• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agents

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an earlier thread, I made some massive mistakes about salary hits, so I'll do this again.

Keep:

Cliff Avril - I incorrectly applied his salary earlier, but I still think that keeping him is worth more than the $2 million that will be saved from releasing him (before I incorrectly stated it would cost more to release than to keep).

Marshawn Lynch - No need to explain his production, but the team would save $4 million to release him. I think he's more than worth that money, and if his production drops next year, then the team could save $7.5 million off the next season's cap.

Zach Miller - Willson isn't ready to be the #1 TE yet, and there just doesn't seem to be a really good reason to release him, as there are much easier decisions to be made with players who contributed less and make more.

Release:

Sidney Rice - Release. Sign him back at a lead minimum if desired, but save the $7.3 million on the salary cap and let him test the market to see if he has ANY value.

Chris Clemons - I'd hate to do it, because I really think he's been great, but he just didn't produce as he has been and there just is too great a need for the money elsewhere. Again, re-sign him at a cap friendly contract, but most likely he'll be somewhere else. Save $7.5 million.

James Carpenter - He just hasn't lived up to what Carroll and Cable thought he would. Releasing him will save $1.4 million off the cap.

Red Bryant - Another guy I'm not sure I want to see walk away, but at a cap hit of $8.5 million, it's hard to see how his performances the last two season justifies that. Potential of saving $5.5 million with his release.

These moves free up $21.7 million on the cap, add that to the estimated $5 million space available, and that give the Hawks $26 million to spend.

Re-Sign/Restructure/Extend:

Michael Bennett - He had a monster year, and the team needs to bring him back. I'm not sure what he's gonna want this time around, but he should easily command $5 million.

Earl Thomas - Carroll said that extending Thomas was the top priority, and though some people expressed surprise that it wasn't Sherman, it makes great sense. Thomas will already be making $4.5 million, so any increase will not be as big a hit as Sherman would hit on the cap.

Golden Tate - Not sure if it's really possible, as I imagine he's gonna want to make a lot of money. He's a playmaker, and he's gonna make good money, and I expect it to be in the $4-5 million a year range (at least).

Doug Baldwin - Give him a qualifying offer, I believe a second round tender is around $2 million.

Steven Hauschka - He's coming off the best kicking performance in team history, and he was a very important part of what the Seahawks did this year.

Walter Thurmond, Tony McDaniel, Clinton McDonald - All were solid contributors, and could potentially be brought back fairly cheap, though each has a situation where they could/should make good money as well. Re-sign if affordable.

Walk:

Breno Giacomini, Paul McQuistan, O'Brien Schofield, Tarvaris Jackson, Brandon Browner, Kellen Davis, Anthony McCoy, Michael Morgan & Michael Robinson though wouldn't mind seeing Jackson or McCoy back (though not against any of them).

Doublejive

Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cliff Avril - I incorrectly applied his salary earlier, but I still think that keeping him is worth more than the $2 million that will be saved from releasing him (before I incorrectly stated it would cost more to release than to keep).

We signed him to a two year deal last year.

Edit:I see you are saying if we release him.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We signed him to a two year deal last year.

Edit:I see you are saying if we release him.

Yes, Seattle saves only 2 million if we cut Avril. So, is Avril better than what we could get for $2 million? I believe he is. With all the changes that will happen before next year on the DL, I think that Avril will be a good guy to keep.

I'm not as scared of losing the McD brothers with the fact we have Williams who should come back from his injury and Jordan Hill if he progresses from this season, so there's still young talent at the DT position. Also, with the improved play of Malcolm Smith this season (and he was great the last half of the season), do they move Irvin back to DE to make up for losing (potentially) Chris Clemons?

Seahawksgal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In an earlier thread, I made some massive mistakes about salary hits, so I'll do this again.

Golden Tate - Not sure if it's really possible, as I imagine he's gonna want to make a lot of money. He's a playmaker, and he's gonna make good money, and I expect it to be in the $4-5 million a year range (at least).

Just heard Golden on the phone on KJR and they asked him about this. To paraphrase his answer (he admitted he shouldn't probably say this) his response was that he loves Seattle so much and he would be willing to take a little less to be happy and win games and championships than go after the money to another city with crappy fans and not as good of an organization. But at the same time he doesn't want to be disrespected as he still wants to take care of his family. He also said that that's why he has an agent, and he does plan to talk to Pete and Schneider.

He did sound really sincere in what he said, so we shall see. What is his making now?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Red Bryant - Another guy I'm not sure I want to see walk away, but at a cap hit of $8.5 million, it's hard to see how his performances the last two season justifies that. Potential of saving $5.5 million with his release.

:eyebrows:

STBR 27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just heard Golden on the phone on KJR and they asked him about this. To paraphrase his answer (he admitted he shouldn't probably say this) his response was that he loves Seattle so much and he would be willing to take a little less to be happy and win games and championships than go after the money to another city with crappy fans and not as good of an organization. But at the same time he doesn't want to be disrespected as he still wants to take care of his family. He also said that that's why he has an agent, and he does plan to talk to Pete and Schneider.

He did sound really sincere in what he said, so we shall see. What is his making now?

I am not sure what he is making now, but I am pretty sure he will not get what he wants from the Hawks and will get more elsewhere.

This is all the crappy, business side of the NFL, we are going to lose players we as fans love, but have to have faith in Carroll and Schneider to keep who we must and keep a championship team on the field.