• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Game 3 @ Roracle 4/24 730p PST Tip off

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is the Sky Falling? Did we expect to sweep Flop City?

Folks calling for Jackson to be fired, are just silly. How would you like to be a Knicks fan, or one of any of the other teams that didn't make the Playoffs? Jackson got this team to the playoffs for the 2nd straight season, with a 50+ win season which hasn't been done in how many years?

I'd expect a bounce back performance, barring the Ref's letting Floppy Griffin fall down on Steph every play, it will be a more competitive game.

Keep the hate out of the thread, if you want to insult other posters, do it in another thread for the sake of the board.

WORD.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Folks calling for Jackson to be fired, are just silly. How would you like to be a Knicks fan, or one of any of the other teams that didn't make the Playoffs? Jackson got this team to the playoffs for the 2nd straight season, with a 50+ win season which hasn't been done in how many years?

I'd expect a bounce back performance, barring the Ref's letting Floppy Griffin fall down on Steph every play, it will be a more competitive game.

Keep the hate out of the thread, if you want to insult other posters, do it in another thread for the sake of the board.

WORD.

Wrong question -- better one:

How would you like to be a Spurs fan?

THAT'S what we should be aiming for.

bigjoerico

72 is my year!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Warriors are trying to follow the Spurs recipe for success and I've even heard Coach Jackson mention it. But it takes time especially coming from the bottom where the Dubs have been at.

Nice post NBK....

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Warriors are trying to follow the Spurs recipe for success and I've even heard Coach Jackson mention it. But it takes time especially coming from the bottom where the Dubs have been at.

Nice post NBK....

Welcome to the Playoffs Joe!, we need more positive vibes going, where the other long timers at? Just lurking in the shadows?

With Bogut out, and a weaker bench, I knew at the start of this series it was going to be a tough battle. I honestly though we would lose in 5 games. After game 1, it seemed like we could actually take 2 games. So its going to be interesting to see if the Dubs can hold home court.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welcome to the Playoffs Joe!, we need more positive vibes going, where the other long timers at? Just lurking in the shadows?

With Bogut out, and a weaker bench, I knew at the start of this series it was going to be a tough battle. I honestly though we would lose in 5 games. After game 1, it seemed like we could actually take 2 games. So its going to be interesting to see if the Dubs can hold home court.

We still have a chance to win this series. Just one game at a time! We believe!

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

WORD.

Its not that they lost, its the way they lost. Jackson's complete ineptitude as a strategist was on full display for all to see. You simply cannot hide that level of incompetence from your head coach. I would be stunned if he is the coach next year.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not that they lost, its the way they lost. Jackson's complete ineptitude as a strategist was on full display for all to see. You simply cannot hide that level of incompetence from your head coach. I would be stunned if he is the coach next year.

What would you have done different, strategy-wise? I'm in agreement, but I'd like to hear what you think Jackson should have done in terms of his strategy.

UgOtBuCkEd21GoRe

49ersMichiganDubsA's
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dubs need to come out hungry! Dominate from tip off. Can't afford another slow start. Roaracle will be rockin. Best home court in all the nba. I'll be at the game and expect to lose my voice. Curry steps up and goes for 40 tonight! Book it!

CohanHater

Long Time Warrior Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you have done different, strategy-wise? I'm in agreement, but I'd like to hear what you think Jackson should have done in terms of his strategy.

Bring Blake in to cool off the press the moment Klay got his 2nd foul, go small and push the ball. Let his team know that they need to take care of their point guard. Speights finally threw an elbow but the intimidation was already there. Get a T when Blake falls on Curry for the 2nd or 3rd time instead of letting the game slip away. Have an adjustment to break the press? You can't lose a playoff game by 40. You just can't :gaah:

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bring Blake in to cool off the press the moment Klay got his 2nd foul, go small and push the ball. Let his team know that they need to take care of their point guard. Speights finally threw an elbow but the intimidation was already there. Get a T when Blake falls on Curry for the 2nd or 3rd time instead of letting the game slip away. Have an adjustment to break the press? You can't lose a playoff game by 40. You just can't :gaah:

That's actually a gripe I have with Jackson also. He says things in the post game or pregame with respects to situations, but in game, he'll never take a T to either fire up his team or make a point to the refs. It's a strategy that a coach has to use every now and again, imo.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Set your phasers for stun...

