• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT 6/25 Padres @ Giants

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comments in the San Diego Union Tribune article about the no-hitter are pretty hilarious. Padre fans are saying that there should be an asterisk when you throw a no-hitter against the Padres because they are not really a major league team. Another person said that this should happen to the Padres every week and that it's amazing that it took until the 79th game for it to happen. There's also a poll that asks which will happen first: a Padres no-hitter or Lincecum no-hitting the Padres for a third time. So far 96% picked a third Lincecum no-hitter.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While obviously to no-no was nice, strategically the win was of HUGE importance. Perhaps most importantly, hopefully it will put the team in a whole new frame of mind, and get the last two weeks out of our heads. The bullpen gets a rest. Posey is back. Timmeh challenged/inspired the rest of the starters to deliver.

Yeah, we really need this from Timmy now that Cain is struggling so mightily. We know Bum will be great. Vogey has been a pleasant surprise. I'm not yet worried about Tim Hudson. I'm confident he'll be back to winning ways soon.

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angry Boch must have really let loose in that meeting with the SPs on Tues. :heh:

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comments in the San Diego Union Tribune article about the no-hitter are pretty hilarious. Padre fans are saying that there should be an asterisk when you throw a no-hitter against the Padres because they are not really a major league team. Another person said that this should happen to the Padres every week and that it's amazing that it took until the 79th game for it to happen. There's also a poll that asks which will happen first: a Padres no-hitter or Lincecum no-hitting the Padres for a third time. So far 96% picked a third Lincecum no-hitter.

AWESOME!!

I may head over there. It sounds like they are actually having some fun with the situation (as much as they can, at least)

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tim Lincecum Throws No-Hitter ...Giants win 4-0

He is small in stature but carries the biggest heart of them all. He is that fun loving dude that bops around the dugout without a care in the world. He is that fuck yeah ....stick this in your pipe and smoke it pitcher for the Giants Tim Lincecum who just threw his 2nd lifetime No-Hitter against the Padres within the last year.

Lincecum was simply spectacular today in the sunshine at AT&T Park. He was on from pitch #1 and when it got to the 5th inning the whispers started about the kid who had become a grown man who just turned 30 years of age ten days ago. As he rolled through the 6th and then the 7th innings the whispers had become a full alert to all everywhere throughout the land. Lincecum's got one going ! ...and he has 2 hits on top of it all. In that 7th inning that lasted around 24 minutes people were wondering if it would affect his ability to get there. As he stood out at 2nd base you could feel Giants fans everywhere bitting their fingernails hoping someone would get him home and in the dugout for a breather.

Well it was Buster Posey his battery mate from his first No -Hitter in San Diego that doubled to deep center that got Lincecum home making the score 4-0 and a little wiggle room for the last two innings. Wiggle room Tim Lincecum don't need no freaking wiggle room. Lincecum rolled through the 8th and as he strode to the plate in the 9th the crowd went nutz. Again he reached on a 4 pitch walk and the fingernails got whittled down even more like you were anticipating the appearance of Jaws sitting in a movie theatre . Finally he got back to the dugout on a force play and the inning ended soon after.

The bell had sounded for the last round and the Peoples Champ headed for the middle of the ring. Three more outs to go and everyone was counting them down. One out....Two out...and that rumble of history rolled through the park. A ground ball to the rookie Joe Panik at 2nd base who fielded it cleanly and threw on the Posey at 1st for the final out of another masterpiece. He had done it again ...another knockout as his ringside teammates mobbed him in the middle of the field. Lincecum's line was even more impressive then his first No-No. 9 IP 0 R 0 ER 1 BB 6 SO on a cool 113 pitches.

After the game Hector Sanchez who was awesome behind the dish was asked why he did'nt pick up Lincecum like Posey did with a big bear hug. Sanchez with a sly smile replied "I thought I might hurt him". Lincecum joined his teammates in the clubhouse and put on his mid-evil mask throwing his fingers in the air as everyone yelled YES ! YES ! YES !

What a day this June 25th,2014 was. History was made as Lincecum now has 2 WS Championships, 2 CY Young Awards, and 2 No-Hitters joining only Sandy Koufax as the only other player in MLB to accomplish that feat.

Lincecum is back on top of the world again and he picked a great time to do it breaking a 5 game losing streak by the team at home. Never ....I mean NEVER count out the heart of a Champion.

