• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GM Danny Ferry, Atlanta Hawks' Second Racial Controversy This Week

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, the situation with Hawks' owner Bruce Levenson was sparked by an earlier situation involving Hawk's GM Danny Ferry:

Ferry received undisclosed discipline by team CEO Steve Koonin after making inappropriate comments about NBA star Luol Deng during a June conference call with members of the ownership team, ESPN reported on Tuesday (September 9). During the call, where team officials discussed the possibility of signing Deng as a free agent, Ferry said that the two-time all-star “has a little African in him.”

He went on to try to justify the comment. “Not in a bad way, but he’s like a guy who would have a nice store out front and sell you counterfeit stuff out of the back,” Ferry said during the call.

Atlanta’s WSB-TV obtained a letter from Hawks co-owner Michael Gearon Jr., which detailed the incident. Gearon went on to say that he and the other co-owners were appalled by the comment; in his letter he recommended that Ferry be fired or asked to resign. It was during the investigation of Ferry’s comments that the Hawks uncovered Levenson’s email, where he stated that the majority black crowd at Hawks games in Atlanta scared off white fans.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's racist? :noidea: I'm calling bullshit.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems nonsensical more than anything to me...maybe Ferry lost big bucks in a Nigerian email scam?

Attachments

• scam.jpg
    scam.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 46

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think saying that someone "has a little ___insert race here___ in them" is racist at all.

I can definitely see, however, how following that up by clarifying that that means they would be willing to participate in illegal activities, could be considered racist.

#1BostonFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.40
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think saying that someone "has a little ___insert race here___ in them" is racist at all.

I can definitely see, however, how following that up by clarifying that that means they would be willing to participate in illegal activities, could be considered racist.

It's 100% racist.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Sigh*And things were looking so bright for us too for a couple months.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no issue with what the Owner said.

I don't see anything in his email that appears racist.

Danny Ferry?

He should be fired immediately.

Repeating someone's dumb as comment, not wise, but not racist.

The followup claim that he might be running some Nigerian Prince Ponzi scheme, DURING A BUSINESS MEETING, is grounds for dismissal.

Remember, This is not some illegal wiretapping.

He actually said this in a meeting.

How on earth is he expected to negotiate with Free Agents?

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Owner - not racist

Ferry - maybe racist, or at the very least ignorant, not really hatred or hurtful intent
It was more a lack of knowledge about other places and laziness towards understanding other cultures.

Hbomb

Mobile Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,923.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is getting out of hand. As long as there is no discrimination what difference does it make. More political correctness running amok.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is absolutely a slur. It's categorizing Africans as being sleezy, untrustworthy, etc simply because of his racial background. I'm sorry but if you are a person that can't see how its derogatory, you really need to examine yourself. Those comments are far worse than what the owner said.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys what is going on with pro sports these days

Idiots everywhere

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sick of this shit. I DGAF what the owners think. I DGAF what the players think. The NBA sucks. It's been this way for a while now, but thanks to how crazy the media is today it's finally being exposed for what it is: A money making business with corrupt owners.

They don't care about small market teams. They just want to make profit. They don't care about players (minus LeBron, Durant, Melo, Kobe, etc). They just want to make profit and promote stars to.... WAIT FOR IT.... sell jerseys and merchandise,etc. so they can.... make profit. It's a business.

This is what I've been saying for years now... I love, love, love the Suns because I grew up with them being my first sports team, they were my first professional sports event I attended and my family has been die-hard Suns fans since I can remember. LOVE the Suns but HATE the NBA. No parity, horrible leadership, shitty owners and the style of play really isn't what basketball is truly about anymore.. /end rant/

Last edited by a moderator:

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
see you on the opening night game thread

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sick of this shit. I DGAF what the owners think. I DGAF what the players think. The NBA sucks. It's been this way for a while now, but thanks to how crazy the media is today it's finally being exposed for what it is: A money making business with corrupt owners.

They don't care about small market teams. They just want to make profit. They don't care about players (minus LeBron, Durant, Melo, Kobe, etc). They just want to make profit and promote stars to.... WAIT FOR IT.... sell jerseys and merchandise,etc. so they can.... make profit. It's a business.

This is what I've been saying for years now... I love, love, love the Suns because I grew up with them being my first sports team, they were my first professional sports event I attended and my family has been die-hard Suns fans since I can remember. LOVE the Suns but HATE the NBA. No parity, horrible leadership, shitty owners and the style of play really isn't what basketball is truly about anymore.. /end rant/

You realize that Suns team you loved growing up was trying to make a profit, right?