There may have been a chance they would fire him if they came into the playoffs at full strength and laid an egg, but the fact that they are taking the Clips to 6 games (at least) without their best defender/starting center means Jackson will get another year.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Set your phasers for stun...

There may have been a chance they would fire him if they came into the playoffs at full strength and laid an egg, but the fact that they are taking the Clips to 6 games (at least) without their best defender/starting center means Jackson will get another year.

This, they won 1 road game at Flop City, where Flop city was 35-7 at home this year or something ridiculous, Dubs aren't at 100%, but folks want to point the fingers at Jackson for 100% of the blame.

SMH.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think X's and O's are going to be the key to the Warriors pulling off an upset, and beating a superior team. No doubt Curry will play off the ball more, they'll run Paul through screens to tire him out, and teammates will be quicker to flash open when the double team comes to Curry. That will help, but let's face it. Curry needs to be great for the Dubs to have a chance in this series and that hasn't happened so far. This isn't the first time he's been trapped this year, or his career for that matter, and he just seems to wilt under defensive pressure at times. Turnovers, bad passes, sloppy play. In fairness to Curry, he's often also battling the nemesis of excessive minutes in many instances, but he just has to be more secure with the ball, and make better decisions. 3rd quarter Curry needs to the be norm, not the exception for the Warriors to stand a chance against a better team.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This, they won 1 road game at Flop City, where Flop city was 35-7 at home this year or something ridiculous, Dubs aren't at 100%, but folks want to point the fingers at Jackson for 100% of the blame.

SMH.

Not 100%, but he's a problem that needs to be improved. Along with Lee. There are other problems, but those two are the most glaring.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think X's and O's are going to be the key to the Warriors pulling off an upset, and beating a superior team. No doubt Curry will play off the ball more, they'll run Paul through screens to tire him out, and teammates will be quicker to flash open when the double team comes to Curry. That will help, but let's face it. Curry needs to be great for the Dubs to have a chance in this series and that hasn't happened so far. This isn't the first time he's been trapped this year, or his career for that matter, and he just seems to wilt under defensive pressure at times. Turnovers, bad passes, sloppy play. In fairness to Curry, he's often also battling the nemesis of excessive minutes in many instances, but he just has to be more secure with the ball, and make better decisions. 3rd quarter Curry needs to the be norm, not the exception for the Warriors to stand a chance against a better team.

This is EXACTLY why x's and o's are important in this series. The players are the one's who go out and make the plays, but it's the coaches and their scheme's that put the players in the best positions to succeed. Curry is getting the majority of the Clips attention, which means that if they're just relying on Curry or anyone else to just figure it out then we have no chance.

If you're the coach of the team and your star player is being shut down, you have to figure out a way to counter it. You can't just tell the guy "hey, play better". Why is he turning the ball over more? Because they're essentially doubling him up high once he passes half court. Why is his scoring so low? It's because the Clips are forcing the ball out of his hands.

These are things that have to be addressed, and it's as much a part of the strategy of the team as it is on any one player.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think they will be addressed tonight. But a trap or a double team isn't exactly a sophisticated defensive scheme, and there is only so much scheming you can do as a coach. Players play the game, not coaches. Curry is an experienced player, who doesn't need to be coached on how to beat a trap or double team. Neither do this teammates. That's basketball 101.

The Warriors have a pretty mediocre offensive team outside of Curry, Thompson and Lee. Are their peripheral players good enough to make the Clippers pay for their strategy of suffocating Curry? Warriors came out flat footed and unprepared against a more talented and deeper team and got whupped.
That's on Jackson and his staff.

