• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Ghana vs U.S.A.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Winner winner chicken dinner!

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad the USA won but I think Ghana played a better overall game. More TS, SOT, POS, CKs. Their offense missed a lot of touches and didn't hit the ball cleanly when near the goal. It was also clear the the US isn't a match for Ghana's speed.

Good news is Ghana is probably the fastest and most athletic team in the group, so they got that out of the way. No onto Portugal without their lead defender Pepe.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Glad the USA won but I think Ghana played a better overall game. More TS, SOT, POS, CKs. Their offense missed a lot of touches and didn't hit the ball cleanly when near the goal. It was also clear the the US isn't a match for Ghana's speed.

Good news is Ghana is probably the fastest and most athletic team in the group, so they got that out of the way. No onto Portugal without their lead defender Pepe.

Don't forget Coentrao and Hugo Almeida are done for the World Cup.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2014 World Cup ‏@2014WorIdCup 1h
USA now has a 63% chance to advance to the next round.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget Coentrao and Hugo Almeida are done for the World Cup.

Yup! We should put together some good sequences of attacks. Jozy Altidore if he could come back would be awesome.

I'm more worried about the defense. I just don't see anyone that can match up well with Ronaldo and Nani.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I need to find a good spot to watch the next one. The nanny is sitting here with me all day watching Germany destroy Portugal, asking why they don't wear helmets. I made her leave when USA took the field, but I can't sit through it again. My only soccer friend lives in DC so I am thin on options.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup! We should put together some good sequences of attacks. Jozy Altidore if he could come back would be awesome.

I'm more worried about the defense. I just don't see anyone that can match up well with Ronaldo and Nani.

Couple defenders were gimpy as well.....although that worked out well on the game winner. I'm just happy they we're playing it live in Thailand. When I'm traveling during the NFL season I'm generally screwed.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Easily... Ghana clearly played the better overall game, especially in possession. What I found shocking is that they were so lacking in the finishing department. Whether it was poor shot selections, shot executions, passes, control etc... USA got very fortunate that Ghana hadn't put one in every 15 mins. Ayew had a fantastic shot for the goal though, sweet setup and finish, it was bound to happen.

But USA got the two goals and that's soccer, its part of the game. I hope USA plays better ball possession next time.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A lot of the players in interviews were talking about it saying that the early goal was almost a bad thing. It put them in a defensive shell and then losing Jozy didn't help that. But I agree... we were out played. Beasly looked old and clumsy, and Bradley/Bekerman didn't have a great game.

It was only a matter of time before Ghana broke through and scored, but I wasn't expecting us to get back on top after that. Huge 3 points.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I haven't been following closely, but I watched a decent chunk of yesterday's game from work. Ghana looked faster, more fit, and infinitely better handling the ball - at least until it came time to finish. Our guys looked very sloppy both getting in position on defense and handling the ball on Ghana's side.

As far as going into a defensive shell, I hate that mentality. They were effectively playing for a tie, not even the win. Obviously losing Altidore hurt the offense, but you've got to keep putting some pressure on them. Particularly because the defense is probably Ghana's biggest weakness. Sitting back just allowed them to control the game. VERY lucky to come away from this one with a win, though I'll certainly take it.