• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants turn their attention away from Beltran to...

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Giants turn their attention away from Beltran after acquiring Cabrera - MLB - Sporting News

San Francisco Giants fans are hoping general manager Brian Sabean has a surprise move up his sleeve following reports that the team will not pursue free-agent outfielder Carlos Beltran.

The Giants traded for center fielder Melky Cabrera on Monday. The decision to let Beltran walk, first reported by SI.com, is somewhat surprising considering San Francisco has gotten little production from its corner outfielders outside of Beltran.
The Giants will reportedly no longer will try to re-sign free-agent right fielder Carlos Beltran. (AP Photo)

From the article...

"Cabrera can play center, but the Giants have the same problems in the corners as they did before they traded for Beltran this past July. The Giants need offense, and Beltran had a .910 OPS in 2011 (.920 in 179 plate appearances with San Francisco).

Cabrera’s .809 OPS with the Kansas City Royals this past season was a career high. Perhaps Sabean is planning to go hard after a bigger free-agent fish, maybe someone like first baseman Prince Fielder or shortstop Jose Reyes."

Read more: Giants turn their attention away from Beltran after acquiring Cabrera - MLB - Sporting News

Fielder?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's gotta be someone. Even if it's Cuddyer and Sizemore or Rollins (doubtful).

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the feeling this much ado about nothing. I do not think this article is based on anything more than "Well, they got Melky, so they obviously will not go after CarBel."

I like the theories presented here and what I read on drB's saying that Melky was more of a selling point to get CarBel better. This argument makes more sense to me.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the "reports" are true then I've got to conclude that Beltran has a 4 year deal in hand from an AL team and we're dropping out.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the "reports" are true then I've got to conclude that Beltran has a 4 year deal in hand from an AL team and we're dropping out.

The story was written on Tuesday, and does not mention anything like this.

You may be right, but I see nothing that indicates that is the case.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The story was written on Tuesday, and does not mention anything like this.

You may be right, but I see nothing that indicates that is the case.

Ok, maybe not a deal-in-hand, but a firm statement from Beltran's agent that they won't consider anything less than 4 guaranteed years?

I doubt SabeySabes just decided "nah, don't need him."

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, maybe not a deal-in-hand, but a firm statement from Beltran's agent that they won't consider anything less than 4 guaranteed years?

MLBTV (Hot Stove, perhaps?) the other night was talking like Boston had the lead on CarBel. Giants weren't even mentioned as suitors.

Might be that East Coast bias bleeding over from Disney.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If CarBel is starting with a 4-year request, than I agree that walking away from the table is the right counter-offer. A 2 year, or a 2+1 is the absolute MAX they should be looking at.

However, that is pure conjecture. The story did not mention that he has a 4 in hand. In fact, the only rumors I have seen (and I grant that rumors are just this side of worthless) has him with a 2 year in hand from Boston.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all hot stove of course but it does kinda lean towards my stance all along, which was that Carlos wouldn't be back.

I really doubt we make the big Fielder splash but if we did, think of the follow on benefits. You can then trade Belt for other help, and hopefully trade Huff for a bucket of balls so someone else pays the salary.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all hot stove of course but it does kinda lean towards my stance all along, which was that Carlos wouldn't be back.

I really doubt we make the big Fielder splash but if we did, think of the follow on benefits. You can then trade Belt for other help, and hopefully trade Huff for a bucket of balls so someone else pays the salary.

I do not see us getting a 1B. Huff will be in a contract / even year and Belt is still a top "prospect". 1B is the one position we do NOT need.

I have ZERO interest in either Fielder OR Poo Holes.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not see us getting a 1B. Huff will be in a contract / even year and Belt is still a top "prospect". 1B is the one position we do NOT need.

It's true (and a shame) we have no room at 1B, but we do need a bigtime bat and Beltran is third best out there (or maybe 4th) so if we aren't after him...ugh too tough to contemplate.

Reyes? Not sure I like that move either.

Cuddyer/Crisp/whatever...kinda weak sauce.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But you have to at least think that if we do sign Fielder, we could trade Belt as part of a package for say, BJ Upton and try to dump Huff somewhere.

CF-Upton
2B-Sanchez
C-Posey
1B-Fielder
3B-Sandoval
LF-Cabrera
RF-Schierholtz
SS-Crawford

And hey, 7 of 8 of those guys are under the age of 30.

This scenario is very unlikely, but nothing too out of the ordinary if we can get rid of Huff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Besides, that would break up our Happy Hour 1B trio of a Huff and a Belt and a Pill.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But you have to at least think that if we do sign Fielder, we could trade Belt as part of a package for say, BJ Upton and try to dump Huff somewhere.

CF-Upton
2B-Sanchez
C-Posey
1B-Fielder
3B-Sandoval
LF-Cabrera
RF-Schierholtz
SS-Crawford

And hey, 7 of 8 of those guys are under the age of 30.

This scenario is very unlikely, but nothing too out of the ordinary if we can get rid of Huff.

I would hate to lose Belt, but if SF can use him to land Upton, I am totally behind the move. Upton in CF for the Giants would be awesome.