• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ferentz....

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so in almost every thread we hash about Ferentz, stay or go, go or stay, etc. I for one have been on both sides of the fence many times. My biggest disappointment in Ferentz is consistency. He built a 10 win team, and although I know it's unrealistic to maintain that, he should at least be in the 8 win range every year. With that said, here is Ferentz's most successful against foes.

10 wins – Minnesota (10-5)
8 wins – Penn State (8-4)
7 wins – Michigan State (7-5)
7 wins – Indiana (7-5)
7 wins – Iowa State (7-8)
6 wins – Purdue (6-4)
6 wins – Wisconsin (6-6)
5 wins – Illinois (5-3)
5 wins – Michigan (5-5)
5 wins – Northwestern (5-7)

Minnesota should be a given, Penn State is kind of a surprise, Indiana should be better, Iowa State is my PISSED off moment, shouldn't have lost a single game to them. Purdue/Wisconsin/Illinois is about right, Michigan again a surprise considering before Ferentz took over we only had 8 wins in the history of the series. Northwestern, well Fitzpatrick is building a little dynasty there and at least he's maintaining it.

He's 6 and 4 in bowl games, a couple of Big 10 titles.

I seem to think he's willing to change enough to get back on track. If what has currently transpired this year is work towards being a more flexible head coach I'm back on his side. No matter what happens the rest of the year record wise, so long as I don't feel like we got "out coached", then that would be progress.

Thoughts?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I've stood up the guy for a long time, this year is my make or break year. I like what I'm starting to see. Iowa is bringing speed to the program ala Powell, the young d line is starting to step up and we already have more explosive plays this season than we've had in the last 3 combined. Iowa needs to beat MSU, atleast split the Wisconsin/Northwestern games and split the Michigan/Nebraska games and beat the crap out of Purdue and I'll consider this season a very good season.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problems I've had with Ferentz have always centered around the same things:

1) Too Conservative
2) Clock Management
3) Special Teams

This year we've seemed to open up the playbook on both sides of the ball a bit so #1 seems to have been remedied, at least for the time being.

Haven't noticed any real clock management issues this year thus far.

Special teams......eh. Notwithstanding the KMM 2 TD game, I still don't see much improvement there. We have a solid kicker but yet again I feel like we're always losing field position battles due to shitty punt/kickoff returns and coverages. The only explanation I can come up with is a lack of quality depth on the Iowa teams. Although now I'm seeing several starters out there. Still, it's a point of contention....this needs to be fixed and is a good reason why we've lost so many close games in the last few years.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I too agree with what you all have posted. I've been critical of KF for awhile now for allowing the program to fall flat on its face. The coaching errors and the lack of effective recruiting - especially in terms of speed - are two of the biggest points of contention that I have with KF.

What I see with this years version:

- Sure seems like KF is letting go of some aspects of the play book. And the results have been pretty positive as a result of that
- Seems to be using offensive and defensive talent to its maximum effect
- Eating up the clock on offense by running many more plays than our opponents
- I'm really pleased about how well Iowa is converting its third downs on offense!!!!!
- The D-Line (an area that I thought would be a weakness) continues to improve to the point of a strength
- Iowa's LBs get to shine now that they have a developing D-Line in front of them!!!!!

+ Given divisional play for the past few seasons, and the looming conference realignment coming, I still feel that Iowa should be a lock for 9 wins EVERY season. Plus an excellent bowl game at that rate!
+ I'd still like to see KF get the offense to average 35+ points per game
+ I'd also like to see more speed come in that rivals Powell's on the outside....BUT....the need to have speed in the backfield is obvious. I love what Weisman is doing, but I feel that the program could really use a speedy group of RBs
+ I'd also like to see Iowa's special teams make significant strides: blocking a punt/field goal attempt, punt returns, and kickoff returns. I've got to think that Iowa's punter is going to start turning the corner and flip the field position in Iowa's favor.

This is starting to look like a strong November team that KF has on his hands. And here's hoping that KF keeps the momentum moving forward. I really like Iowa's chances against Michigan St. To the point where Iowa might put up big points. After all, the Michigan St offense is pretty bad.

Go Hawks!

