• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

For you NBA experts/superfans, and also Nuggets fans

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fantastic article...tons of cool stuff about the game (especially its modern incarnation), not just the subject of the article. And I definitely changed my calculus on Embiid vs Jokic after reading it.

If you read this and say you didn't think it was worth your time you're a big fat liar

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good trivia question from, the article...Jokic is the lowest drafted player to win MVP, at 41st pick. Before him who was the previously lowest drafted MVP? (Wilt and Oscar were drafted as 'territorial picks', they don't count)

Hint: it's 2 players taken at that draft position

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good trivia question from, the article...Jokic is the lowest drafted player to win MVP, at 41st pick. Before him who was the previously lowest drafted MVP? (Wilt and Oscar were drafted as 'territorial picks', they don't count)

Apparently Moses Malone doesn’t count either, was drafted in the ABA instead of the NBA… My early guess is Steve Nash, but since it’s two guys that’s probably wrong.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hate watching Embiid play.

I love watching Jokic.

No metrics involved.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can only honestly think of one other play that was picked outside of the lottery, and that is Giannis.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fantastic article...tons of cool stuff about the game (especially its modern incarnation), not just the subject of the article. And I definitely changed my calculus on Embiid vs Jokic after reading it.

If you read this and say you didn't think it was worth your time you're a big fat liar

Great article. Thanks for sharing. Jokić is truly a unique professional athlete. He just doesn't fit the mold in so many ways, yet he has found success in some unparalleled ways.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jokic is just fascinating to watch... what hands and court sense. There's just never been anyone like him.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jokic is the NBA version of the old heavyset dude on the pickup courts that no one thinks can play until he cooks them. lol
Did you read the article? It's about more than just him. He can't jump but apparently his hands are lightning fast unlike that old dude on the pickup courts. He also has all time great level touch around the basket.

I learned some of the drills they use in Serbia training NBA players, some cool stuff in there.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jokic is just fascinating to watch... what hands and court sense. There's just never been anyone like him.
He is the classic 'unicorn' for sure

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is the classic 'unicorn' for sure

How does he see the things he sees so quickly... and he has such soft hands. Guys were speculating about his relative value here.. imo with an average center that team would be lucky to win 30 games. This is OT but I've become a real NBA fan the past few months and some of the current stars, including him, are the reason. The game is much more entertaining than I remember.. talking 15-ish years ago when the Pistons started sucking and I stopped paying attention.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How does he see the things he sees so quickly... and he has such soft hands. Guys were speculating about his relative value here.. imo with an average center that team would be lucky to win 30 games. This is OT but I've become a real NBA fan the past few months and some of the current stars, including him, are the reason. The game is much more entertaining than I remember.. talking 15-ish years ago when the Pistons started sucking and I stopped paying attention.
The on court product is definitely more fun IMO (and many others' opinions)

With some rule changes and the emphasis on 3 pointers it opened the game up, lots more movement and space, the days of throwing it into a big guy down low and standing around are done, ISO ball is much rarer, etc. It's gotten to where the offense is almost too easy (scoring is at all time highs) and they are considering tweaks to give defenses a chance again.

Watching bigger guys who can make great passes has always been fun, from Magic Johnson to LeBron to now Luka and Jokic and others

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we’re talking about Jokić here, from my Nuggets’ fan perspective:
— 5- 6 years ago when Nuggets fans were saying Jokic’s IS a great player, I was like, really? Maybe he can become very good, but I don’t see great. I was super late to join the fan club. I’m saying that simply to say I understand that people don’t “warm up” to his overall game immediately. And some never will.
— I was super critical of his whining to refs, especially earlier in his career. He still does, but not like he did 5 years ago. It seems like almost every player believes they have to get on the refs or they will be taken advantage of. I’m old and not a fan of it.
— His workout routine is interesting. After every game he lifts weights for 45 minutes. There have been times when the Nuggets had to jet off for a back to back game, and the team had to wait for him to complete his workout. I understand that Peyton Watson now joins him after the games to work out.
— I hear people say he has no personality. That would please him to hear that! He wants to play basketball and pretty much be left alone to his family, friends, and teammates. But he has a great sense of humor, for instance last night after the game he said (without cracking a smile) “I’m a freak of nature”.
— I’m cynical about pretense of humility. I’m also absolutely certain Nikola is confident in his talent, and believe he truly doesn’t care about personal statistics and awards. Last year when people were telling him that he should have won the MVP and not Embiid, he totally shut them down saying Joel earned it and to say otherwise was just mean.
— If you’re bored some time and want to smile, google Jokic passing highlights. As Nuggets fans, I think most of us just are waiting for his next highlight pass, there seems to be one at least every other game. It does lead to turnovers at times as he will project where he thinks a player will be and sometimes that doesn’t connect.
— From a friendship with a teammate, it’s obvious that Aaron Gordon is his closest friend. I know of at least two times Gordon has gone to Serbia to hang out with Jokic and become friends with his family. Recently I saw where he said Gordon was “like a true friend”. I took that to mean more than a teammate.

Probably boring to most fans of other teams, but thought I would share a few thoughts on being a fan of his.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we’re talking about Jokić here, from my Nuggets’ fan perspective:
— 5- 6 years ago when Nuggets fans were saying Jokic’s IS a great player, I was like, really? Maybe he can become very good, but I don’t see great. I was super late to join the fan club. I’m saying that simply to say I understand that people don’t “warm up” to his overall game immediately. And some never will.
— I was super critical of his whining to refs, especially earlier in his career. He still does, but not like he did 5 years ago. It seems like almost every player believes they have to get on the refs or they will be taken advantage of. I’m old and not a fan of it.
— His workout routine is interesting. After every game he lifts weights for 45 minutes. There have been times when the Nuggets had to jet off for a back to back game, and the team had to wait for him to complete his workout. I understand that Peyton Watson now joins him after the games to work out.
— I hear people say he has no personality. That would please him to hear that! He wants to play basketball and pretty much be left alone to his family, friends, and teammates. But he has a great sense of humor, for instance last night after the game he said (without cracking a smile) “I’m a freak of nature”.
— I’m cynical about pretense of humility. I’m also absolutely certain Nikola is confident in his talent, and believe he truly doesn’t care about personal statistics and awards. Last year when people were telling him that he should have won the MVP and not Embiid, he totally shut them down saying Joel earned it and to say otherwise was just mean.
— If you’re bored some time and want to smile, google Jokic passing highlights. As Nuggets fans, I think most of us just are waiting for his next highlight pass, there seems to be one at least every other game. It does lead to turnovers at times as he will project where he thinks a player will be and sometimes that doesn’t connect.
— From a friendship with a teammate, it’s obvious that Aaron Gordon is his closest friend. I know of at least two times Gordon has gone to Serbia to hang out with Jokic and become friends with his family. Recently I saw where he said Gordon was “like a true friend”. I took that to mean more than a teammate.

Probably boring to most fans of other teams, but thought I would share a few thoughts on being a fan of his.
You'd really enjoy the article then (a lot of what you posted is in there)

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you read the article? It's about more than just him. He can't jump but apparently his hands are lightning fast unlike that old dude on the pickup courts. He also has all time great level touch around the basket.

I learned some of the drills they use in Serbia training NBA players, some cool stuff in there.

Haven't yet. Going to read it this evening.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were on the right track then you had to add the Nuggets fans