• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Four Seasons Loco Coffee and Total Landscaping Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tucson voted to increase their police budget after weeks of protests calling for it to be reduced. There was another protest in response to that last night, where protesters got pinned in on the freeway and gassed. I went on Monday, but decided to not cancel a virtual game night I'd planned with friends last night, and now I'm really struggling with my guilt over that.

I have severe anxiety and have had anywhere between 3 and 6 concussions, and I really struggle with physical conflict. But I'm also big and strong and white, and I feel a responsibility to be putting my body on the line and protecting the more vulnerable physically. My gentle nature feels like a betrayal, and my anxiety like cowardice, and I hate it.

On Monday, I did get between cops and protesters, but then crumpled in an anxiety attack. I felt so weak. And I feel even weaker, and selfish besides, for not going and doing it again on Wednesday. I've been doing the letter/email writing, calling reps, donating to causes, and voting from the most consistent and informed position possible for years, and none of it has done anything. But I've been too scared to put my body on the line, and I hate myself for that.

Mannnnn, this is hard to read. Hang in there. I'm confident that I'm quite a bit older than you but have many of the same experiences. Except for being tall of course. It sucks to feel like you have a quality that can't be put to good use in times like this. But here's the thing. Your physical strength ain't shit. It's bordering on unnoticeable. No offense. You're overlooking your true value.

It's pretty obvious that you're educated and bright. You, and your community, would be better served if you took an hour a day just thinking of ways that our societies can work better. I get that you're not an economist by trade; your degrees aren't in sociology or public policy. Doesn't matter. Mine aren't either. I have two kids now and time is at a premium. I don't have time for community engagement on the scale that I'd like. I need to take care of things at home. But I DO take at least 10 minutes (sometimes up to 120 minutes) a day to think about how fucked up my governments are, and ways that things could, would and should improve (Alberta is completely fucked right now BTW and our Feds are mediocre at best).

You take one hour a day and I can almost guarantee that within a month you'll have an idea that is valuable...to you and possibly to your jurisdiction(s). Either way, guilt be gone!

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I got a great deal on a ryobi leaf blower last august... arrived just before labo(u)r day...its first use was to wake up my kids on back to school day ... they would have screamed FASCIST at me if they could catch their breath :thumb:

blindbaby

i want to bang on the drum all day
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thankfully this lady got last place in the vote last time.

Deanna Lorraine: "Anytime an elite person (Bill Gates) says these conspiracy theories aren't true, that's an admittance that they are in fact true"

Deanna Lorraine: *"Bill Gates just said that he agrees with our conspiracy theory!!! Holy shite, it must be true if Bill fricken Gates agrees with it!!!"

*ok, that last quote was to illustrate a point in parody; Bill Gates never actually agreed to anything that dimwit ever said....at least I hope so.

Status
Not open for further replies.