• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fins Draft Choices - OLB/ILB

Paolo305613

Hoopla Cash
$ 130.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this thread I will cover both the OLB and ILB positions. I will list the best guys by position based on my opinion which will also translate to who I think the Fins should get and in what order of preference.

I believe C.J. Mosley is the best ILB available by far - The margin between him and the second best guy is gigantic. He is expected to go in the first round. He will probably be gone before the Fins pick.

I will give Denzel Perryman an honorable mention because he is Cane. Ranked as the 5th best ILB and expected to go in round 3.

Max Bullough from Michigan State is another potential steal in the 5th round. Like Perryman, he is a guy that just simply makes plays. There is a red flag on his name currently as he was just sent home for violating team rules.

As for the OLB’s

Anthony Barr out of UCLA is the head of the class and another expected to go before the Fins pick. Khalil Mack from Buffalo is the second best - Expected to go late in the first. There is a really big drop off talent wise from there.

I will cover DE’s and DT’s tomorrow.

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe C.J. Mosley is the best ILB available by far - The margin between him and the second best guy is gigantic. He is expected to go in the first round. He will probably be gone before the Fins pick.

The vast drop off in stopping the run from last year is due to the LB's that the Fins signed (according to a recent article in the Miami Herald). Ellerbe has 6 million in guaranteed money in 2014 & 3 million in 2015. At this point, the Fins can only hope for the best with him for this year & next year. LB Wheeler has 5 million guaranteed next year. What I'd do is wait until the 2015 draft & use the top pick on the best LB avail if these guys don't improve with stopping the run between now & then. I'd play the top rookie & release one of the two guys at that point if need be. I remember watching Wheeler early in the season & thinking this guy has great quickness, he's going to be a playmaker. He & Ellerbe could still become what the team needs (let's hope).

FanofPelicans

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The vast drop off in stopping the run from last year is due to the LB's that the Fins signed (according to a recent article in the Miami Herald). Ellerbe has 6 million in guaranteed money in 2014 & 3 million in 2015. At this point, the Fins can only hope for the best with him for this year & next year. LB Wheeler has 5 million guaranteed next year. What I'd do is wait until the 2015 draft & use the top pick on the best LB avail if these guys don't improve with stopping the run between now & then. I'd play the top rookie & release one of the two guys at that point if need be. I remember watching Wheeler early in the season & thinking this guy has great quickness, he's going to be a playmaker. He & Ellerbe could still become what the team needs (let's hope).

The Fins' coaching could also be a factor RE the performance of the new LB's. They are viewed by many as faster players & better playmakers then the LB's they replaced. I preface this by saying that some stats are misleading because for example: if the other team is punting rather than keeping drives going that doesn't pad the stats Re tackles. Wheeler is having the same production as he did at Oak last year with one less game played (besides two less sacks & 2 less forced fumbles) He's got solid tackle for loss & pass defended stats. To preface this statement: Ellerbe's team played extra games on the SB run 17 compared to 14 he's played so far this year. Ellerbe has had a big drop off in production from last year at Balt. He has alot less solo tackles this year 91 at Balt compared to 63 with the Fins & 8 less tackles for loss, plus 3.5 less sacks. He may the type of player that shines in playoff games, hopefully the Fins make the playoffs. Philbin said the LB's were brought in to be "playmakers" To Ellerbe's credit his fumble recoveries & pass defenses are slightly up & he has one more INT already this year with a game left to play. As I initially said coaching could be a factor with these guys. Next year they will each be on their 2nd year in the Fin's system so that could help their production also.

Last edited by a moderator: