• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

football rules question

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If a player is trying to get off the field before a play begins....can he get off the field on the other teams sideline to avoid a too many men on the field penalty?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting question, have never seen it come up. Might be a rule against being on the other team's sideline, entirely.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe so, players are required to be inside that one area of the field. Boxed off by the dotted lines I believe. Which is why when the guy realizes he's not supposed to be there at the Goalline he runs as fast as he can towards the bench, instead of the nearest sideline or even out of the back of the endzone.

OK, after a quick look at the rule book.
Players leaving the game must be out of bounds on their own side, clearing the field between the end lines, before a snap or free kick. If player crosses end line leaving field, it is delay of game (five-yard penalty).
Rulebook player substitutions

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
thanks man.......that clears that up. I'm surprised i've never seen a violation of this type before.....has anyone seen this happen before?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I might have seen someone get the 5 yard delay of game for running out of the endzone. That seems familiar to me for some reason. Or maybe a coach was just calling for that penalty?

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't believe so, players are required to be inside that one area of the field. Boxed off by the dotted lines I believe. Which is why when the guy realizes he's not supposed to be there at the Goalline he runs as fast as he can towards the bench, instead of the nearest sideline or even out of the back of the endzone.

OK, after a quick look at the rule book.

Rulebook player substitutions

This is awesome, Three! I tried to find a rule book on the web and came up empty. Is it out there?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is awesome, Three! I tried to find a rule book on the web and came up empty. Is it out there?

The only one I know of is the one I quoted from, at NFL.com

NFL Rulebook

From there you have the 4 Categories; Digest of Rules, NFL Official Signals, Beginner's guide to Football, and Football Basics.

The Digest of Rules covers pretty much everything you'll see get penalized and why it did. That's where I pulled the quote about substitutions.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The only one I know of is the one I quoted from, at NFL.com

NFL Rulebook

From there you have the 4 Categories; Digest of Rules, NFL Official Signals, Beginner's guide to Football, and Football Basics.

The Digest of Rules covers pretty much everything you'll see get penalized and why it did. That's where I pulled the quote about substitutions.

Cool, Thanks!