Go Giants !!:yes::yes::yes:

:suds::clap::thrasher::boxing:

on youtube...

Rocky Theme Song - eye of the tiger (survivor)

Rock on Tim !! Rock On !!

Last edited by a moderator:

1phlapdown

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Timmy joins a select club: from espn

From Elias: Tim Lincecum joins Homer Bailey, Nolan Ryan and Sandy Koufax as the only players in the Expansion Era (since 1961) to throw 2 no-hitters within the span of a calendar year. [+]

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard that the only 2 pitchers to throw 2 no hitters, win 2 Cy Youngs and win 2 World Series titles are:

1. Sandy Koufax
2. Tim Lincecum

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Mays...

You gotta get used to another sticky for a year. Sorry...

Always happy to see a thread that I started get immortalized (well, for a year anyway).

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just heard that the only 2 pitchers to throw 2 no hitters, win 2 Cy Youngs and win 2 World Series titles are:

1. Sandy Koufax
2. Tim Lincecum

So Timmeh is the only RHP to do this. Ever.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

1. Sandy Koufax
2. Tim Lincecum

I was curious about this stat. I just got home, but I saw the stat that Tim was one of only 4 pitchers to throw 2 no-no's, have 2 Cy Youngs, but I was curious if any of the guys won 2 World Series. I knew Randy Johnson didn't, nor did Roy Halladay, but I wanted to double check on Koufax.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a performance from Timmy. 3 straight years of no hitters for this team?! Poor Padres, this is the 3rd time in the last 5 years our pitchers have no hit them.

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was curious about this stat. I just got home, but I saw the stat that Tim was one of only 4 pitchers to throw 2 no-no's, have 2 Cy Youngs, but I was curious if any of the guys won 2 World Series. I knew Randy Johnson didn't, nor did Roy Halladay, but I wanted to double check on Koufax.

Koufax had 4 No Nos, 3 Cy Youngs and 4 World Series -- but he and Timmy are the only 2 to have 2 or more in each catagory. That is the KNBR radio stat I heard (J Miller) this evening.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Koufax had 4 No Nos, 3 Cy Youngs and 4 World Series -- but he and Timmy are the only 2 to have 2 or more in each catagory. That is the KNBR radio stat I heard (J Miller) this evening.

It is correct, I double checked. Amazing, his (Tim's) career has been pretty amazing so far, and he's just turned 30.

2 Rings
2 Cy Youngs
2 No Hitters
2 ERA Titles
3 Strikeout Titles
4 All Star Games

It hasn't been pretty these last few years, but he's still one of the most accomplished Giants pitcher ever.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is correct, I double checked. Amazing, his (Tim's) career has been pretty amazing so far, and he's just turned 30.

2 Rings
2 Cy Youngs
2 No Hitters
2 ERA Titles
3 Strikeout Titles
4 All Star Games

It hasn't been pretty these last few years, but he's still one of the most accomplished Giants pitcher ever.

During the game today,I started thinking about his HOF chances. He is actually already pretty close. His trophy case is SUPER stuffed, and he was THE best pitcher in the game for 2 years.

I dont think he is in yet, but if he is able to become an above average closer for 4-5 years and add 150 saves to his resume, it may be tough to keep him out.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During the game today,I started thinking about his HOF chances. He is actually already pretty close. His trophy case is SUPER stuffed, and he was THE best pitcher in the game for 2 years.

I dont think he is in yet, but if he is able to become an above average closer for 4-5 years and add 150 saves to his resume, it may be tough to keep him out.

Wait. The guy just pitched arguably the best game of his life, and you're going to turn him into a closer?

Maybe he just figured something out, like actually throw strikes.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's 5 wins away from 100 wins. And has all the previous accolades I mentioned. He is on the right track. His trend the last few years would make me say NO to the HOF, but he is still only 30. If he can reinvent himself like the pitcher he was today, one that gets 13 ground-ball outs and mixes up his pitches (he only threw 38% fastballs), and pitches for another 8/9 years, it could happen. Obviously I don't think he's going to go out an throw no hitters all the time, and I don't want to overreact to one game against the Padres, but had something going today that he hasn't had since his Cy Young days. Boch saw it in the 3rd inning. He doesn't have the same stuff he did back then, or else he would have stuck out 15 today, but he showed that he can still get outs with location.