Curry has to be great in this series for Dubs to have a chance though, and he hasn't been. The coaches have to help him, but he has to play better, period. Better decisions, better passes, more agressive like he was in Q3, and secure the ball.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I think they will be addressed tonight. But a trap or a double team isn't exactly a sophisticated defensive scheme, and there is only so much scheming you can do as a coach. Players play the game, not coaches. Curry is an experienced player, who doesn't need to be coached on how to beat a trap or double team. Neither do this teammates. That's basketball 101.

The Warriors have a pretty mediocre offensive team outside of Curry, Thompson and Lee. Are their peripheral players good enough to make the Clippers pay for their strategy of suffocating Curry? Warriors came out flat footed and unprepared against a more talented and deeper team and got whupped.
That's on Jackson and his staff.

Curry has to be great in this series for Dubs to have a chance though, and he hasn't been. The coaches have to help him, but he has to play better, period. Better decisions, better passes, more agressive like he was in Q3, and secure the ball.

The majority of the problems with the scheme come from the unsophisticated offensive sets. Trapping and double teaming is pretty standard, but when you're obviously not having any success against it, you've got to try to run a different set. Instead of running the p&r down their throats till it works, try having some weakside movement. Maybe try a double screen. Maybe have a slip screen. Maybe let Curry give the ball up early, only to go back to him on a backscreen.

You don't even have to come up with a complex offensive set, just some minor alterations in order to free up some movement and give the defense different looks.

I agree Curry has to play better, as does pretty much the entire team. I'm under no illusions that the players have to play great in order to win this series. That's a given. But the mental aspect of the game is just as important in the playoffs. You can't win in the playoffs without BOTH the players playing well and the coaches coaching well.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt Curry will play off the ball more, and they'll make Paul chase him through screens, so he has to work harder on defense. Jackson probably shouldn't have been fooled by what happened in game one where they did burn the Clips a number of times, despite coughing the ball up on numerous occasions. The popular mantra at the moment though is that a bad result is because of Jackson's poor grasp of basketball strategy, offensive schemes etc. If the Warriors lose this series no doubt that will be the hue and cry heard all over Warriorsland. I personally don't think this series will be lost because Doc Rivers has outschemed Mark Jackson. I think it will be lost because Chris Paul is the best player in this series and the Clips top to bottom are simply a superior team, particularly with Bogut out.

CitySushi

Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt Curry will play off the ball more, and they'll make Paul chase him through screens, so he has to work harder on defense. Jackson probably shouldn't have been fooled by what happened in game one where they did burn the Clips a number of times, despite coughing the ball up on numerous occasions. The popular mantra at the moment though is that a bad result is because of Jackson's poor grasp of basketball strategy, offensive schemes etc. If the Warriors lose this series no doubt that will be the hue and cry heard all over Warriorsland. I personally don't think this series will be lost because Doc Rivers has outschemed Mark Jackson. I think it will be lost because Chris Paul is the best player in this series and the Clips top to bottom are simply a superior team, particularly with Bogut out.

100% agree with your entire post.

The only reason I would entertain any short comings of Jackson would be if he doesn't make the proper adjustments as mentioned above. As I've said in other posts any playoff series is a chess match. The Warriors simply did not adjust from game 1 to game 2 as you eluded to in your post. I fully believe it's within his capabilities to adjust. I'm interested to see what they do (offensively and defensively).

Also just my opinion, but I believe Griffin is the best player in THIS series. Paul is the better player, but Griffin is more important to the Clippers success against the Warriors than Paul.

NBKLee

Head Idiot In Charge
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you guys have it all wrong, they need to play better defense, which will create open floor run outs for our wings.

Flop City doesn't have an open floor finisher like AI#9, they have Griffin on the block. We need to get the board and run out more. Even HB looks better finishing in transition vs his low post efforts.

Easier said than done I know, but if the Dubs run at home tonight, they will win. Book it.