• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game 8 - Boston College @ Virginia Tech

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. The road to Charlotte is looking pretty straight and smooth right now...

GT has to play @ Miami this week, Clemson the following week. That could be two L's making out game with them almost meaningless (assuming we beat everyone else).

UNC (already with loses to GT and Miami) still has to play Clemson and us at home on a Thursday night.

Miami (already with 2 L's, one to us) has to play GT and FSU.

UVA still has to play FSU and us.

If GT loses its next two games we can lose one ACC game down the stretch and still be in Charlotte on Dec 3rd. What a difference a week makes.

It is actually much easier...we just beat everyone else on our schedule ;)

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no matter how bad BC is in a given year, or how good we are...the BC game always makes me nervous.

vtpoop

Same poop, different day
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright football gurus, answer me this. Maybe this is just me being stupid, but I just had a thought.
Does it actually hurt us that we played a Wake Forest team missing its top-flight RB Josh Harris, and will face a BC team missing its top-level RB in Montel Harris, and then a Duke team that relies on the pass before we play GT? In other words, that's three straight games against teams without much of a running threat before we play the triple option. Just wondered if our banged-up defense might get a false sense of security before playing against the Yellow Jackets?
I know, I'm a worrywart.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright football gurus, answer me this. Maybe this is just me being stupid, but I just had a thought.
Does it actually hurt us that we played a Wake Forest team missing its top-flight RB Josh Harris, and will face a BC team missing its top-level RB in Montel Harris, and then a Duke team that relies on the pass before we play GT? In other words, that's three straight games against teams without much of a running threat before we play the triple option. Just wondered if our banged-up defense might get a false sense of security before playing against the Yellow Jackets?
I know, I'm a worrywart.

I think it actually helps us. Guys get banged up a lot more playing a physical running team. It will also allow us to rest some guys up front and get them healthy while giving the back ups much needed experience. Also having the bye week before GT will be a huge help. The coaches won't let the guys think they have them figured out until the Friday after...

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I know, I'm a worrywart.

I think it would be more problematic to play top power running backs before playing GT because GT is all about the system and schemes more so than running style. Like Nick said, we need to get healthy and playing these teams helps us do that. Then we have 10 days to practice against the triple option and understand assignments. That is what it will come down to. Players knowing and executing their assignments rather than actually facing a good running back.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be that worried about it. One thing our defense actually has done very well this year is tackle. Light years better than last year. I have a lot more faith in this unit once they are all healthy

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The early injuries are also creating depth for when these guys return. The freshmen DTs are playing well. LB has good depth but the secondary is thin so that is what worries me.

bigesse16

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The early injuries are also creating depth for when these guys return. The freshmen DTs are playing well. LB has good depth but the secondary is thin so that is what worries me.

The secondary is like the DL. Talent is there, but very inexperienced. We still have Hosley, Hill, Fuller, Whitley, Exum and then Bonner, Jarrett, Aromire, Norman, and Hopper. Hill and Hopper are solid backups and the other guys are freshmen who just need the game experience.

ACC_HOKIES

4 ACC Championships
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I know, I'm a worrywart.

No effect in my opinion. The defense isn't going to forget how to tackle, and will have plenty of tackle drills before GT anyway.

Georgia Tech's offense, like every offense, requires adequate preparation to successfully stop. The difference is, that Paul Johnson's offense is a completely different philosophy that what we typically see in every other game. That requires extra time. It's not just the option itself, or the number of runs, that make it so unique on our schedule. You must account for the cut blocking strategy, the mix of balanced and unbalanced formations, misdirection, speed, and the 4th down strategy. Foster's game plan will be a change from what we usually do anyway (see below), so our actual opponents no more help or hurt than playing a more productive prostyle running game the next two weeks.

Our problems with Georgia Tech stem from our overall philosophy and build. Foster built this defense to handle pro style and more balanced spread offenses. They want to stop the run, attack the quarterback, and cause enough chaos as to create a turnover. That strategy is null when the opponent refuses to throw and doesn't fumble. So, it's been harder to get a big advantage in turnovers or field position and we end up battling a close game. Foster's challenge is finding an advantage and the players executing it. Without that defensive advantage we'll end up relying on the offense to hold the ball and score.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No effect in my opinion. The defense isn't going to forget how to tackle, and will have plenty of tackle drills before GT anyway.

Georgia Tech's offense, like every offense, requires adequate preparation to successfully stop. The difference is, that Paul Johnson's offense is a completely different philosophy that what we typically see in every other game. That requires extra time. It's not just the option itself, or the number of runs, that make it so unique on our schedule. You must account for the cut blocking strategy, the mix of balanced and unbalanced formations, misdirection, speed, and the 4th down strategy. Foster's game plan will be a change from what we usually do anyway (see below), so our actual opponents no more help or hurt than playing a more productive prostyle running game the next two weeks.

Our problems with Georgia Tech stem from our overall philosophy and build. Foster built this defense to handle pro style and more balanced spread offenses. They want to stop the run, attack the quarterback, and cause enough chaos as to create a turnover. That strategy is null when the opponent refuses to throw and doesn't fumble. So, it's been harder to get a big advantage in turnovers or field position and we end up battling a close game. Foster's challenge is finding an advantage and the players executing it. Without that defensive advantage we'll end up relying on the offense to hold the ball and score.

I'm sure there will be much more time to talk about GT later, but London/UVA had a very good gameplan and executed it well. I watched the game in its entirety and UVA OWNED the line of scrimmage which was the difference in the game. They tackled well, ran the ball well, defense was disciplined in the gap assignments, and they minimized the big play. Minus a pick six, the game wasn't even as close as the score showed. Hats off to ML. It was a well coached game and he had his guys ready. If I was Frank and Bud, I would study the tape of that game VERY hard when we go into the bye week...

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BC - 13
VT - 37

Detrick Bonner gets an INT. Oglesby gets a solid 15-20 carries. Wilson might be over the 1,000 yard mark at halftime (at 903 now) If VT consistently gets pressure on Rettig this score will get even more lopsided.

Jhalf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
You guys think Wilson breaks the season rushing record this year? Anybody know the career rushing record off the tops of their heads?

EvanGWatkins

757 Hokie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You guys think Wilson breaks the season rushing record this year? Anybody know the career rushing record off the tops of their heads?
Yes he will break the single season if he stays healthy. The career record was Cyrus Lawrence 3,767 yards

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes he will break the single season if he stays healthy.

I would say yes as long as we make the ACC Champ game. Not many more games on the schedule where he would be taken out early, save UVLOLA

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say yes as long as we make the ACC Champ game. Not many more games on the schedule where he would be taken out early, save UVLOLA

Kind of off topic but whenever i see your name, i think it says chokie, not ckhokie (and then i think who is the UVA fan infiltrating our board??) haha

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of off topic but whenever i see your name, i think it says chokie, not ckhokie (and then i think who is the UVA fan infiltrating our board??) haha

Ahh definitely not my intentions! And one Jeffro is enough.

NickVT10

annnnnnnd its gone
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gayle is done for the day