• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Get Rid Of The Shift?

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best way to get rid of the shift, punch it to where the ain't

agree 100%, i can remember many time when Matt Carpenter came to bat with no one within 50 of the 3rd base bag and he still wanted to pull the ball. Bunt the down the 3rd base line and increase your BA. easy peasy

FakeBelieve

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,389.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I doubt you will find many Cardinal fans who would begrudge your frustration with that one. Absolutely a game-changing horrible call there.

I don’t remember the protest resolution on that. What happened with the protest? Obviously it was refused, but was there any explanation from the league?

I didn’t care. We lost the game. I think the trash on the field was more than just a response to the call.

Baseball is the most heartbreakingest sport.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this "get rid of the shift" is just major league whining. Stack all 8 defenders in the infield if you want. What's next? You can't move your OF around? Just keep the DH out of the NL and I'm good.
You're not going to be good starting next year then

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I was AT THE GAME. I remember laughing my ass off, then having to explain to the woman sitting next to me what had just happened. I am a bit embarrassed to admit that I had problems looking her in the eye. She didn't seem to mind however (considering the T-shirt she was wearing I'm not that surprised.) It was one of those games (seats) in AAA level *gifted* to me by the secretary of a guy that couldn't make the game. She'd call me and say "hey, he can't use the Thu night tickets, are you game?". It really sucked (for me) when she accepted a new job.

Wow, Cal, thx. I didn't think to google it. (I *was* at the game, though, so ...) In the video I *did* see two umps with arms in the air though, AND the manager yell at his players, so I guess my memory isn't as bad as I feel sometimes....

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember a game I was at almost 20 years ago where Bonds was at bat with the bases loaded and hit a HIGH infield popup. Ump called it (all the umps had one arm in the air, IIRC), the 2 or three converging infielders couldn't catch it (it dropped right in front of the plate and I guess that the catcher lost it in the sky/sun) so fair ball (they think). One of the opposing players grabbed it on the bounce, stepped on the plate for the force and then looked at first and/or second to keep the runners close (so they wouldn't tag up) and he slowly wanders back towards the mound (away from the plate). Whoever was on third (Neifi? Grissom?) just sort of walked towards home, then sprinted the last few feet and touched home. The ump called him safe. The two infielders (3B and catcher?) started arguing with the ump (the Giants runners advanced during the arguing). IIRC the homeplate ump even signaled an out when Bonds' popup hit the ground. Then the opposing manager came out of the dugout and started yelling AT HIS OWN PLAYERS because the infield fly rule had been called and signaled and so obviously the runner from 3rd was safe. I don't think I've ever seen a more pissed off manager at PacBell than that. IIRC, no timeout was called, so I was surprised that the other manager wassn't ejected for stepping on the field when the ball was live. But maybe I missed the call. Or just misremembering.
I did not know this part of the rule. I always thought that when the ball hit the glove or the ground that the runner could advance but would have had to tag up at that point. But that obviously is not the case. I know that if the ball had been caught the runner could have been doubled-up, that is why I thought hitting the glove or the ground was the same as being caught at the time.