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the only trouble with MSU is their defense is pretty good, so this might be a low scoring affair in the end, but yeah I would love to see Iowa hang 35 on them to their 14 or 17...I have to think it might be more a 17 to 14 game though or even 10 to 7 type...just have to bring it every play

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawkeye,

Yes, the MSU defense is good! However, I just have this feeling that Iowa's defense is going to force turnovers and either score...or give Iowa a short field to work with. I just see a healthy mix of Iowa scoring TDs and Meyer kicking a number of field goals.

I anticipate Iowa's defense improving again.

I also am waiting for Rudock to throw for his first 300-yard game with three passing TDs.

For the yards that Weisman is generating...would love to see him get in the end zone a bunch to reflect that production.

I thinks this will be a dominant win by Iowa Saturday. A game where the score indicates that dominance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa dominates this game and wins 2-0 on a punt block that goes through the endzone... lol.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or hey, how about COACHING the stupid special teams to both play for a fake and then return the punt? Every other team in the country does it, I don't understand that mentality at all. Overreaction to a problem that can be fixed by COACHING.

hoopsalot25

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone,

KF brought in Chris White to be the RBs and Special Teams coach. White has a ton of experience as a special teams coach. Sure looks like White is being over ruled on game days - especially on punt returns. I wonder what the punt return team would look like if White was calling the shots! If White was ineffective at being a special teams coach...why bring him into the program in the first place? If he was that highly recommended...might as well let him do his job as the special teams coach. Seems too simple to me.

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't be logical Hoops, it's KF's team and he doesn't want to return punts! LOL This is a monumentally embarrassing mistake.

HawkeyesRuleURFace

Avid Basketball Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we all suffer from Bi-Polar disease...one week we are ecstatic, the next we are wondering WTF just happened

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going back to 2010, six successful fake punts against....

I can't recall the six, but we all remember Wisconsin pulling one off in a game we should have won.

Mich State this year was a bit of a momentum grabber, although we couldn't go anywhere offensively for most of the the game.

More than the fake punts, I recall several onside kicks we failed to cover. Western Michigan's, Iowa States to name a few..

Special teams have been a complete disaster and the sad part is, the onside kicks, you know it's coming, the fake punts are the ones that don't show up as obvious...obviously..but you have to protect against it at all times.

I'd be happy if we never returned another punt but at the same time, never gave up another fake. It's almost a joke now. Hell Wisconsin was so confident they could pull it off, they ran it when from their own 26 and the proceed to go and score the game winning TD...

Ugghh..I need more beer to even discuss anything further special team failure related topics..

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with HRUF, it's so roller coaster, just annoying, either be really good or really bad, glad there is no game this weekend myself, gives me a nice break

Hawkeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we are all, after all, the coaches behind the screen, but it just seems that the money making guys have their heads in the sand; how can a coach continually get fooled and then just vent to the media that he will not do punts anymore, that is, to me anyway, somewhat childish and tantrum like

thank goodness Fran doesn't do that, I wonder if KF is having a late mid life crisis or his ego has grown too big or something, who knows, but it isn't pretty

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If KF truly is serious about never returning punts, then the Special Teams coach should have his salary reduced by 16.67%. You have 1. Kickoffs 2. Kickoff Returns 3. Punts 4. Punt Returns 5. FGs and 6. FGs Def. Take that one play out of the playbook and you no longer have to practice it, just have the lineman stand up and ensure there is no fake and don't even put anyone back to fair catch it.

This is so fucking stupid that this is even being brought up. We've got one of the highest paid coaches in the country and he really....REALLY.....cannot figure out this special teams shit? Pisses me off.

gengljer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uhh...makes me nervous but if we can't stop an onside kick WHEN we know it's coming why wouldn't more teams just do it every kickoff. They have a better than 50/50 chance of getting the ball back.

Clemenza

Capo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what is equally frustrating is that Iowa tries a trick/fake play maaaaaaybe once every 2 to 3 years. I think I'm forgetting one but the last one I can remember was the botched fake FG in the Orange Bowl vs. Ga Tech. So it's like we're getting kicked around repeatedly and not fighting back, nor able to stop it from happening.

Some newby coach making $500K/year....I get it. A seasoned coach who has been in college football and the NFL for the better part of his adult life making millions of millions per year.......zero excuse for that to happen so frequently.