• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

For a guy who is about to be fired

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it depends on who you ask. Mike would say he has done nothing but support RG3. RG3's dad would say that Mike, through Kyle, has left RG3 out to dry through the play calling.

I do think the leak that Mike was prepared to leave after last year was a leak that came from Mike or his camp. While that was more a shot over the bow of Dan, it was a piss poor thing to do right before a game. Mike has a history of playing games like this and makes it very easy to see why Mike needs to go.

I really am torn. Its not just this. On the football side, we suck. And while I understand some of the mitigating circumstances, there are still coaching things that we suck at (like not addressing STs all year or a terrible defense for 4 years). So its not just the RG3/Snyder issues that concern me. But if Mike stays, I'm ok with it, assuming dan commits to him by giving him an extension.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say look at thid from Mikes point of view for a moment. If Im him I dont quit, if Snyder wants me out I also dont take a settlement. Worst case he fires me, and I make $7 Million to take the next year and decide if i want to go back into coaching. Best case, I keep my job. Where i already have a contract. Maybe I get an extention, and maybe I dont. Either way I make $7 million in 2014. Yes I likely have to fire some people, maybe even my son. But If I play my cards right, might not even have to do that. yes Haslett will have to take the bullet, but I think I stocked his bank account pretty well over the last four years.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is plenty of blame to go around. The truth is nobody can really figure out how much 36 million in cap penalties hurt us. I'm willing to bet it hurt more than anyone here really understands. It already starts us with about 85% of the ability as other teams. In a league where parity is the goal, starting 15% less is a huge penalty.

From there, RG3's injury may have played a bigger role. He was truly incredible his rookie season but he's obviously not the same yet. I think he's fully healed physically but mentally he still doesn't trust the injury. He also didn't have time to work on fundamentals he really needed. I have consistently said I believe he could have done more "mentally" in the offseason but I do believe the injury played a huge role.

I still like Mike Shanahan because I like "my way or the highway coaches." I hope he looks for a better DC; however, I'm not sure if Haslett has been given a fair shot...also because of cap penalties. The STs coach has to go.

Snyder has improved tremendously but I don't think he truly understands what Mike is trying to do with the TEAM because Snyder isn't an athlete and doesn't understand the importance of TEAM and not the individual.

Blunt8384

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it depends on who you ask. Mike would say he has done nothing but support RG3. RG3's dad would say that Mike, through Kyle, has left RG3 out to dry through the play calling.

I do think the leak that Mike was prepared to leave after last year was a leak that came from Mike or his camp. While that was more a shot over the bow of Dan, it was a piss poor thing to do right before a game. Mike has a history of playing games like this and makes it very easy to see why Mike needs to go.

I really am torn. Its not just this. On the football side, we suck. And while I understand some of the mitigating circumstances, there are still coaching things that we suck at (like not addressing STs all year or a terrible defense for 4 years). So its not just the RG3/Snyder issues that concern me. But if Mike stays, I'm ok with it, assuming dan commits to him by giving him an extension.

This is why I think the sports media in Washington is made up mostly of bafoons...Everyone is reporting that Mike has to go because the relationship is "toxic". But no one has cared to ask why is it toxic? If RG3's camp is claiming that the Shanahans would throw away a season by calling bad plays for Robert that makes no sense. There fates are more or less intertwined. Shanahan has so little motive to do such a thing it is hard to even consider. How would that benefit him? If anything the opposite is more likely. On Chris Cooley's radio show he pointed out that there were a few read option runs that RG3 decided to slide or run out of bounds that in Cooley's opinion Robert could have easily cut up field for 20 yards but elected not to. In that scenario RG3 would have motive to make a particular play look bad if he wanted to strong arm the coach into eliminating plays he didn't want to run for whatever reason.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is what i see

our qb coach doesnt improve our qbs . the same thing i saw at MSU from KC still show up here

