• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Giants sign FA Pitcher

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Names" these days are built by the people at ESPN, most of whom pay little to no attention to anything going on outside the New York or Boston Market (no, not the restaurant....lol). The Giants have had plenty of guys who have done enough to garner "names" over the last 5 years......Posey (3xChamp, MVP, Batting Crown Rookie of the Year), Madison Bumgarner, Hunter Pence, Pablo Sandoval, Matt Cain.......there are plenty of names. Just because 80% of ESPN's viewership is asleep by the time their games start, does not mean there are no stars on the Giants.

Watch, suddenly, this year, Pablo Sandoval will be a "name".....hmmmm....I wonder why.

I think he's talking about Names with numbers. Sandoval's numbers have been middling (.270, 13 or 14 HR). He's a name because he is quirky and comes up big on the big stage.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If given the choice between having "names" and NOT having "names", I will chose having "names".

But I would rather have chemistry and a FO that knows how to put puzzles together. And those appear to be characteristics that the Giants have in abundance.

Agreed, but we need to add some pop to the lineup after losing Morse and Sandoval.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We weren't counting FAs, if you read the discussion, who were already with the Giants because they already have been exposed to how great the atmosphere is here. Its outside Major FAs who don't come here. The Giants have always been able to re-sign their own FAs. .

Except, y'know, Sandoval.

So if you don't count him (and apparently you don't), the only FA the Giants have pursued who signed elsewhere of any note was Lester. If you can name one other we'll be surprised. As we know and you apparently don't, the Giants rarely try to sign big name FAs, especially in the last 5 years.

Once more, all together now: the only big name FA the Giants have tried to get in the last 4 years was Lester. If you can credibly show otherwise, please do.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's talking about Names with numbers. Sandoval's numbers have been middling (.270, 13 or 14 HR). He's a name because he is quirky and comes up big on the big stage.

Then perhaps he should say what he means. Regardless, Sandoval has been a name in the past, and watch.....he will become a bigger name now. I would almost bet money on that, numbers aside.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but we need to add some pop to the lineup after losing Morse and Sandoval.

So, in one discussion Sandoval's numbers are not worthy of being a "name", but in another they need to be replaced by someone with "pop"?

Which is it? lol

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except, y'know, Sandoval.

So if you don't count him (and apparently you don't), the only FA the Giants have pursued who signed elsewhere of any note was Lester. If you can name one other we'll be surprised. As we know and you apparently don't, the Giants rarely try to sign big name FAs, especially in the last 5 years.

Once more, all together now: the only big name FA the Giants have tried to get in the last 4 years was Lester. If you can credibly show otherwise, please do.

I wish they would; as for Sandoval, I wish him luck and he was fun to have around but I don't consider him a top of the line player. He's a good defender with middling offensive numbers since about 2009 I think. headley might have produced similar numbers and if the Giants didn't pursue him then, in my opinion, they should have. As it appears now, we are going into the season with an unproven 3rd baseman which I hope is not Adam Duvall.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If given the choice between having "names" and NOT having "names", I will chose having "names".

But I would rather have chemistry and a FO that knows how to put puzzles together. And those appear to be characteristics that the Giants have in abundance.

Look at the Red Sox and Yankees they have "names" and hasn't worked out well lately (When they had names 2004 and 2007 I wouldn't call them "names" like ESPN would)

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, in one discussion Sandoval's numbers are not worthy of being a "name", but in another they need to be replaced by someone with "pop"?

Which is it? lol
They just need to replace him with someone who will put up similar nubers as I believe Headley would have done. Same with Morse.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man......this "the Giants should have pursued this guy" argument that has been going on here might have the biggest moving target I have ever seen in an internet debate, and that is saying a lot.

So, Sandoval is not a top of the line player, but the Giants are going to get grief from you for not pursuing a guy who "might" produce similar numbers? lmao........

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sandoval provided pop?

Not much but he was a hitter that opposing pitchers had to pay attention to. I'd call him the 5th or 6th best hitter in last year's lineup when all were healthy. And when your 5th or 6th best hitter produces the numbers that Sandoval did you probably have a pretty good lineup.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man......this "the Giants should have pursued this guy" argument that has been going on here might have the biggest moving target I have ever seen in an internet debate, and that is saying a lot.

So, Sandoval is not a top of the line player, but the Giants are going to get grief from you for not pursuing a guy who "might" produce similar numbers? lmao........

Yes. He was probably the only option out there available for whom they wouldn't have to give someone of value in exchange.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust they have another plan in place. Even if that means giving up something of value......gotta let the whole thing play out before passing judgement. At least, that is how I typically handle it.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And thus the frustration from the regs on the board.

I think it was you (sorry if I am mistaken) commented yesterday that we, as a board, were pouncing on the new guy.

You were never pounced on like this, were you? Marco is a full-fledged member of the "reg-crew", but he did not come from Disney. And while he has had spats, I don't think they were ever directed at HIM as much as they were at what he was saying, and everyone moved on after the discussion.

We are pouncing on Montalbon because of what he is saying. HE is the variable in the situation, not the board.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think it was you (sorry if I am mistaken) commented yesterday that we, as a board, were pouncing on the new guy.

You were never pounced on like this, were you? Marco is a full-fledged member of the "reg-crew", but he did not come from Disney. And while he has had spats, I don't think they were ever directed at HIM as much as they were at what he was saying, and everyone moved on after the discussion.

We are pouncing on Montalbon because of what he is saying. HE is the variable in the situation, not the board.

Wasn't me......My spat was last week with tz. All I said is you guys are a tough bunch to crack.....but I can hold my own. Doesn't bother me.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I trust they have another plan in place. Even if that means giving up something of value......gotta let the whole thing play out before passing judgement. At least, that is how I typically handle it.

The Rays are having a fire sale; how about Longoria for 3B? Go after him.

BroncoInCALI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, and I did say "Positivity is not a strong point on this board".....but that was a joke.

And, yes......I would love to see us get Longoria.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well, I did jump on a long-time poster (longer tenured than me) for giving up on the season back in July. I jumped on him most of Aug and Sep. I *think* he's since forgiven me, but I don't know. At least we've moved on. This whole "I am right, why don't you agree with me without any facts" attitude is total BS. It really doesn't matter who is right, just suck it up, move on, and deal with it.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I did jump on a long-time poster (longer tenured than me) for giving up on the season back in July. I jumped on him most of Aug and Sep. I *think* he's since forgiven me, but I don't know. At least we've moved on. This whole "I am right, why don't you agree with me without any facts" attitude is total BS. It really doesn't matter who is right, just suck it up, move on, and deal with it.

Winning cures a multitude of issues.

I think that's what's happening with the 49ers at the moment, they are not winning (though ARE 7-7, which would lead the NFC South, yuk!), and so all the drama surfaces.

Some things are worth arguing about, and help our collective understanding. You, Marco, bring some very valuable insights into the rules about player movement. As the Book says, "as iron sharpens iron."

But this "he said/no I didn't/yes you did/did not/I am right/no you aren't" doesn't help anyone, and raises the temp of the board. More heat than light, so to speak.

I'd rather be wrong 100% of the time, and the Giants win another WS than be proven right 100% of the time and have the Giants lose all the time. And I have been wrong plenty.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that the Giants don't sign top end free agents is a sore subject around here. Don't take it personally. You have to admit though, 3 out of the last 5 ain't too bad.

I'm just waiting for the other shoe to drop, I think Sabean has a move or two left. Dont' think they overbid for the Korea guy, but some deals are still left to be made.

What I really find amusing is that 4 out of 5 of the posters on this board would rather insult each other rather than talking about the team. :rollseyes: Whatever gets you through the day I suppose.

Cue up the insults below, lets hear something original.