Again, I don't want to overreact. But I agree with Mays, kid just came off a no-no, you can't already banish him to the Pen. Give him a few starts. For his HOF chances, I'll re-evaluate it after he plays out this contract. By then, we will likely know if he is still a starter or reliever.

I still love this kid and would love nothing more than to see him successfully reinvent himself.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kruk and Kuip said the crowd just "lit up" as the game went along. Yeah, I'll bet they did, in Timmy's honor.

Meanwhile, 44 years ago...

Dock Ellis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

June 12, 1970, no-hitter

Self-reportedly under the influence of LSD, Ellis pitched a no-hitter against the Padres on Friday, June 12, 1970. The Pirates flew to San Diego on Thursday, June 11 for a series against the San Diego Padres. Ellis reported that he visited a friend in Los Angeles and used LSD "two or three times." Thinking it was still Thursday, he took a hit of LSD on Friday at noon, and his friend's girlfriend reminded him at 2:00 PM that he was scheduled to pitch that night. Ellis flew from Los Angeles to San Diego at 3:00 PM and arrived at San Diego Stadium at 4:30 PM; the game started at 6:05 PM.[5]

Ellis threw a no-hitter despite being unable to feel the ball or see the batter or catcher clearly.[24] Ellis said his catcher Jerry May wore reflective tape on his fingers which helped him to see May's signals. Ellis walked eight batters and struck out six, and he was aided by excellent fielding plays from second baseman Bill Mazeroski and center fielder Matty Alou.[25]

As Ellis recounted it:

I can only remember bits and pieces of the game. I was psyched. I had a feeling of euphoria. I was zeroed in on the [catcher's] glove, but I didn't hit the glove too much. I remember hitting a couple of batters, and the bases were loaded two or three times. The ball was small sometimes, the ball was large sometimes, sometimes I saw the catcher, sometimes I didn't. Sometimes, I tried to stare the hitter down and throw while I was looking at him. I chewed my gum until it turned to powder. I started having a crazy idea in the fourth inning that Richard Nixon was the home plate umpire, and once I thought I was pitching a baseball to Jimi Hendrix, who to me was holding a guitar and swinging it over the plate. They say I had about three to four fielding chances. I remember diving out of the way of a ball I thought was a line drive. I jumped, but the ball wasn't hit hard and never reached me.[26]

Ellis reported that he never used LSD during the season again, though he continued to use amphetamines.[5]

An animated short film by James Blagden about the game, "Dock Ellis and the LSD No-No", features narration in Ellis's own voice, taken from a 2008 NPR interview.[27]

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's 5 wins away from 100 wins. And has all the previous accolades I mentioned. He is on the right track. His trend the last few years would make me say NO to the HOF, but he is still only 30. If he can reinvent himself like the pitcher he was today, one that gets 13 ground-ball outs and mixes up his pitches (he only threw 38% fastballs), and pitches for another 8/9 years, it could happen. Obviously I don't think he's going to go out an throw no hitters all the time, and I don't want to overreact to one game against the Padres, but had something going today that he hasn't had since his Cy Young days. Boch saw it in the 3rd inning. He doesn't have the same stuff he did back then, or else he would have stuck out 15 today, but he showed that he can still get outs with location.

Again, I don't want to overreact. But I agree with Mays, kid just came off a no-no, you can't already banish him to the Pen. Give him a few starts. For his HOF chances, I'll re-evaluate it after he plays out this contract. By then, we will likely know if he is still a starter or reliever.

I still love this kid and would love nothing more than to see him successfully reinvent himself.

Trying to calibrate my feelings on Timmy...he's done this before in the last few years, pitched a gem and made us think he's 'figured it out', then 2 stinkeroos in a row.

He's not going to be consistent enough to get 80 more wins and make the HOF...it's possible I guess but my opinion is no. And could he get there as an elite closer for 5-6 years? Maybe, but again, is he elite closer material?

Let's be honest, the guy pitched a terrific game but it was vs a historically bad offense, at home, pitchers park, on a cold wet day with the breaking balls really biting and no carry on the ball.

Gotta give credit though, unlike most no-nos there was no defensive gem to save the game, no hard hit ball that Tim got lucky made an out. Every out was easy. Usually there's a play link Blanco's for Matt Cain's perfecto.