• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT 3/3 (64) Shanks vs Boo's

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I missed the game tonight but I noticed that galiardi played a sum total of 2:30. Was he hurt, or did he just suck?

No irony that you get rid of the 5th leading goal scorer on the team and they cant find any offense. Oh and the PK was clearly fixed too.

cant win if you cant score, and cant score if you have 1.5 lines and 7 or 8 wastes of space.

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweet I missed another stinker. The various NCAA basketball conference tournaments are just so much more entertaining than the Sharks right now.

I said fuck it and took my gal to the Symphony, way more entertaining than this pile of crap team!

MrFlyingV

Flying V God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its clear shaw and baby jay woodcraft dont have this teams attention what so ever

I wouldn't have their attention either. Shaw with the bald head and goofing looking Clark Kent black glasses and Woodcraft with his shoe polished black hair, they look like two cartoon characters.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
haha... yeah, rediculous dynamic duo!

Of course, no one has their attention. They won the first feb game and have gone 4-11 since then including losses to the worst teams in both the eastern and western conferences.

With the trade of mcginn, their offensive depth which totally sucked before now sucks more and the chickens have come to roost. Whenever pavelski, marleau, or cooch doesnt score, the sharks are SOL. No one else can score with any kind of regularity (a clowe goal here, a mitchell goal there, but rare).

I;ve said it before, against any team with a respectable defensive pairing on D (or 2), the sharks will basically get shut out every game or close enough to it. The only team that I can remember to succeed on the back of one line was the pizza line in ottawa, but that is pretty unique. The sharks business plan for hockey doesnt usually work.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I missed the game tonight but I noticed that galiardi played a sum total of 2:30. Was he hurt, or did he just suck?

No irony that you get rid of the 5th leading goal scorer on the team and they cant find any offense. Oh and the PK was clearly fixed too.

cant win if you cant score, and cant score if you have 1.5 lines and 7 or 8 wastes of space.

The PK was actually very good in this game. Probably the only good part of the Sharks game to be honest. A horrific bounce off the end boards cost them the first goal not much anyone could do about it. Second goal was a solid play.

You should watch the game. The Sharks had one consistantly effective line and it was the Mitchell-Moore-Winnik line. They held posession in the offensive zone a large majority of the time they were on the ice and created a bunch of scoring chances. The Sharks top two lines got brutally out played. Clowe was invisable, Thornton looked frustrated, Marleau was going 110% but couldn't do anything offensively, and Pavelski's name never got called except when he would turn the puck over. The 4th line that only got 3 or 4 shifts all game was more effective when they were on the ice than anyone in the top six except Wingels.

Shaw and Woodcroft should be canned just based on who they dressed and how they handled the lines. All this talk about sticking to the game plan of rolling four lines and what happens? As soon as the Blues scored their first goal they ditch that and panic. They cut to three lines then mixed and matched players about every other shift. It was a sad, sad display of coaching.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't see the game, but I'd be interested to know that as well. I don't know why they're using him as a grinder. I'd give him a shot on the top line with Pavs and Thornton. If he still sucks drop him back down.

lol, WTF??? You mean the same McGinn who had 2 goals and 2 assists in the last 20+ games? The one who was a part of the horrid 4-11 slide? Give me a fucking break.

Yup. Agreed there too. Too bad that there are at least 3 passengers (a lot of the times close to half the roster) a game for the Sharks. It's like a rotating band of who gives a shit tonight? No consistency in work ethic from the top down. Couture and Boyle are the only two who I can think of on the entire Sharks roster who try hard in at least 75% of the games.

Last edited by a moderator:

naes666

Fuck Raffi Torres
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shaw and Woodcroft should be canned just based on who they dressed and how they handled the lines. All this talk about sticking to the game plan of rolling four lines and what happens? As soon as the Blues scored their first goal they ditch that and panic. They cut to three lines then mixed and matched players about every other shift. It was a sad, sad display of coaching.

This reminds me of what we discussed in the last game thread, how are they supposed to develop chemistry if the lines are juggled so frequently...very frustrating!

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Didn't see the game, but I'd be interested to know that as well. I don't know why they're using him as a grinder. I'd give him a shot on the top line with Pavs and Thornton. If he still sucks drop him back down.

lol, WTF??? You mean the same McGinn who had 2 goals and 2 assists in the last 20+ games? The one who was a part of the horrid 4-11 slide? Give me a fucking break.

Yup. Agreed there too. Too bad that there are at least 3 passengers (a lot of the times close to half the roster) a game for the Sharks. It's like a rotating band of who gives a shit tonight? No consistency in work ethic from the top down. Couture and Boyle are the only two who I can think of on the entire Sharks roster who try hard in at least 75% of the games.

