• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants sign Span to 3 yr deal

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, the signing is official. No waiting for a physical.

No word about the corresponding DFA...

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, the signing is official. No waiting for a physical.

No word about the corresponding DFA...

So the roster is technically at 39 right? And Belt/Kontos are arbitration eligible which will put us to 41? So they wouldn't have to make a move until those guys sign a deal right?

Probably a reliever is gone, Broadway or Hall

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So the roster is technically at 39 right? And Belt/Kontos are arbitration eligible which will put us to 41? So they wouldn't have to make a move until those guys sign a deal right?

Probably a reliever is gone, Broadway or Hall
I have no idea if Belt and Kontos count towards the 40-man right now. My guess is that they do. But then again, technically, they do not have contracts.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea if Belt and Kontos count towards the 40-man right now. My guess is that they do. But then again, technically, they do not have contracts.
Both count toward the 40 man roster. The Giants still control the rights to them. Someone will have to be dfa'd. My guess is either Broadway, Hall, Law or Gregorio.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both count toward the 40 man roster. The Giants still control the rights to them. Someone will have to be dfa'd. My guess is either Broadway, Hall, Law or Gregorio.
I am thinking Gearin or Broadway.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this a lot. We really needed another CFer, not just an outfielder. Span isn't GREAT in CF but he is good enough. Not much to add from me, he should slot right into the lead-off spot, needs to stay healthy but if he does he'll be fine, really interested to see what this means for Pagan etc.

I will add, Span's batted ball pull/center/opposite field percentages in 2015: 34.1%/ 35.4%/ 31.4%. That'll fit just fine into AT&T Park.

Depends on his health. He's not just a capable fielder at his best. He wouldn't have done just okay at AT&T Park in the past. He was absolutely outstanding. He peaked at 20 defensive runs saved in 2012, and even with the bad hip last year, Inside Edge had him making two out of five chances at an unlikely play. He certainly passes the eyeball test according to the Fan Scouting Report too.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this signing for next year, but I have a feeling it's gonna look a lot like Pagan's over the life of it.....and then it won't be so good.

Reactions: LHG

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I approve all the way on this. Giants needed a legit OF, they got one, and as a bonus a CF. They didn't overpay. They needed 2 legit starters and they got those too.

They did what they needed to do, and on paper we are contenders. Now they gotta stay healthy and guys gotta perform how they are supposed to. And as always, we need some luck. #evenyear

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lame.
Hope I'm wrong.

You've been kind of down on most of their moves so far, haven't you? You gotta make moves to improve the club. Guys need to stay healthy and perform. Getting a legit OF was a need and they filled it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With a top 5 rotation and a top 5 bullpen.
This team has won 3 World Series' in the last 6 seasons, and this is the most promise they have had going into a season since '03.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team has won 3 World Series' in the last 6 seasons, and this is the most promise they have had going into a season since '03.

This is legit. This is the first time in my lifetime that I have seen the Giants actively spend according to their needs and field a team that really doesn't have weaknesses to it. Assuming health is 100%, the lineup is solid 1-8 and possibly 9 if MadBum is hitting, the pen is solid with depth in the minors, and our rotation is potentially as strong as 2010 IMO. The FO wasn't afraid to go after top notch players and they swung for the fences. I applaud their efforts regardless of the outcome. Although it's an even year so I should expect a Championship.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but this rotation does not hold a candle to that '10 rotation.

Timmeh 1.0
Matt Cain when he was still an uber-stud
Jonathan Sanchez before he completely self-destructed
Madison Bumgarner, the kid who bathe in champaign, but couldn't drink it.

Vs...

Bum, the legend
Cueto, hopefully not injured
Samardzija, the big tipper
Peavy, the 4IP wunderkind
Cain, the horse (racetrack or glue factory?)

I do like the fact that EVERY member of the rotation this year has been a legit Ace at some point in their career and have all started MULTIPLE season openers, except Can, who has only pitched one.

I wonder if there has ever been a rotation before with 5 pitchers with opening day start experience.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this signing for next year, but I have a feeling it's gonna look a lot like Pagan's over the life of it.....and then it won't be so good.

Well, at 31MM, he needs about 4.2 WAR to justify the contract. He could put up that much in 2016.

I'm not worried.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cubs say hi.

I can see the argument, but:

(Projected WAR 2016)

DSpan 3.3
JP 3.5
MVP 5.2
Herk 3.6
BB9 4.1
Stamos 4.3
Skeeter 5.0
Oxy 2.3
TOTAL 31.3

JHey 5.5
Soler 1.0
Bryant 4.8
Rizzo 5.5
Hulk 2.2
LaStell 1.1
Russell 3.5
Monty 1.7
TOTAL 25.3

WAR can be wonky, but I think this kind of captures the difference. The Chubbs have three studs, a nice young SS and LF with upside, and three guys who play baseball. We have no real holes. ON PAPER

Now, Addison and Hulk could explode and the Soler/La Stella/Montero could have career years.

Herk, Span and Panik could have lingering health issues; Duff/Stamos could regress. Oxy could crater.

But, ON PAPER, I think we have the best lineup in the NL. Injuries will tell the tale.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but this rotation does not hold a candle to that '10 rotation.

Timmeh 1.0
Matt Cain when he was still an uber-stud
Jonathan Sanchez before he completely self-destructed
Madison Bumgarner, the kid who bathe in champaign, but couldn't drink it.

Vs...

Bum, the legend
Cueto, hopefully not injured
Samardzija, the big tipper
Peavy, the 4IP wunderkind
Cain, the horse (racetrack or glue factory?)

I do like the fact that EVERY member of the rotation this year has been a legit Ace at some point in their career and have all started MULTIPLE season openers, except Can, who has only pitched one.

I wonder if there has ever been a rotation before with 5 pitchers with opening day start experience.
I think you're undervaluing Cueto...dude is pretty much a stud.

#noweaklink

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've been kind of down on most of their moves so far, haven't you? You gotta make moves to improve the club. Guys need to stay healthy and perform. Getting a legit OF was a need and they filled it.
Yes, I have been down on most of their moves and, in the case of Span, have stated my reservations on him since the end of the regular season. I'm not a fan of long term deals to pitchers and felt that Span was not much of an improvement over Blanco. Considering that the Giants will probably start Pagan in left or platoon him with Blanco, that is who Span essentially replaces in the lineup. While tzill mentions that Span was very good defensively a few years ago, I've heard that he's lost some of that in the past couple of years.
I know I've been a downer on these moves but come spring training and the regular season, I'll be rooting for them and hoping very much that each of them make me eat crow on my pessimism regarding their acquisitions. I'd much prefer that.