i wont go to Rg3 because the injury could have hurt the coaching

our wr coach still cant get our guys to catch a ball

the o/line coach avgs 38 sacks given up in 16 years

the d/line coach has done little to develop our young d/line in the pass rush game

the DC routinely has lower 20 ranked defenses

our ST's are the worst in nfl history

if some of these things arent changed then expect more of the same

Blunt8384

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is what i see

our qb coach doesnt improve our qbs . the same thing i saw at MSU from KC still show up here

i wont go to Rg3 because the injury could have hurt the coaching

our wr coach still cant get our guys to catch a ball

the o/line coach avgs 38 sacks given up in 16 years

the d/line coach has done little to develop our young d/line in the pass rush game

the DC routinely has lower 20 ranked defenses

our ST's are the worst in nfl history

if some of these things arent changed then expect more of the same

Yes there are a variety of problems for a variety of reasons. It is such a mess that I think you have to disect and look at each problem in and of itself to find the root of the problem. All I'm saying is its can be very easy to just point the finger at the head coach when there are so many circumstances at play. One thing this team hasn't tried is long term stability.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes there are a variety of problems for a variety of reasons. It is such a mess that I think you have to disect and look at each problem in and of itself to find the root of the problem. All I'm saying is its can be very easy to just point the finger at the head coach when there are so many circumstances at play. One thing this team hasn't tried is long term stability.

stability is important . firing shanahan doesnt support stability . but this staff isnt getting it done

Blunt8384

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
stability is important . firing shanahan doesnt support stability . but this staff isnt getting it done

The only person on the Staff this year different from last year is the special teams coach and last year we won a division title. Its the chicken or the egg argument. I would argue the talent is the main culprit. In football, in some ways, your only as strong as your weakest link. This team has some seriously weak links, namely secondary and offensive line. I believe we could plug some of those weak links in an off-season.

Now to your point..I do agree that in my opinion the defense has underachieved over the last 4 years. However I don't think its because we should be running a 4-3 like some people believe. I mean can you imagine Rack and Kerrigan playing defensive end? They would get destroyed in the run game.

I would love to see a Gregg Williams or Rex Ryan come in to run the D. I think it would be smart to find a coach that can do more with less with the part of the game they coordinate. Shannahan is a great offensive coach, I would love to pair him with a great defensive coach. When the Saints paired Sean Payton with Gregg Williams they won the super bowl.

As for special teams I am not really educated enough to know if I agree with the schemes they employ. All I know is Cooley has said it looks to him like mostly a personnel problem. Guys running down on coverage looking lost and not expecting their blocks. Guys that don't really want to be on teams but we are forcing them to play teams. Again that could be the "Depth" issue of the salary cap penalty.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only person on the Staff this year different from last year is the special teams coach and last year we won a division title. Its the chicken or the egg argument. I would argue the talent is the main culprit. In football, in some ways, your only as strong as your weakest link. This team has some seriously weak links, namely secondary and offensive line. I believe we could plug some of those weak links in an off-season.

Now to your point..I do agree that in my opinion the defense has underachieved over the last 4 years. However I don't think its because we should be running a 4-3 like some people believe. I mean can you imagine Rack and Kerrigan playing defensive end? They would get destroyed in the run game.

I would love to see a Gregg Williams or Rex Ryan come in to run the D. I think it would be smart to find a coach that can do more with less with the part of the game they coordinate. Shannahan is a great offensive coach, I would love to pair him with a great defensive coach. When the Saints paired Sean Payton with Gregg Williams they won the super bowl.

As for special teams I am not really educated enough to know if I agree with the schemes they employ. All I know is Cooley has said it looks to him like mostly a personnel problem. Guys running down on coverage looking lost and not expecting their blocks. Guys that don't really want to be on teams but we are forcing them to play teams. Again that could be the "Depth" issue of the salary cap penalty.

i like the 3-4 just not the way haslett runs it . it is passive aggressive