That is blatantly false. In his last 20 games as a shark, mcginn had 4G, 5A. Now, he was a -10 over the bad streak, so clearly his defensive game may been lacking and certainly was not a positive force during the bad stretch, though very few if anyone was. I'm not arguing that mcginn is some superstar who controls the fate of the sharks. However, lack of scoring from anyone other than the top 4 or 5 guys has been a major problem all year and mcginn was the only one of the bottom 7 or 8 who actually scored goals on any kind of semi-regular basis while also playing hard and throwing the body.

Thus far, galiardi, moore, and winnik have combined for 11 man games and have 0G, 3A, 6 PIMS. Frankly, that have been standard 4th liners. Now its early yet, but the sharks have shown no signs of coming out of their funk, and now they cant score to add to their problems at the other end and special teams.

I agree on the effort and consistency issue. However, how is that a new thing with guys like jumbo? That's been the knock on him for 14 years. Patty too. Pavs simply doesnt have the raw skill to be dominant regularly. I agree on cooch and boyle, though I think burns tries hard too as does most of the defense. Also, I think the bottom six, like mitchell, try hard, they just lack any semblance of offensive skill, so even if they try their best, they still wont score.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is blatantly false. In his last 20 games as a shark, mcginn had 4G, 5A. Now, he was a -10 over the bad streak, so clearly his defensive game may been lacking and certainly was not a positive force during the bad stretch, though very few if anyone was. I'm not arguing that mcginn is some superstar who controls the fate of the sharks. However, lack of scoring from anyone other than the top 4 or 5 guys has been a major problem all year and mcginn was the only one of the bottom 7 or 8 who actually scored goals on any kind of semi-regular basis while also playing hard and throwing the body.

Thus far, galiardi, moore, and winnik have combined for 11 man games and have 0G, 3A, 6 PIMS. Frankly, that have been standard 4th liners. Now its early yet, but the sharks have shown no signs of coming out of their funk, and now they cant score to add to their problems at the other end and special teams.

I agree on the effort and consistency issue. However, how is that a new thing with guys like jumbo? That's been the knock on him for 14 years. Patty too. Pavs simply doesnt have the raw skill to be dominant regularly. I agree on cooch and boyle, though I think burns tries hard too as does most of the defense. Also, I think the bottom six, like mitchell, try hard, they just lack any semblance of offensive skill, so even if they try their best, they still wont score.

Lol, sorry Rules, looked his game log up on my phone and thought they started from newest games to older games. :L. You are correct on McGinn's last 20 games. My bad.

Still, I stand by my point. If you blamed the last 3 losses on lack of scoring depth, I'd have agreed with you. If you say it's because of McGinn being gone, then I think that's nuts.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Lol, sorry Rules, looked his game log up on my phone and thought they started from newest games to older games. :L. You are correct on McGinn's last 20 games. My bad.

Still, I stand by my point. If you blamed the last 3 losses on lack of scoring depth, I'd have agreed with you. If you say it's because of McGinn being gone, then I think that's nuts.

Jamie Mcginn IS scoring depth (at least somewhat) Of course it's not just mcginn that has hurt the team. It's not like ginner would have scored 4 goals in those games and they win all. However, scoring depth also frees up the top guys. if a team has threats on 3 lines, it's harder to match up. I think that might be partly why the top 4 have suddenly gone cold too.

Oh and Sgarbossa is now the leading scorer in the entire OHL. If he can translate that into the pro game and ginner develops into a solid 20+ goal forward, this deal could go down as the worst in Doug Wilson's career.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colin White turd is still playing. That pretty much sums up the coaching staff. Vandy is playing forward. All others lines are in a constant blender. RETARDED.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Colin White turd is still playing. That pretty much sums up the coaching staff. Vandy is playing forward. All others lines are in a constant blender. RETARDED.

Icing a 4th line comprised of two LW's and a dman, which restricts the coaches ability to use that line down to almost never because there is no natural center, while at the same time two natural centers in Handzus and Desjardins are healthy scratches says everything you need to know about the ineptitude of Woodcroft and Shaw.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jamie Mcginn IS scoring depth (at least somewhat) Of course it's not just mcginn that has hurt the team. It's not like ginner would have scored 4 goals in those games and they win all. However, scoring depth also frees up the top guys. if a team has threats on 3 lines, it's harder to match up. I think that might be partly why the top 4 have suddenly gone cold too.

Oh and Sgarbossa is now the leading scorer in the entire OHL. If he can translate that into the pro game and ginner develops into a solid 20+ goal forward, this deal could go down as the worst in Doug Wilson's career.

True, he's part of a group that has to be depth scoring. This is where our disconnect comes. I really think Galiardi has potential on the top line with Thornton and Pavelski. He's got wheels and decent hands, but his shot is pretty poor. That move would also drop Wingels down to the 3rd line where he can do more damage and is better suited as well.

I really think that lines like this will yield good results.....especially if Todd would ever leave lines together and also truly spread out the minutes.

