no more than a 3rd/4th line grinder, PK'er, which he does both very good. And I think the Penguins over valued him due to the chemistry with Staal/Kennedy that's the reason he gets paid more than an Asham or Adams.

I think he's less effective this year...but I think that as he learns his new game he'll get better. He needs to get better though...learn to be physical without crossing the line. He's making safe decisions every time, which is fine, but it lessens your affect on the ice. He makes fewer hits. Not saying he should be cheap, but he needs to not shy away from hits all the sudden.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lets :puke:.. go :puke:.. pens :puke:

:pout:

evolver115

Garage League
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Haven't been impressed with Tangradi's fighting chops. He might need to consider using those hands for goal scoring, and stop dropping the gloves.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm...please win. I hate seeing the Pens win, but it isnt as bad as seeing the Rags being on top of the standings when in reality theyre the same mediocre club.