Pavelski-Thornton-Galiardi
Marleau-Couture-Clowe
Wingels-Handzus-Havlat
Winnik-Moore-Winchester

The speed and scoring would be more balanced and that 4th line would give others fits with their speed and tenacity. McGinn is being much better utilized on the Avs then Galiardi is on the Sharks. Hopefully the coaching staff will pull their heads out. Galiardi isn't a top line forward, but with Joe and Pavs doing a lot of the heavy lifting, he can just do what he does well. Him playing on a 4th line with a LW'er and a Defenseman is not really giving him a chance to succeed.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
True, he's part of a group that has to be depth scoring. This is where our disconnect comes. I really think Galiardi has potential on the top line with Thornton and Pavelski. He's got wheels and decent hands, but his shot is pretty poor. That move would also drop Wingels down to the 3rd line where he can do more damage and is better suited as well.

I really think that lines like this will yield good results.....especially if Todd would ever leave lines together and also truly spread out the minutes.

Pavelski-Thornton-Galiardi
Marleau-Couture-Clowe
Wingels-Handzus-Havlat
Winnik-Moore-Winchester

The speed and scoring would be more balanced and that 4th line would give others fits with their speed and tenacity. McGinn is being much better utilized on the Avs then Galiardi is on the Sharks. Hopefully the coaching staff will pull their heads out. Galiardi isn't a top line forward, but with Joe and Pavs doing a lot of the heavy lifting, he can just do what he does well. Him playing on a 4th line with a LW'er and a Defenseman is not really giving him a chance to succeed.

I largely agree with you in many areas. Obviously galiardi needs to play more than 2:30 and with reasonable other players. I'd like to see him matched with cooch actually since they both are quick and tough on the forecheck and galiardi is a bit more of a passer which fits well with cooch's sniper game.

That said. The lines you pointed could be effective based on two major assumptions:

1. Havlat can skate. His injury has hurt a huge amount, and if he comes back ineffective, that third line will be a total waste of space.

2. Galiardi can play top line minutes. The last two years he has shown zero top line ability. 29 points, -12 in 93 games over the last 2 seasons. He might have the potential to play on a top line, and at this point, I have no problem giving him a shot at it (hell winchester even got a chance), but I am skeptical that he can play on that line right now and be effective.

Unfortunately, no matter how you rearrange the pieces, the personnel is clearly lacking.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Something to keep in mind when looking at Galiardi's numbers from last season is he broke his wrist twice. Even in the few games he played he was never 100%.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I largely agree with you in many areas. Obviously galiardi needs to play more than 2:30 and with reasonable other players. I'd like to see him matched with cooch actually since they both are quick and tough on the forecheck and galiardi is a bit more of a passer which fits well with cooch's sniper game.

That said. The lines you pointed could be effective based on two major assumptions:

1. Havlat can skate. His injury has hurt a huge amount, and if he comes back ineffective, that third line will be a total waste of space.

2. Galiardi can play top line minutes. The last two years he has shown zero top line ability. 29 points, -12 in 93 games over the last 2 seasons. He might have the potential to play on a top line, and at this point, I have no problem giving him a shot at it (hell winchester even got a chance), but I am skeptical that he can play on that line right now and be effective.

Unfortunately, no matter how you rearrange the pieces, the personnel is clearly lacking.

True, but it is what Doug has built. My lineup was just me trying to make the best of what the Sharks have. If I were GM, obviously there would be a lot of changes.

Galiardi hasn't really shown that he's a top line player, it's just where I think he'd be most effective on this current team. That said, he hasn't really ever been given a fair shake at top line minutes if I'm not mistaken. I think ideally, he'd be a good 3rd line player. Obviously, it's fair to be skeptical, like said, I think it's the best spot for him on this roster.

I'm not very quiet about my disdain for Joe Thornton as a hockey player. If it were up to me, he'd be gone in a heartbeat. I'm not wild about Marleau, but I think he can be serviceable and at least he scores. Thornton is just absolutely maddening. When he moves his feet and skates with passion, backchecks hard and goes hard to the net he's one of the top 5 centers in the league. Unfortunately, he only plays with passion against Detroit. He could be an absolute beast when he wants to be.....it just doesn't happen often. Then you factor in his horrid leadership skills and it just puts me over the top. I hope he turns it around and makes me look like an idiot (which is not hard to do, lol). I'd gladly eat crow about Thornton because it would mean the Sharks won something. I think Thornton is a good person, he seems to have good work/life balance and also seems to be a very nice guy who helps and respects others off the ice.

I don't get as frustrated at Marleau because he's a guy who can skate hard and has a rocket shot and can play defense. He has nowhere near the ceiling that Thornton has imho. If he just tried harder on a more consistent basis, I think Marleau would have fully developed into what he was supposed to be. 35-40 Goals and 35-40 assists is what I think his skill set merits.